Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing Barrel

Boolit Master at heavens range

Signing Barrel

I have just got my last rifle made and its No. 39, No more, burned out on making them over 50 years, it has 48 in. mark de hass barrel, 7/8s, 1-56 twist 45 cal. fullstock in a Siler Flint lock, I have 15 of them hanging on the wall and signed my name to them all, My wife looked at it and said no one would want them as I have my name on them. ,Now I dont know if I done right or not, What you think. Thanks- Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    I have just got my last rifle made and its No. 39, No more, burned out on making them over 50 years, it has 48 in. mark de hass barrel, 7/8s, 1-56 twist 45 cal. fullstock in a Siler Flint lock, I have 15 of them hanging on the wall and signed my name to them all, My wife looked at it and said no one would want them as I have my name on them. ,Now I dont know if I done right or not, What you think. Thanks- Joe
    I wouldn't care if your name was on them , if they shot strait and the price was right.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Having a name on a gun never slowed me down, if they are good quality.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I agree with all of the above.
    However it could be to the new owners benefit if it were ever stolen. Your name adds another identifiable, unique feature to the rifle.

Look at how many people buy stuff "signed" by sports figures. When and if you decide to sell some include a nice letter stating that it was "specially" made for the new owner, signed of course. All of his Buddies will admire it and say,"I got to get one of them "Joe" rifles, he'll be able to say, better hurry, they ain't makin them anymore.

Send a couple of pictures so we can all "pine" over them. I've seen some custom muzzle loaders being built. It is an art. I've owned a couple of beautiful rifles. I'd be proud to be able to build one.
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

On Heaven's Range

I differ somewhat on this topic.

Having a previous owner's name plastered on a firearm would be a definite deal-breaker...IF IT'S IN PLAIN SIGHT.

A personal ID, name or number or whatever, is not a problem if it's hidden, in such places as under the barrel where the fore-arm conceals it. I do prefer my guns to be at least discreet about their "checkered pasts."

Now, if the owner MADE the rifle, it's perfectly legitimate to apply his name to the handiwork. It adds to the interest, and possibly even raises the value of the piece.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    I suppose if you were or were to become, a historic figure of some sort, it would add to the value. What would add to the value of a gun if it were signed by Daniel Boone or Jessee James, etc., and its providence could be verified?

Otherwise I wouldn't very much care, unless it had been signed by a friend or a relative-- someone with some personal connection, in which case it would be a positive.

Boolit Master
    Joe,
    I think that by signing your name on the gun shows that you are proud of your work and not afraid to let people know.

If someone doesn't think their work is good enough to have people know who did it makes me wonder about their work,

swamp

Moderator Emeritus

I fail to see how having your name engraved on the barrel as the manufacturer is in any way different than having "Remington", "Winchester", "Ruger", etc... on the rifle. In fact, it makes it even more valuable in my opinion because it is "one of a kind" rather than a stamped out factory gun.

I have only built one rifle so far and I have not engraved my name on the barrel YET. The only reason I have not done so is because I haven't learned to engrave well enough to feel up to the job. It WILL have my name on it once I do learn though
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

My opinion is if you are the maker then it adds to the piece if done tastefully. After building 50 guns I would think that makes it easier to track your work in the future if they would garner interest by collectors.

Boolit Master
    Any chance your wife was kidding?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Your art work, your name - be proud and go forth. The estrogen vessel that lives in this house has the fear that she will have to deal with all of it if something happens to me. Remember they do not think like us! Gtek

Boolit Grand Master

I can't see that it ever hurt Hershel House or Bivins any! I mark every gun I make that I am proud of. The ones I am not proud of I scrap.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I can't see that it ever hurt Hershel House or Bivins any! I mark every gun I make that I am proud of. The ones I am not proud of I scrap.
    I bought a muzzle loader from a friend who had made it a few years ago. He had another friend (gun builder) do some "corrective" work on it and wanted him to sign the barrel. Nope; not up to his standards. The rifle he built for me is signed and I'm proud of it!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

yes, they should be signed assuming you can engrave in a neat manner. it was a standard of craftsmanship in the 18th cent.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Boolit Master
    I have a Scheutzen style M/L with a barrel marked "Remington Cast Steel" on the bottom and G.Spangler on the top. He was a Monroe, Wisconsin gunsmith who used Remington barrels like alot of other smiths of the day. Noone ever told me it would make the gun worth less $. On the other hand, I have several with no markings that I wish had something to identify who made them. It's your call really.

Thumbs up

Actually, having a rifle made by smokemjoe would be a large inducement for me to purchase it, as I'm currently looking for a flintlock rifle. For those not aware of smokemjoe, he is an excellent machinist and it shows in his work!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Actually, having a rifle made by smokemjoe would be a large inducement for me to purchase it, as I'm currently looking for a flintlock rifle. For those not aware of smokemjoe, he is an excellent machinist and it shows in his work!
    I just happen to have some flintlock rifles for sale.......
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Ric & smokemjoe, I'd gladly purchase a rifle from either of you, but I've got to sell a few centerfire rifles first. In any event, I'm looking for an unadorned (no patch box, etc), swamped bbl. FL (Siler or Chambers lock) in something like the Lancaster - York, PA style, and .45cal. - .54cal.

Ric, The Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifle was just too heavy for comfortable offhand shooting. Your rehardening of the frizzen and my coning of the inner & outer surfaces of the vent liner made it very reliable. It was also very accurate from a rest. With care it would place 5 shots pretty much touching to 1.5" ES @ 50yd.

If it is the builders name it would not stop me from buying it. A previous owner it would.

I built one gun, a 458 WM. Can't imagine building as many as you did.

Just bought this one, and frankly, I wouldn't care if it had "Mary had a little lamb" inscribed in the barrel. 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast