Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The One and Only Rossi Rio Grande in 38-55 Win!

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't read up to see if I mentioned this or not but I corresponded with TALO about this rifle and the need for a 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win to span the 30-30 Win and 45-70 Govt. -Ranch Dog

I agree, but I wonder if the .35 Rem would be a better choice than the .32 Win. I'm a big fan of both cartridges but wonder if the 35 would make more fiscal sense. How about a 30-30 w/ a 1-16 twist and skip on up from there to to 35 and 38 calibers? Agreed about the pressure on Remlin, Michael. What they need is a bit of competition and I think Rossi is willing to step up and make the levergun game intersting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Wasn't the 375 Big Bore a 375 bore? Many 38-55's are from 377 to 381+ .

DP
    Mine probably is, hasn't been fired in 20 yrs and never slugged it. Shot a .375 (.374) Hornady J-bullet acceptably well, IIRC. Some 35-55's were as tight as .375 as well, according to my Lyman manual. Good point. I have WW .375 brass and dies but wonder if the 38-55 chambering would merit another set of dies? I'm thinking 375 brass would be ok in either. I'll be shooting cast boolits and sizing to fit the bore so could go either way.
    I'm guessing you faced a similar choice, Michael. Why did you go with 35-55?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I did not keep a copy of the TLC379-210-RF, I never liked how it shot Craig.
    I've still got mine , just in case I should be tempted to get another Marlin 375 at a later date .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Mine probably is, hasn't been fired in 20 yrs and never slugged it. Shot a .375 (.374) Hornady J-bullet acceptably well, IIRC. Some 35-55's were as tight as .375 as well, according to my Lyman manual. Good point. I have WW .375 brass and dies but wonder if the 38-55 chambering would merit another set of dies? I'm thinking 375 brass would be ok in either. I'll be shooting cast boolits and sizing to fit the bore so could go either way.
    I'm guessing you faced a similar choice, Michael. Why did you go with 35-55?
    They do not recommend using 38-55 and 375 BB brass intercheageably. Both are similar and the 375 has gained some acceptance with BP Schuetzen target shooters. The 38-55 in a target single shot is also very accurate. I am fond of the 38-55 and if I had one made up like Ranch Dog, I would make sure it was properly throated to use WW brass. It is a very interesting caliber but I do not load mine quite as hot as some do, but do exceed factory ballistics. Berfore I started doing as much casting I did get a couple of deer with the Barnes OS 250 grain bullets loaded to 1600 fps. If I did my part the 38-55 will do its part.
    I definitely would get a 35 Remington before a 32 special as it is a step up from the 30-30.

DP

Boolit Grand Master

I definitely would get a 35 Remington before a 32 special as it is a step up from the 30-30.

DP

True enough. The 32 is a small step up from the 30-30 but the 35 Rem isn't a very big step up. The 30-30, 32 Spl, 35 Rem are all very capable medium caliber, medium velocity hunting rifle cartridges IMHO. The 38-55 and 375 are also small steps above with the 358 Win somewhere in the mix as well. I only have four of the six, won't be happy until I have them all. Then there's the .405 and somehow we skipped the .348........
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 02-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Good choice! I have a Marlin 336 30/30 that Jes did the 38-55 thing to. Got it on gunbroker been test fired 7 times,had new skinner sights peep and untrimed front sight. I was the only bidder, and he had 2. I wished I was working more so I could of bought both.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    They do not recommend using 38-55 and 375 BB brass intercheageably. Both are similar and the 375....

DP
    True. I realized reading this thread that the only thing keeping me from selling my BB was finding something to do with the brass and dies. Doing a project like his in 375 would overcome that objection. If I do it in 38-55 I could probably use the brass I have on hand. My .375 BB is useless to me, it's a 98% gun and I'm not willing to damage it by adding receiver or tang sights and taking it hunting. I can install a scope or peeps to make a nice hunting rifle out of the Rossi and wouldn't worry about a few scratches or dings. I don't need another hunting rifle; I won't live long enough to get good use out of the hunting rifles I have, but that's another matter.

Boolit Grand Master

Any updates, Michael?

Rifling Rationale

Michael
    I noticed in one of the pictures showing a 50 YD group that your rile had five lands and grooves. What is the rationale for choosing five as opposed to the four or three option? I'm glad you posted this project. I've wanted a good 38/55 for a long time now and have not been able to find one.
    Owen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Any updates, Michael?
    None really. I have not shot it a lot in that required no fiddling with the load work. Just been too busy around the rancho.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by peterso View Post
    Michael
    I noticed in one of the pictures showing a 50 YD group that your rile had five lands and grooves. What is the rationale for choosing five as opposed to the four or three option? I'm glad you posted this project. I've wanted a good 38/55 for a long time now and have not been able to find one.
    Owen
    Unfortunately, I can't offer much as I didn't put much thought into it. I'm not sure why JES offers the odd ball number of grooves. Al my leverguns and pistols have 6 groove unless they are Marlin Micro-Grooved barrels.
    Michael

There is a theory that an odd number of grooves is better because when they line up there are no grooves directly opposite each other. Pressure ???? British buy into it. DIIKnow.

DP

Part of the odd groove is the cutter is supported when cutting rifling