RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The One and Only Rossi Rio Grande in 38-55 Win!

Boolit Master

The One and Only Rossi Rio Grande in 38-55 Win!

Based on my satisfaction with my Rio Grande chambered in 45-70, I thought this series is just begging for a 38-55 Win. I bought a new 3030B and sent it to JES Reboring to have the rifle rebore/rechambered to 38-55. Rather quickly, I packaged the rifle up and sent it to JES as I knew I would not do the work if I put much thought into. You see, after shooting it as a 30-30, I found that it would go head to head with any of my Marlins and outdo a couple of them on the initial accuracy with a wide variety of ammo.

Using QuickLoad, I went straight to a 30.0K PSI load and it was right on the money with the velocity. My bullets are 95/5, wheelweights/tin, with some #8 shot added to increase the antimony and then water quenched. On the LBT BHN Tester then are 21 BHN. Will pump up the PSI on the load this coming week.

I will end up running this up to 42.0K PSI, about what a 21 BHN bullet can survive at. That will be about 2050 FPS for the 235-grain bullet, the same as my Marlin 375.

Steelbanger, Tom Myers (TMT), and I will be working on a more traditional 38-55 bullet in the 250-grain neighborhood.

Rossi is really in a great position, in that they control the total manufacturing environment, to really complement the Rio Grande product line with the introduction of rifles chambered in 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win. They would fit nicely between the 30-30 Win and 45-70 Govt. Rossi has always seen great support form the CAS crowd and fellows interested in traditional style rifles so I think they would be well received.

How sweet would it be if the chambered their '92 in the original cartridges; 32-20, 38-40, and the 44-40 Win. I believe they would turn a lot of heads. While they are at it, they could give us an affordable 86/71 action chambered in 33 Win, 348 Win, and the 45-70 Govt. Marlin (Remington) would be wondering what hit them. I did mention this to the TALO group, in that they have done quite a bit of work with Taurus/Rossi, and even received a reply that it was a very good idea that deserved consideration!

Rossi-Rifleman
    Michael

I realize that the 38-55 has attractions, but if I were to rebore the 375 Wichester does not sound all bad either if I want that power. It does have a use for those dirty J word bullets. It is still and interesting experiment and I will looking at further tests as I do like my 38-55.

DP
    Last edited by northmn; 02-17-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Master

JES will do either and I have both. The 375 and 38-55 Win are equals in the modern levergun.
    Michael

Banned

michael, this is the same one you showed over at the rossi leverguns sight right??
    http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/
    shameless plug ^^^^^^^
    and rossi did make a 44-40 i have one,actually passed on a 454 and 480 to grab it.
    really want those still.
    but the 32-20,38-40,25-20,41 mag,218 bee,22 hornet,327 fed.
    any of the supermags 357,375,414,445, or the 360DW,10mm,45 win mag,460 S&W,and i could go on, would be pretty cool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Great stuff. These sell pretty cheap here, (well cheap compared to a Marlin), but no one does re-boring. They should start turning up cheap second hand anytime soon and would be neat with a re-barrel/re-bore. I have always fancied a 32/40 and a 35Remington, but 30/30s are like black T Model Fords here, everyone's favourite (read all that is ever available).

We saw a bit of variety when the 94 Big Bores were on sale many years ago and there is the odd 38/55 Marlin, but since the demise/passing of the big bores, it is back to everyone's favourite again. I have only ever seen a few of the 38/55 Marlins on the cowboy shooting circuit and those owners said they were on the phone for months scouring shops all over the country. There must be a few 38/55s around because ammo isn't that hard to get. I had a BB375W, but managed to convince myself that I could get by without it????
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-13-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog,

That's just plain cruel showing us that 38-55! I was just looking for a 30-30 Rio Grande and now I will need a couple more. I really want a 32 Special, as that is what my favorite uncle used when I was young. I also would love to see a Rossi 92 in 32-20, 25-20 or even 218 Bee. My Rossi Puma was a mediocre shooter till it met your 432-265, now it can shoot tiny little groups a 50yds. Hopefully Rossi will see the light and add some of these calibers.

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    OOOOOOHHHHHH I want one in 327 Federal! Yes I do!

T-o-m

Boolit Master

Me too. I have a 327 Ruger 8 shooter in Stainless Steel and I would love to have a levergun in the same caliber.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, I found a box of 500 375 commercial boolits tonight, if they don't feed in the 375H&H, I'll just have to go out and buy me a 38/55 or a 375W, I have a few 375 moulds and lotza gaschecks as well, wouldn't want to waste them.

Now, if they turned out a side eject flat top 92 in 25/20, 32/20, 357/38 and 44 I reckon they would sell. I have all of these in Rossi and original Winchesters, but would love a flat top for use with a low powered scope. 25/20 and 32/20 Marlins are as rare as rocking horse poop and sell the moment they come on the market. I'd jump on a 25/20 and a 32/20. Probably end up buying the two Rossis for the price of a second hand Marlin.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    327 for me too. Have 94 in 32h&r i will rechamber
    when i can get to feed the 327 round.

Boolit Grand Master

There's something I like about that rifle. Not sure exactly what, pretty sure I'll need to obtain one (two?) and explore the matter further. Should sell my minty Big Bore, buy 2, have one rebored to .375.
    Nicely done, Michael. Looks like you have another keeper.
    If you don't mind me asking, why 5-groove?
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 02-16-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why 5-groove?
    Because he doesn't offer a 6-groove. Not sure why.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post

I will end up running this up to 42.0K PSI, about what a 21 BHN bullet can survive at. That will be about 2050 FPS for the 235-grain bullet, the same as my Marlin 375.

Steelbanger, Tom Myers (TMT), and I will be working on a more traditional 38-55 bullet in the 250-grain neighborhood.

Rossi is really in a great position, in that they control the total manufacturing environment, to really complement the Rio Grande product line with the introduction of rifles chambered in 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win.
    WHile I liked the 235 grain bullet and a 250 grainer sounds intresting I'd be curiouse to know how this rifle did with your original 379-210GC bullet ?

I always liked that one better then the 235 grainer !

And as to the 32 Special thing I was gonna suggest you rebore one to 32-40 , but in my minds eye the 32 Special is almost as much fun as the 32-40 !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    WHile I liked the 235 grain bullet and a 250 grainer sounds intresting I'd be curiouse to know how this rifle did with your original 379-210GC bullet ?

I always liked that one better then the 235 grainer !

And as to the 32 Special thing I was gonna suggest you rebore one to 32-40 , but in my minds eye the 32 Special is almost as much fun as the 32-40 !
    I did not keep a copy of the TLC379-210-RF, I never liked how it shot Craig.
    Michael

OK Michael... How bad was the damage to rebore/re-barrel? (Know the base rifle is very reasonable...)

And for the record - I almost hate you for posting projects like this!

Boolit Grand Master

Because he doesn't offer a 6-groove. Not sure why. -Ranch Dog

Noticed that on the site, seems the 5-groove has a bit of history as well. I have several years' supply of .375 Win brass and a pristine Big Bore that I really need to sell to a collector. A Rio Grande in .375 w/ a 2-7 Leupold or Redfield would ensure that brass didn't go to waste.
    Keep us posted, Michael. I don't see much chance of Rossi chambering a rifle in .375 so I bookmarked JES's website. Seem like good folks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    OK Michael... How bad was the damage to rebore/re-barrel? (Know the base rifle is very reasonable...)
    The rifle cost me $409 out the door. JES charges $250 which includes the return shipping. It was another $20 to get it there. So, all said I'm in this rifle $679. That is a lot but it doesn't matter to me because I have what I want, a real tight 38-55 Win.

I'm shooting it with my standard Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 X 32 but recently purchased a Banner 1.5-6 X 21 Lite-Site Scope for it at a reasonable price. These scopes were in production in the 60-70's but I never could afford one. They have the Bushnell multiplex reticle with a .25 dot superimposed on the the crosshairs with the push of a switch. I will be using this rifle as my "bean field" rifle out in my food plots at dusk and dark dealing with my feral hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    And for the record - I almost hate you for posting projects like this!
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Keep us posted, Michael. I don't see much chance of Rossi chambering a rifle in .375 so I bookmarked JES's website. Seem like good folks.
    I didn't read up to see if I mentioned this or not but I corresponded with TALO about this rifle and the need for a 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win to span the 30-30 Win and 45-70 Govt. They surprised me in that they immediately wrote back and said it was a great idea that deserved consideration. I don't know if they will really act on it but they do have a history of working with both Taurus and Rossi.

With Rossi having those four basic cartridges in the Rio Grande lineup, they would really put the heat to Remlin. Very basic cartridges, the three related to each other and all four with relatively mild max pressures. That would be one heck of a lineup.
    Michael

Wasn't the 375 Big Bore a 375 bore? Many 38-55's are from 377 to 381+ . I have a 38-55 Marlin that needs a little more work, but required Starline Brass to get it to shoot at its best as that permitted the use of as cast bullets. Now its a matter of matching velocity to alloy. As stated both are good cartridges, just wondered about the use of a tighter bore.

DP

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like a 41 mag, 327mag and 38-40 for starters. So few Marlin 41's out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast