Hello, everyone. Last summer, I started shooting black powder again..used to shoot alot, 20 years ago, but became discusted with then available powders.
Then I bought a couple of originals & heard good things about Swiss.
I have made my own lube for years..both for black & smokeless..in getting back to black..I wanted to do it right & have a benchmark to compare my own to..so I am using SPG..both as bullet lube & grease cookie.
I recently obtained a good supply of lamb kidney fat..this I will render down to tallow.
Not wanting to re-invent the wheel..I thought I would ask the experts what they use.
Now here is what I am using in an original Ballard No. 3 in .25-25 Stevens.
20.5gr. Swiss 3FG, 1/32" dental beeswax overpowder wad (to prevent lube migration), 1/16" SPG "cookie", & a 1/32" B.W. wad on top. Rest of case filled to bullet base with Puff-lon ballistic filler & an original Ideal 25736 seated with Ideal No. 3 tong tool.
At 50yds. with vernier tang, & windage globe front, I am grouping in 3/8"
The other rifle, an Remington mid-range rolling block in .40-70 has not been taken out yet..but I plan on using same type G.C. with it.
Since my hope is when the "big light" comes on, everything will vaporize & mix with fouling, to soften..I don't want any hardeners..like beeswax.
If anything I would think softer would be better..Wondering if I should just use straight tallow cookie, or try adding castor oil, neatsfoot, or jo-joba oils?
Thanks alot!