MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Brass Tumbler Math Demystified

Thanks Catshooter. I have built 6 of them so far for local shooters, I am getting really got at it. First one took me about 3 hours, now my last one I was done in under 2 hours. I guess you learn a few short cuts along the way.

Nanuk: Went out to the range today and shot off 8 boxes of .38 spl thru the old Uberti revolver and on the last box , the first cylinder full I pulled back the hammer and the hand broke. Oh well it had to go sometime, I think this is the third hand that I have replaced but I have thousands of rounds thru it and it is my back up anyway.

When I got home I put the tumbler barrel on the rollers empty to see if it would stall and I ran it for 10 minutes without incident so I guess it was just really stiff bearings that needed to be loosened up as I mentioned before.

I found some 30-06 range brass that was out all winter in the same general area as the ones I found earlier, the snow had melted some more for me to see them. 3 hours in the tumbler with the 38 spl brass and they look brand new again. Amazing.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

And yet another thread made virtually useless thanks to the changes at Photobucket...

Yep, I run into it all the time on forums. Photobucket doesn't deserve to have any business from anyone!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, I run into it all the time on forums. Photobucket doesn't deserve to have any business from anyone!
    I used to store mine on my Google Drive storage and Google provided a method where you could share the photos embedded into web pages. Unfortunately, they changed that and I had to go back to all my old posts and change the URLs to the new location that I used for storage of the photos. At least with this site, you can edit your old posts, but on many sites, there is a time limit on how old of a post you can edit. I'm thinking that it *might* be possible to do it via Google Sites also, but they've changed that over the years, so it's probably not good to rely on them to stay the same either.

Boolit Buddy
    dang, i red threw that hole post hoping for new pic's at the end ............

Boolit Master

Manipulate the math or buy a $20 router controller to modify the motor speed.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Eliminate the math entirely by getting a gear motor and use a direct drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7373AAFF-607E-43D8-B29F-2C50284F91BA.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    And yet another thread made virtually useless thanks to the changes at Photobucket...
    Think it's bad on gun forums? Automotive forums have been gutted because of it. Almost all the DIY threads are now useless. Since repair manuals, actual repair manuals, for newer vehicles are virtually nonexistent those threads were indispensable.

Boolit Master
    way back when we did a lot of brass. we used a cement mixer lined it and the paddles with rubber. we could do large amounts of brass.

Yes Photobucket sucks big time! I got around all that by simply storing all my pics in "My Pictures" in Windows.

I have literally thousands of pics of my Jeep Project and they would have been irreplaceable if stored in Photobucket. I would have sued them ! I have over 900 pics on my build thread at 4BTSWAPS.com

Can't understand why more people didn't store in their home computers.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

The TRUTH about "Cloud Storage is emerging. Those pictures and files you store "In the Cloud" no longer belong to you as the creator; they now belong to whatever Corporate "Cloud" entity has the file. I am a strong advocate that NONE of my files are stored "In the Cloud" if I can help it.

Similar lesson - different specifics - that I passed on to the Son's numerous times. If you are paying the bank or credit card company for an item YOU DO NOT OWN IT. If we are relying on an Interment "Hosting" or "Cloud Hosting" site to link our files, we no longer own it or control it; we are renting it or using it at their pleasure. Same goes for annual fees to use a Word Processor or other software.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yes Photobucket sucks big time! I got around all that by simply storing all my pics in "My Pictures" in Windows.

I have literally thousands of pics of my Jeep Project and they would have been irreplaceable if stored in Photobucket. I would have sued them ! I have over 900 pics on my build thread at 4BTSWAPS.com

Can't understand why more people didn't store in their home computers.
    Hopefully, you backup those photos to other machines / drives / or DVDs periodically. Having them stored in one place is dangerous whether they are just at an online site like Photobucket or on your local hard drive.

My philosophy is to store the master copy of photos on local computers and to also have copies online of the ones where I want to link to them directly from posts in forums. That keeps me from having to upload the photo each time I want to reference it. It also means that if I've posted a link to that photo to multiple forums and I have a better photo that I want to use, all I have to do is replace the original photo that they all link to and it will get used by all the different sites where I originally posted it. For the most part though, I just store the smaller resolution photos online and keep the full resolution photos locally. There's rarely a good reason to post a 4Kx3K resolution photo online. Web forum posts should probably resized to be around 320x200 to 640x480 in size and at a higher JPEG compression so that you don't adversely affect those who are viewing the posts on cell phones with limited bandwidth.

Boolit Master
    I was told that you can always download your images from photobucket, you just can't use them on third party sites like forums that we all did.....

I keep getting emails to upgrade my account, what a deal, about $400, i give them the big middle finger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I was told that you can always download your images from photobucket, you just can't use them on third party sites like forums that we all did.....

I keep getting emails to upgrade my account, what a deal, about $400, i give them the big middle finger.
    $400? That's ridiculous... You can get a real web hosting company with pretty much unlimited bandwidth & storage and your own domain for a lot less than that -- around $10US per month, IIRC.

If you have a Gmail.com email account (or are willing to get one), you might be able to use Google Sites to store your photo and link it here... I have one, so let me give it a try. Come to think of it, I might have tried this before, but I don't remember whether it worked... Here goes...

It worked!

So, that might be an option for some people...
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 12-18-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Banned
    I Get free treadmills on craigslist, you get the motor, variable speed control, rollers, belt pulleys and a steel frame to work with.

Boolit Master
    I have used tinypic too, google isn't a bad idea, hopefully they won't pull the photobucket BS later on.

Boolit Master

I have used tinypic too, google isn't a bad idea, hopefully they won't pull the photobucket BS later on.
    I suspect that Google won't do the same thing that Photobucket did... They will do something *different*...

They previously had something that I believe was called Google Pages... So, you create your personal web page there and it all seemed good... Then they changed it to Google Sites and the URL changed plus their "port" of your page either looked completely different or it just did not have the same capability as the previous Google Pages. I think what happens is that they have some kids for developers over there and they just want to try new things and don't care about backward compatibility.

Since it was possible to link directly to a JPEG store there, I have to wonder if I could create a folder on the site and store HTML and JPEG files there and use it as a true hosting site and not be constrained by the look and feel that they impose on you with their templates.

So, I created a subfolder of "web" and put an HTML file in it. Getting the link to the actual file ended up with this:

https://sites.google.com/site/navyve...on-factors.htm

When I click on it, the browser asks me whether I want to just download the file or to open it in another browser window. That's not acceptable behavior for a web page link, so I would say that it doesn't really work that well for that purpose.

And if I go into the HTML editor for the "web" page and paste the contents of "conversion-factors.htm" into it, it tells me that some of the HTML tags that I'm using are not allowed and the page looks a bit different than when I coded the raw HTML.

So, I would say that for now, storing JPEG images and linking them in posts on other forums is probably safe, but doing the same with HTML pages is not really usable.

Boolit Grand Master

Homemade Brass Tumbler Math Demystified

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    The TRUTH about "Cloud Storage is emerging. Those pictures and files you store "In the Cloud" no longer belong to you as the creator; they now belong to whatever Corporate "Cloud" entity has the file.
    All this was in the TOS. If people don't read them, I know they're ridiculous, that's on them. In this case ownership was clearly stated early on in the TOS. It's why I don't host pics of my children or family on there. Same w/ pics of myself. I think I've uploaded a total of two pics of myself since I started using the internet in the mid nineties.

None of the pics were lost on Photobucket. They just stopped allowing third party hosting. I used a service in the past that did shut down and I lost those pics. People that don't store pics on their physical computer are begging to lose them.

Flickr is still free and allows third party hosting. You retain more rights over the pictures. The site was designed for photographers. But the app doesn't generate links for the pics. And the workaround through a browser, in desktop mode, is cumbersome. Since most people access the internet on their phones this is a dumb decision on their part. For most people on this site it won't effect them one bit.

Boolit Master
    Someone always wants to fiddle....

That is essentially what i wanted to do too. I have web space with my ISP, but it is only about 20 meg, i upload files there and link to forums from it. I know this data is safe, but simply not enough of it to be of any real use. I don't know how google drive works, if you could store files there and the location was static or not, or if you must have a login and password to gain access.

Worst case, i could get a server somewhere with space, and simply use that, but the issue is if the company goes bust, data is gone. The only way around it is to have your own hostmark and backups of all data, so no matter what happens, your data can be put back up with the same links but a different server. How far do you go?

Boolit Master

Someone always wants to fiddle....

That is essentially what i wanted to do too. I have web space with my ISP, but it is only about 20 meg, i upload files there and link to forums from it. I know this data is safe, but simply not enough of it to be of any real use. I don't know how google drive works, if you could store files there and the location was static or not, or if you must have a login and password to gain access.

Worst case, i could get a server somewhere with space, and simply use that, but the issue is if the company goes bust, data is gone. The only way around it is to have your own hostmark and backups of all data, so no matter what happens, your data can be put back up with the same links but a different server. How far do you go?
    Google Drive *used* to work, but they changed it so that you can't host photos to embed into web pages anymore.

If you go with normal web hosting provider with your own domain, even if the web hosting provider goes out of business, you still own the domain and all your links are relative to the domain, so you would just need to get another web hosting provider and upload your web to it. As long as you consider your local PC to be the main copy of your web files and the ones on the web site as just supplemental copies, it will not be too painful if you have to switch web hosting providers. If you are one of those people who think that storing the primary files "in the cloud" / on the net somewhere to be acceptable, then you will probably be in for a rude awakening one day and we'll get to say, "Well, I told you so..."

If the $10 per month for hosting your own domain seems too much for you, then you could get together with a couple of friends and split that among a few people. As long as no one went crazy with storing full resolution images and sharing them on the site, an account could probably be shared by a dozen friends and the web hosting provider wouldn't even notice the bandwidth being used. Now, if you started sharing video files, it would probably get noticed since they can be rather large.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast