Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine ?

Boolit Master

M1 Carbine ?

For those of you who are using cast what size seems to be normal? I'm looking at .310" ,but i believe i will try to slug barrel again.

Any recomondations on molds?

Powder?

thanks
    DWD

This is the one I like the best:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131...oint-gas-check
    it has a profile very similar to the jacketed bullets. However, this one:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/239...dius-gas-check
    will work with a little tweaking. I size to .310 with no problems. Powder that I use is H110/Win296

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on the M1 and the cases. I've had some M1/M2 Carbines not chamber .310 sized cast in some LC cases. I switched to .309 sizing of my cast for the .30 Carbine and have'nt had a problem since. Never found any accuracy difference between .309 and .310.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I have cast thousands of the RCBS boolit and normally size to .309 for both of my M1 carbines.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Le Loup Solitaire

30 Carbine sizing with cast

I use H&G #254 BB(no GC) 115 grain and RCBS 120 grain RN with GC both sized .309 and not seen any difference in accuracy either in the carbine or the Ruger revolver using G.I. cases and IMR 4227 powder. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

I use 2 lee molds, the 113gr RFN and the 120gr RN. Both are gas-checked. I also have one carbine that like .311" but shoots decent with no leading with a .310", the other could use .309" with no problem.

So I size to .310" and both rifles are happy.

The 120gr RN will feed great in both guns, the 113gr RFN feeds about 75% in one gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I size anywhere from 308 to 311 and have found very little difference in group size. I'm still working on it trying for that MOA from a GI carbine.

The reloading dies make a difference too. My RCBS set came with a .305" expander, which was tearing up cast boolits and resizing them when they were seated. I made a .308" one to replace it, and now they load slick and without damage. A lot more accurate as well.

My carbine is an Inland from the CMP and it shoots the Lee 113 gr RN, gas checked, sized .309. My two favorite powders are 16 gr of H116 and 11 gr of 2400. There are few other firearms that are more fun for me to shoot than my M1.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Grand Master

For full throttle .30 carbine loads out of the M1 Carbine (1850 - 1950 fps) with the best accuracy GC'ed bullets like the Lyman 311359, the RCBS 30-115-SP and Lee's C309-120-R are very good M1 carbine bullets and feed reliably. For a little better terminal effectiveness a FN like the Lee C309-113-F and the older Lyman 311316 are very good. A little polishing of feed ramps and tweaking of magazine lips can make those Carbines that don't feed those cast bullets initially very reliable will make them very reliable with these cast bullets.

My favorite .30 Carbine cast bullet for the M1 Carbine is the Lyman 313631, a GC'd 105 gr SWC designed for the 32 H&R. I load these at 1950 fps over H110 and when cast of WWs + 2% tin they are very , very accurate. I size them at .309 as mentioned in my 1st post. They are deadly, especially when HP'd with the Forster 1/8" HP tool, on varmints. I have bagged many a coyote on call with the M1 Carbine when they come in fast and furious. Back "in the day" when my eyes were good and I could see the front sight clearly I could put a mag of 15 into 2 1/2 - 3 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. Now I have to use scope of red dot, prefer the red dot "scout" set up.

Larry Gibson

BTW; my favorite J bullets are the Hornady 100 gr HJ and the Hornady 90 gr XTP.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use .310"
    I like the NOE 311115

Boolit Master

Actually, the correct size jacketed bullets for the M1 carbine are .3075, not .308. So anything .309 and over should be fine in a little used barrel. But remember, slug your barrel. The size you need depends on the amount of wear your barrel has.

My .30 M1 is an IBM with an oversized bore that is over .310 and an Inland barrel that will screw in by hand. I have used 311316 and 311359 sized to .311 with great accuracy. I tried 311410 but it doesn't shoot to the sights and I hate having to change the front sight to accomodate it. I am amazed that it shoots so well with a hand tight barrel but it doesn't seem to hurt the brass either, so the headspace must be OK, never had a primer back out. In the USAF I was able to score Marksman with a carbine that had to be completely worn out. They seem to be indestructable. I don't shoot the IBM much anymore as it flings the brass and I lose too many. I doubt if 1 moa is possible.
    Last edited by michiganvet; 02-18-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    BR guns are made with screw-in-by-hand barrels, or just a little bit more, depending on screw dimensions. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    BR guns are made with screw-in-by-hand barrels, or just a little bit more, depending on screw dimensions. ... felix
    That may explain my results. WHODATHUNKIT?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yeah, could be, but don't bet on it. If the twist is right-turn from chamber, then the barrel should be right-turn from muzzle to install. This configuration won't allow the barrel to untwist from the action when shot. The trick, actually, is to eliminate any binding between action and barrel, such that the torque required to install the barrel is absolutely the same all the way through the installation of that barrel. Besides, the best barrel threading "job" usually is made with almost square threads, looking somewhat like a very fast rifling. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    My pet load for my carbine is a Lee 120 gr. gas checked bullet sized to .309 over 12.5 grains of H110. Shoots great for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I obtained moa with one of my carbines but it was with the Sierra 110gr JHP. Used 296 to propel it and a little Simmons 4X scope to see where it was going.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I'm going to be using the Lee 120 grain round nose GC boolit for my carbine loads; ......And I was wondering what OAL to go with. If I seat to match the minimum overall length shown in my manuals, the front lube groove is exposed.

Can I seat it to 1.600" without creating possible feed problems???

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    I'm going to be using the Lee 120 grain round nose GC boolit for my carbine loads; ......And I was wondering what OAL to go with. If I seat to match the minimum overall length shown in my manuals, the front lube groove is exposed.

Can I seat it to 1.600" without creating possible feed problems???

Kent
    Seat so the case mouth just covers the front lube groove and try it for feeding. If at home to test feeding load the bullets in empty cases (dummy cartridges) for safety's sake. Five cartridges should do it.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast