RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powders For Garand

Boolit Master

Enough 4895 to push 150/155gr bullets 2600/2700fps is the only load I use in the Garand. I only use it for fun and not competition.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

I "assume" the OP was asking about powders for cast bullets in the Garand! If that is NOT TRUE than 4895 is the right counsel. If that IS TRUE then we are into a different ball game.

All that matters is the port pressure. When we shoot cast bullets at the normal 1.6-2.0 K fps, many powders including some quite fast pistol powders will produce a good safe port pressure in the Garand that will not damage the operating rod.

I would refer the OP to BruceB's stick on cast bullets in the MIA for some good information.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I "assume" the OP was asking about powders for cast bullets in the Garand! If that is NOT TRUE than 4895 is the right counsel. If that IS TRUE then we are into a different ball game.

All that matters is the port pressure. When we shoot cast bullets at the normal 1.6-2.0 K fps, many powders including some quite fast pistol powders will produce a good safe port pressure in the Garand that will not damage the operating rod.

I would refer the OP to BruceB's stick on cast bullets in the MIA for some good information.
    My question was about powders for cast in the Garand. I assumed that resulting posts addressed that.

Is this the thread(Sticky) that you referred to? (http://tinyurl.com/7eoyj6l) If so, does the information (NOT loads) apply to the Garand as well as the M1A?

When I expanded my search, I found several threads that addressed loads for the Garand and cast.

Thanks
    John
    W.TN

Yes, that is indeed the thread. The loads are for the 308 round, but the principals involved are the same. It will give you some insight on how cast bullets in these gas operating rifles work.

When dealing with cast bullets in general, the "cookbook" loads are few and far between. We meed to understand the principals and go from there.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

You mean there is a better powder for the Garand with cast boolits than IMR 4895? I have used IMR 4350, Reloder 15, IMR 4064, and even Varget. Nothing works better in my experience for cast boolits (180 to 210 grains) in the M1 Garand than real IMR (well maybe H4895 too) 4895. 35 to 37 grains will work the action and still give good accuracy assuming boolits are at least BHN18 and seated correctly. A good lube helps too. Now it you can get one of those adjustable gas plugs, who knows? Actually, my best accuracy is 19 grains of Alliant 2400 and Lyman # 314299. Don't expect this to auto-load however.

Oh, drat, I have to look that up again. Look up what? Here's a link to a a quickload spreadsheet done by parashooter which will show you what powders will safely produce a 2000fps load with 311284 and NOT produce enough pressure to harm the op rod. He has taken the pressure produced by a standard load of 4895, 10,587PSI as the "Never exceed" op rod pressure, and has thus discovered that quite a few powders someone will surely tell you "ISN'T SAFE IN THE GARAND", and come up with some interesting possibilities for cast bullets in the Garand: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...ghlight=garand It opens up a great variety of powders for cast in the Garand. By the way, you'll never need one of those adjustable plugs unless you're planning on shooting jacketed with something slower than the recommended powders for the Garand. An example would be a caseful of RL19 with 150gr bullets.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Good info and all madsen, but do you still have that hat?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Like the others have said on this thread...4895 is the standard. I use that primarily but on occasion use others in the same burning range including IMR-4064 and WIN 748.
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12