Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Attention Ruger Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Ruger is famous (or perhaps notorious) for that. I remember when they first announced the mini 14, it was 3 years 'til the first ones hit retail racks.
    I think it is Rugers way of Market Research. Make something that looks good to the public then see how many people are actually serious about purchasing the item and then they decide to produce the item.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

The problem that Ruger has right now is that they are running 3 shifts balls to the wall, they cannot hire the engineers they need to branch out on other product lines, and if they did have them they would only be assigned tasks on the most profitable projects.

You mentioned AR's. AR's and 1911's are the most popular guns going right now hence they make both.

Just to show how serious they are about this concept, (which is good business by the way) They are not producing the RGS77 Ruger Gunsite carbine in any other caliber than .308. IE: there will be no .223 version.

Reason? They are selling all of the .308 versions they can make now so why branch off. Also there is no shortgage of .223 cal rifles so the market for that gun would be limited.

The market for your gun, and I must confess I have been looking for a #1 action for along time to do exactly what you want, is so limited that it would not be profitable to do a run of even 100 of them (minimum run) I personally think they would sell them all in a heartbeat, but I don't get to make the decisions on what they will make.

Ruger also makes most of the gun barrels for everyone else's guns in the US, save for Remington, so that part of the shop is maxed out all the time.

If you look at all of the different types of successful guns that Ruger makes (they have by far the widest selection of any firearms mfg in this country) You'll note that virtually all of them are good sellers and hence Ruger is one of the best , if not the best,,, run gun company in this country. They got that way by giving the most people what they want as much as possible.

All that said, I'd like one built like this too. I also agree with the 26-28" barrel point made above however I would extend that to 30-34"

Also if you want to bitch at someone why not get BPCS outfit to get off their exposed hammer kick so people with #1's could compete. There is absolutely no advantage to the hammerless or hidden hammer gun in a competition like BPCS. The only advantage to the exposed hammer is you can tell if the gun is cocked just by looking, with the Ruger if the lever is open the gun is safe and if it is closed it is cocked. What's so hard about that.? But NOoooo! I guess the Farquarson action from England was to modern for them. If they loosened up then Ruger would have a market for that gun, and you would probably see a gun for that discipline,,, In limited quantities.

I have a friend that has a #1 with a custom long 28" barrel some guy in Prescott made 25 years ago. 10.5 lbs It is chambered in .458 mag. I shot it a bunch 20 years ago and loved it, and have been trying to get it away from him ever since. I would redo the chamber to .45-70 or 90. They never changed the extractor on that gun so it doesn't eject right, it still has the rimmed case extractor in it even though the gun is chambered for a belted cartridge. This is the first thing I would change about it.. It also has a Williams sight on it that I would throw away in favor of a Lyman with a long slide, which probably would be frowned on by the purests too.

But, alas,,, he won't turn loose of it.

And I would like to use it in BPCS, but that probably won't happen either.

The only option is if you want something special you have to make it yourself.

Sorry,,, I'm bummed too! But reality trumps my wishes most of the time.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234