Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .35 Remington

Boolit Master

.35 Remington

I'm finally gonna start reloading for my .35 Rem Marlin 336! I have dies and a few J-words but I'd like to cast for this rifle. Is there any other "special" dies I need for the .35 to handload cast boolits?
    What brand brass is suggested, Remington or Winchester?

Boolit Grand Master
    Lefty,

I am fairly new to the .35 Remington myself. I am guessing that you have one of the standard two die rifle sets?

If so you will need an expander to load boolits; the standard answer is to get a Lyman M die, but if you already load for .38/.357, you can try the neck expander from that set of dies.

I am using the RCBS two die set, and expanding the necks with a C-H .38 special die.

I crimp with a standard roll crimp using the RCBS seater; it works for me, so I haven't gotten a Lee factory crimp die.

The only brass I have used to date is Remington-- it was what I found first. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it had to be trimmed before the first loading.

Robert

Boolit Master

Welcome to the 35 Remy its a great cartridge. I use Lee dies and expand with a RCBS 357 expander also bought a Lee crimp die, works great. A couple of really good boolits are Ranch Dogs and Noe has a RCBS clone that weights about 205 both shoot really good in my rifle. 3031 works best for me for heavy loads and for a light plinking load a light charge of RED DOT with about any .357 boolit shoots very well.

I wouldn't worry about the brand of brass just get whatever you can find, sometimes that is a problem. I have both and they seem to work equally well I do keep them seperate.

Richard

Boolit Master

Just the expander is all you'll need extra.

After the first firing, I just neck size my cases and have had no problems in my old 336.

Most .35s seem to have a short throat so expect that when you start loading./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on the loads you might also want to get a NS die + the expander. The mould you'll want is the RCBS 35-200-FN. It is the mould for the 35 Remington.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson speaks wisdom. I would go further and say that the 35-200-fn is a great boolit in any .35 cal cartridge. Its one of those special boolits that just seems to work in anything.
    Irregaurless of what boolit you use, you should first slug your barrel and see what size you are going to need. Order up a lyman M die and get it so that it will put about .0015 press on the boolit, while the guide section is .001 over the size of the boolit. I promise that will get you close. Also, before you go spending a lot of hard cash on molds, ask if you can try the ones you are considering. If you are willing to pay shipping and a little money for the casters time, most folks here will send you a pile of whatever boolit you want. You try it. If its a flop, you're only out $6-$15 instead of the cost of a mold you cant use. If you would like to try the RCBS-35-200-FN, shoot me your address and I will pop 100 of them in the mail for you, no charge.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Also, I am a machinist by trade, and I can help you get that M die tunes to your rifle if you need help with that.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I am a tool&die maker and machinist as well. I already load for 357 mag so I guess Ill try that expander first. I have some cast boots someone gave
    me but they measure .358. Can I use these to slug my barrel? How do you slug a rifle barrel? Do you start at the muzzle?
    What's the deal about being careful not setting back the case shoulder? What happens if you do? And how do I know if I accidentally do that?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    RCBS 35-200 FN....+1
    Last edited by seagiant; 03-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    I use NOE's RCBS 200grn copy but in a RG2. He's doing a rerun and I reckon I'll buy a RG4 this time. This boolit just simply shoots. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. 38grns of Varget was best but work up to it!!
    I also expand the necks and only necksize.
    Juddy

Banned

I used a .357 die to expand necks on the .35 and it worked fine, but I got one of the Lee Universal Expander dies and wonder how I ever got along without it now. I generally haven't liked Lee rifle dies much but that Un iversal Expander is great and cheap at the price.

Boolit Grand Master

With the .336 you have the option of slugging your barrel from either end. I would do one from the muzzle straight through feeling for high/low spots. I might then do a pound slug with a lead filled cartridge case chambered to see what your throat is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I use the .357 "M" die from my .38 Spec. pistol set to expand for my .35 R.

Boolit Grand Master
    + 1 on the Lee universal expander, it works great for all calibers.

Another +1 on the RCBS 35-200-FN, it shoots great in my 336.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I'm finally gonna start reloading for my .35 Rem Marlin 336! I have dies and a few J-words but I'd like to cast for this rifle. Is there any other "special" dies I need for the .35 to handload cast boolits?
    What brand brass is suggested, Remington or Winchester?
    what I use for my 35 cal rifle is a 357 mag expander but other than that
    just win brass
    I have a few molds from Tom@Accuratemolds of all people for it as well
    he has a growing selection
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I am a tool&die maker and machinist as well. I already load for 357 mag so I guess Ill try that expander first. I have some cast boots someone gave
    me but they measure .358. Can I use these to slug my barrel? How do you slug a rifle barrel? Do you start at the muzzle?
    What's the deal about being careful not setting back the case shoulder? What happens if you do? And how do I know if I accidentally do that?
    Slugs for measureing your bore should be soft lead. If the 358 boolits you have are not soft lead you probably can't easily drive them thru your bore.

Setting the shoulder back is one thing that happens when you full length resize. This assures that the cartridge will chamber in standard chambers. Once the cartridge case has been fired in YOUR gun you can reload the case by only neck sizing. To accomplish this just back your sizing die up 1/2 turn. You can use a magic marker to color the case neck before sizing and this will show how much of the neck is being sized. Eventually you will have to full length resize again to provide easy chambering. Since lever actions do not have a camming action on the bolt experts? recommend full sizing every time. I usually neck size only for 5 or 6 loadings before I full length resize again.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Adding a Lyman M die to the usual set is a good idea. Another helpful one is the Lee Factory Crimp Die specific to this cartridge. Other than that, nothing unusual about loading .35 Rem. The RCBS mould should be perfect, or the Lyman 358315. I load it for a Remington 141.

Boolit Master
    My dies are the LEE 3 die set that has the factory crimp die....sounds like I need brass and an "M" die and I'm good to go.

Boolit Master
    Anyone willing to sell 200-300 gas checks for this 35 to get me started? PM me please. Does anyone have any soft lead bullets for slugging the barrel?

Boolit Grand Master
    If you or anyone close to you is into Cap & Ball revolvers, a .375 RB works very well for slugging a .35 cal barrel.

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast