MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best melting pot available

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    I'm not sure, but isn't someone supposed to jump in here and swear that the Lee ten pounder is the best there is?
    Probably. I had a 20 drip-o-matic that I ended up giving to some fellow from this forum. I hope it helped him out but fear it made him mad as I have never heard from him again.
    Dan

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
    At almost 70 and after 50 years of reloading I'm looking into beginning to cast.
    Probably start with just one bullet/boolit for a .357 which I use a lot of.
    So, how are the Lee pots? A worthwhile buy or is it worth it to save and spring for a higher dollar one?
    Newbie here but my little Lee was a bargan and it make lead hot and pours from the bottom as advertised without leaking. It may not be the last pot I ever own but it seems to be serving me well as the first one.

Boolit Master

Any Lee Pot!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

I have been casting for 35+ years and all I ever owned is a lee pot i'm not a lee fan and you will see very few lee things on my bench, I started out with a 10lb it never quit and dripped a little big deal, I bought out another caster and he had a like new 10lb pot so I had 2 going at one time I decided to sell both on ebay last year and get a 20lb it has worked great for almost a year now no drip.

I thought about buying a RCBS but $350 vs $60 I don't think so as I can buy a bunch of lee 20lb pots and at my age this lee should last me forever which won't be another another 35years.

Boolit Bub
    Seems to me that anything that melts lead can be called the best. It is up to the operator to cast boolits, the pot won't do it for ya.

Tim

Boolit Master

Too funny! I started casting with my dad's lyman pot in the 70s and now have two Lee 10 pounders. The last time i did a big smelt I used a propane stove, a stainless gravy ladle, and a metal coffee can. That made quick work of 200 lbs of lead and wheel weights. That coffee can held 80 lbs. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Too funny! I started casting with my dad's lyman pot in the 70s and now have two Lee 10 pounders. The last time i did a big smelt I used a propane stove, a stainless gravy ladle, and a metal coffee can. That made quick work of 200 lbs of lead and wheel weights. That coffee can held 80 lbs. Frank
    When I first started casting I used a metal can on the stove and a ladle. The can eventually started leaking around the seams. So when I bought my little Lee 10lb bottom pour I was right at home with the drip.

BTW, I have been using that little pot for 30+ years and payed about $30.00 when I bought it. Granted I don't cast more then about 20 lbs at a sitting and probably haven't cast more then 500lbs over the life of the pot, but I am happy.

YES IT LEAKS!

It's a shame someone can't make a leaking pot smilie for us Lee users.

Boolit Master

Well, I have had an RCBS for 20 years now, and I'm keeping it... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers, But I do like my Pro Melt, it's a keeper.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by catmasher View Post
    what is the BEST available melting pot right now, my RCBS went t###s up and I need a new one that will last until I die...
    catmasher
    Have you talked with RCBS about repairing the pot? Might be an option. They repaired one for me No Charge.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    after 25 years and many thousands of pounds of lead my RCBS gave up. It cost me $90 for a full rebuild. When I got it back, the only thing that was original was the housing and the stand.

I'll stick with RCBS

Carl

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    I'm not sure, but isn't someone supposed to jump in here and swear that the Lee ten pounder is the best there is?
    20 pounder, if you please. I got a lot of VAQUEROS and MARLINS to feed.

For someone who ladle casts ONLY, the LEE MAGNUM MELTER is my idea of the best for the money. IF it shoots craps, I'll buy another one AND either give it to someone OR see how far I can throw it. I have had a SAECO and a LYMAN 20 pounder and now the LEE...for under $60, guess which one is a BEST BUY. Some of the LEE products leave a little to be desired, but the MAGNUM MELTER is high on my BUY list.

I've got a LEE pro (it has the little shelf for the mould that's the only difference I've noted) it leaks but works very good. I'd like to have an RCBS but don't want to spend that much $$$ at this time. Whenever that LEE breaks down I might have to bite the boolit but I'd more like ly buy another LEE.

I have both 10# & 20# Lee. They NEVER drip. I figured out NEVER emptying the pot or smelting in them was the best way to keep things from dripping. Eliminate those two things, I doubt your will drip much either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12