RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pure lead price paid at the recycler

pure lead price paid at the recycler

I stopped at the coffee shop today, and there was a truck there with some scrap metal, rads and heavy copper wire.

I figured metal buyer so asked him if he deals in scrap.

Sho Nuf, he does, so I ask him if he ever gets lead.... Yup..

How much does the recycler pay for it? $0.17 per pound.

I couldn't believe it.

he is setting up to bring in about 10 tons of the stuff soon.

I told him I'd be interested in 1/2 ton....

I wonder what would be a fair price to offer him for it all???

I don't know how the mail works up there in Cananda but if you were in the states you could make alot of money getting it for that price. If you paid him what the scrap yard is paying you could get it all for $3400. If you figured your yield at 75% you would have 15000 pounds of lead. One could turn that around and make a nice penny. Wish I found a deal like that.

You should buy as much of it as you can at that price.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

Why Not Try .20/.25 a pound $4000/$5000. If it's a Ships ballast you have a shipping & cutting problem. You don't give enough info about it.

Boolit Bub
    For comparison purposes, here in Milwaukee I talked to one local scrap dealer (the one my company uses) and they told me they pay $0.30/Lb for wheel weights.
    "A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

Boolit Grand Master
    $0.09 here for WW's

In Remembrance

Myself, down here in the states, I would offer a few cents a lb. more than what the dealer would pay per lb. But, I would attempt to find out how large the chunks are to handle and possibly where it originated from.Robert

Boolit Bub
    If you are going to go cheap with the guy, buy all he has so if he finds a better deal, he won't drop you like a bad habit.

Offer .17 a lb and do the hauling yourself...less work on his part. Buy wheel weights and whatever stuff looks like it is easy to smelt. Buy it all...that's how much you will wish you had have bought, 5 years from now...

You can take that last statement to the bank!!

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. "
    --Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I would buy as much as I could and offer him a couple of more cents. I think the biggest key is to make sure the scrap pieces are a size you can manage.

Worse case you sell what you don't use for a profit
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Boolit Master

I buy mine from a tire shop for .15 cents per pound. It's a small shop and I only get about 30# a week, but it does add up.

Boolit Buddy
    You're wanting 1/2 ton at .20 per lb, that's 100. I'd jump on it. Buy more and sale it.

Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    You're wanting 1/2 ton at .20 per lb, that's 100. I'd jump on it. Buy more and sale it.
    At that price I would probably buy 2000# easy. Now to just get it down here.

Boolit Master

Scrap dealers in my area usually sell at 4 times the price they pay for it.

Larry

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped by a recycling place today to see if they had any wheel weights or other scrap lead. They didn't have anything but I still asked what their buy price was. Guy said 30 cents a pound! If they marked it up 4 times the amount they pay I'd be paying more than spot price for wheel weights... Sheesh...

_coder

Boolit Buddy
    Enjoy the opportunity to buy from the yards. Most yards in my area will not sell to you due to people taking the buckets home and checking the weight against a certified balance scale. They then call the yard and argue with them because they were shorted.

Boolit Master

Got to figure on scrap yard prices that when they sell lead, there's shipping involved somewhere and that gets expensive. If you buy it, you're paying the shipping (gas) and that's worth something./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

People are obsessed with stockpiling right now...and everyone is making a killing off of that frenzy.. Its like a doomsday effect. Makes me sick. Asking people for lead is like asking them for a night with their wife. I just got 1200# of lead for free an hour ago...so I'll be good for a long time. I am going to stockpile what I see come by from now on though. It will be hard to find it in the future with all of the lunaticks looking for it right now.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    People are obsessed with stockpiling right now...and everyone is making a killing off of that frenzy.. Its like a doomsday effect. Makes me sick. Asking people for lead is like asking them for a night with their wife. I just got 1200# of lead for free an hour ago...so I'll be good for a long time. I am going to stockpile what I see come by from now on though. It will be hard to find it in the future with all of the lunaticks looking for it right now.
    You've got that backwards.
    Everyone will grow tired of stockpiling in the future. ...Or run out of room. ...Or run out of money.
    What is difficult to locate now, will be all over the place when the hoarders grow tired.

It's the same thing you see with "Assault Weapon" hoarding, ammunition hoarding, or people jumping in to start reloading. ...not long after the craze reaches its peak, you suddenly have a market that is FLOODED with cheap goods that those idiots have to take a loss on, while they try to unload them.

Boolit Master

People who stockpiled Primers, Powder, Free Lead, etc., YEARS and YEARS ago are doing just fine.

Boolit Master

Point well taken./beagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    People who stockpiled Primers, Powder, Free Lead, etc., YEARS and YEARS ago are doing just fine.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast