Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Diff Manufactures molds and Lee Alox

Boolit Bub

Diff Manufactures molds and Lee Alox

Hello Professors.
    Can I use any assortment of bullet molds and still use the Lee lubing method on them?
    like this Lyman bullet for example.
    #311440? Can I lube it the Lee way and be OK.
    Thanks.

Boolit Man
    You can smear that stuff over anything and it will work just fine.

Banned

Lee has been marketing Liquid Alox for boolit lube LONG before anything resembling "tumble lube" microband boolit moulds were even thought of. Yes, it works. 45/45/10 works better, as to conventional groove designs IME.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Atakawow View Post
    You can smear that stuff over anything and it will work just fine.
    My wife might object to that.

TCA
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Quote Originally Posted by TinCan Assassin View Post
    My wife might object to that.

TCA
    But then she might just like it. Than you are stuck.....
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

I have used it on conventional bullets of .30, .338, .357, .375, .40, .44, and .45 .

It works perfectly on allof them.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    My experience parralels that of Waco William. The stuff works on conventional boolits just fine. It works on Louverin boolits especially well, but I have run 311-291's at 2300 fps from my 30-40 lubed with pure LLA. I use recluse 45/45/10 now, as it dries faster and works just as well with the handgun boolits that make up most of my shooting these days. When pushing boolits fast, the faint "glaze" that is just fine for pistol stuff won't cut the mustard. Double dip them.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=rintinglen;1575102]
    My experience parralels that of Waco William. The stuff works on conventional boolits just fine. It works on Louverin boolits especially well, but I have run 311-291's at 2300 fps from my 30-40 lubed with pure LLA. I use recluse 45/45/10 now, as it dries faster and works just as well with the handgun boolits that make up most of my shooting these days. When pushing boolits fast, the faint "glaze" that is just fine for pistol stuff won't cut the mustard. Double dip them.[/QUOTE]

My testing is not complete but I find that at 1950 fps with the Lee C309-170-F tumbled twice in straight LLA, I get no leading BUT accuracy goes out the window somewhere around 1500-1600 fps.
    ( Out the window means 18 to 24 inch groups at 50 yards. )

I used to get good accuracy (3" at 100 yd) with the 311041 at 2200fps but that was a different bullet, different powder, different rifle, different decade.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance
    My best accuracy comes when I tumble-lube my (standard groove) 148WC boolits, then load them with 2.7 grains of Bullseye. I've experimented with several stick lubes and even a few bouts of pain-lubing (aka pan lubing), and the best and most consistent accuracy comes with tumble-lubing in a 45/45/10 lube.

I also tumble lube my little 102 grain .356 round nose boolits for .380.

My number two favorite boolit is the Lee 200SWC in .452, and I get one ragged hole at 75' tumble-lubing those boolits, then loading with 4.3 grains of Bullseye.

Couple of years ago, I was making up a batch of 45/45/10 and added some of Randyrat's beeswax to it along with a little stearate by way of finely ground Ivory soap. Poured the molten lube into my stick molds and tried it out.

Incredible. Simple incredible lube. Needs heat, but you could add a little vasoline to the mix to negate the need for heat.

But tumble-lubing traditional/standard lube-groove boolits? Absolutely can be done and a lot of folks do it for certain boolits and some folks do it with all boolits.

My philosophy has always been to find out what works best for each situation, then stick with it. Rarely is there ever a "one size fits all" technique or solution.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am currently using 45/45/10 on Lee 158 swc with traditional grooves. Works quite well.
    I have tried it with other designs but may well give it a chance with my Miha 200 swc for 45 ACP.

The stuff just plain works.