MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington Double Rifle

Boolit Master

Remington Double Rifle

Anybody know anything about a new model Remington Double Rifle? I have a chance to buy one in 45/70 for $350. Is this something to jump on or leave be?

In Remembrance
    I don't have a clue what it is worth, but if it is decent at all, I personally would jump on it if it left any bean money.

Banned
    If they can scramble together a double rifle and "regulate" it for the prise of a cheap bolt action then it have to be a ***!

Pedersol have been turning out 45-70 doubles for many years and they claim $5k+ for a good product.

For 1/10 the price can you exspect any kind of quality?

Boolit Master

They retail near $800

so $350 sounds great. I'd buy one at that price, even though folks say they are sort of a tribute to a double rifle, and not so much a real double. Folks that have them report they're OK, considering the corners cut to offer them at that price.

Go for it. If you don't like it, someone here (like me) would buy it from you at that price.

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy it!! They are going for at least double that, new. If not, let me know where it is!!

In Remembrance

I understand these were made in the former soviet republic (Russia) or one of the satellite countries. I understand there were issues on where the barrels were, if at all, regulated. An optomistic aim point of 50 yards was given by test results.Robert

Yeah, it's probably made by Baikal. Remington imports them and sells them under the Remington name. There's a Baikal MP221 on gunbroker right now in. 30-06. I've got an O/U shotgun and the thing is built like a Russian tank.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to buy it and give it a whirl. I don't expect it to be anywhere near old time English double rifle standards, or even old Remington standards for that matter, but I think it will be fun to play with. We shall see!

Boolit Master
    On those rifles the left barrel is fixed at the front and the right floats in the muzzle band. There is an adjustment screw between the barrels in front of the forend that attempts to regulate the impact of the right barrel. Generally speaking, the shooters that have the best results with these guns have used shim stock around the muzzle of the right barrel to regulate them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I have a Baikal double 45-70 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't remember for sure, without going and looking, but the upper pressure limit is written on the barrel. Think is is 28000psi. There is a wheel between the barrels, on the bottom of the rifle, to regulate the barrels. I have mine hitting to the same point of aim at 50 yards with a 405 grain trapdoor load. While it is very light, it does not kick to the point of making me want to limit the number of rounds I shoot. It also handles my 500 grain trapdoor loads with ease.... If you enjoy shooting a 45-70, get one.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Grand Master

They are russian and they are not regulated. They have one rear sight for each barrel and the only guy I know who got one wished he didn't, they are not works of art.

They are russian
    True. They are made by Baikal and were sold by Remington as their Spartan brand. They are currently sold by http://www.eaacorp.com/
    http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011Catalog_p18.pdf

They have one rear sight for each barrel
    Not even close; they have one rear sight and the barrels are regulated by turning a jack screw between the barrels.

Boy their website sucks!

Boolit Master

Thanks again for the information! I think I've got it bought and should have it by the weekend. A good friend of mine shoots a trapdoor Springfield (original) I made a bunch of parts for when he rebuilt it so I guess it's time for a visit to pick his brain!

Remember:

1. The mfg says they're good for 28000 cup loads.

2. Place an empty primed case in the second barrel, a live round in the first barrel and fire it to see if it "doubles". Even at 12 lbs, the recoil would be pretty healthy.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and like it. Remember what you paid for it and keep your expectations in line. They're not that bad looking and solidly built. Mine regulated not too bad but so far 4-5" groups are about all I've been able to accomplish with it. I'm still pretty happy with it though, since I bought it for bear over bait and it's ideal for that. In general I'd sum them up as solid and reliable. Ron.D

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on wha tRon said. I have one of their O/U shsotguns in 410 and, tho nothign fancy. it is built like a tank. Works well for me and if I fall with it...so what? It not a hi-dollar gun.

I didn't knwo they made a double rifle. Even at the currrent list of $1020 still a buy and I will probably HAVE to look for one! LOL

T-o-m

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.D View Post
    I have one and like it. Remember what you paid for it and keep your expectations in line. They're not that bad looking and solidly built. Mine regulated not too bad but so far 4-5" groups are about all I've been able to accomplish with it. I'm still pretty happy with it though, since I bought it for bear over bait and it's ideal for that. In general I'd sum them up as solid and reliable. Ron.D

Boolit Master

I'm shooting a Baikal IZH-94, over under, 12ga over 223. All sights fully adjustable, barrels are adjustable and has a scope rail. Its my crow gun, here in NY. Very good accuracy with j-word bullets and wolf steel cases (reloaded). Yes, its heavy, and built like a tank. And accurate! A Baikal double rifle? I'd jump on it. And if you want problems.... Go to Baikal's russian website! Oh boy!

Boolit Buddy
    Baikal is a trade name look at the proof marks then search them. My .222 MH 18 break action was made at Izhevsk if I remember correctly. Arrow inside a shield was the mark.

Boolit Master
    As usual, there are a few here who have no idea what they are talking about and are spewing nothing but lies.

The rifles are "OK" and worth the money. You regulate the rifle yourself by adjusting the jack screw. Easily done and these rifles can be pretty accurate. My 30-06 shoots 2 shots from both barrels into a 1.25 circle at 50 yards.

A few negatives. The barrels are extremely thin, almost to the point I would consider them unsafe. On the 45-70 I owned the barrels measured .045 wall thickness at the muzzle. These thin barrels made the barrels very hot after firing two quick shots from each barrel. The actions are also difficult to open the entire way and take some getting use to. The comb on some of the stocks is very high making it difficult to use the stock iron sights. Triggers are terrible but easily fixed. For $100 my gunsmith took out all the creep and brought the pull weight down to about 3 pounds, almost to light.

I own 5 double rifles and some are pretty pricey in calibers up to 450 NE. You do get what you pay for but these rifles are worth what they sell for. My 30-06 is loaded with Hornady 220's and I hope to use it deer hunting this year. Great little rifles to experiment with.

Sold the 45-70 because the recoil was pretty severe due to the bad fitting stock and I never felt comfortable with super thin wall thickness.