MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home-made Lube experts - Questions

Boolit Master

Home-made Lube experts - Questions

I've been doing a fair amount of perusing these pages lately for some reason. (I don't know why - White Label and RandyRat can happily and inexpensively supply us with all the boolit lube we'd ever need....)

Some questions have arrisen:

1) What to do to replace Alox 2138F? (Well, I found the answer. Molly posted the "recipe" [formula?] for making 2138F in the Lube recipe sticky by 45nut above.)

2) With all of the changes that have happened with the formula/ingrediants with Crisco, what are you folks shooting Crisco-containing formulas doing/finding? Does it still work OK, or have you had to change up things?

3) I ran across a referrence to "Phillip Sharpe's EPCO bullet lube" and I've tried searching but have not found anything here or via google... Any ideas?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

I do not have a lube/sizer. As such, started out with Lee Alox. Worked, but hated it.

Then I saw a recipe for 45/45/10. 45% Alox/45% Johson Paste Wax/10% Mineral Spirits. Right now I tumble lube all bullets first in the 45/45/10, then size and re-tumble. Working great.

Next recipe I will replace the Alox with White Lube's XLOX in the 45/45/10. I also got some of their cake lube to try pan lubing with.

Everything I am shooting is <=1100 fps and bullets are sized .001" over bore.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I make my own lube but I'm a 100% black powder shooter and those who use Crisco in lube mixes are using it for the same style shooting. I have never used the Crisco mix as I prefer the lubes with natural products and not those that contain salt.
    White Label lubes made a good BP lube about four or so years ago but stopped production and that is when I started making my own.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

To answer the Why make it when you can buy it question is the same for me as why reload why cast we can buy it all. But I do it because I am a do it yourselfer. Period. I know that I probably would be much better served to just buy what I need and want. But its just not as satisfying. So I roll my own. and I might add rolling my own is as much a part of the adventure as the shooting or hunting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    To answer the Why make it when you can buy it question is the same for me as why reload why cast we can buy it all. But I do it because I am a do it yourselfer. Period. I know that I probably would be much better served to just buy what I need and want. But its just not as satisfying. So I roll my own. and I might add rolling my own is as much a part of the adventure as the shooting or hunting
    You forgot to say "Can I get an Amen?"....to which I would promptly reply "AMEN, Brother!!"
    "A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

Banned

I'll give you an "Amen" anyway!

I'll also say that in many instances, I'm better served with my own lubes because I can modify the formula for best performance in different guns and different shooting conditions. For example, using a softer lube in cold weather that's just little bit slicker gives me better groups.

Gear

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I haven't been at this long enough to try a bunch of different lubes. I used some LLA in the begining but to soon I over ran its abilities. I use Darrs formula for everything w/ just a little tweak to suit my needs,more STP less vasoline.

For BP I haven't changed anything but that pint of Crisco and bees wax made last spring might last another 20 years. I'm betting I don't shoot a 1/10 of what some of you all do.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have found that when I start doing something myself I am in for a learning adventure. This has certainly been true of reloading and casting. I know much more about what I shoot than I could have ever imagined and it helps me get better performance out of my guns even though I shoot mainly paper. It also lets me help others when they have questions or problems.

I have to give a big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum for the help they have given me and will continue to give me an others on our journeys through the land of the silver stream.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Red rooster used to make a pretty good BP lube I wonder if they still do? used to smell good to.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master

Perhaps I read the OP wrong, but I thought he asked about a replacement for Alox 2138F. Some recipes call for this specific Alox, and not the alox/xlox available today. Am I wrong?...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Perhaps I read the OP wrong, but I thought he asked about a replacement for Alox 2138F. Some recipes call for this specific Alox, and not the alox/xlox available today. Am I wrong?...
    He stated that he found a replacement recipe to duplicate 2138.

Crisco lubes that I use have not changed over the years.

Not familiar with EPCO lube. But after cooking up some Felix I do not feel the need to experiment anymore. I understand how the components in Felix work and can tweak it to work with everything I shoot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I make my own, most synthetics, almost no ash and low smoke. Easy to clean the bore.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    mdi - you got it right, mostly, but I did find a replacement recipe.

Guys - you're missing my questions. I said that we CAN buy really good lubes from some of our VendorSponsors here. (Basically, I was giving them a plug... ) But, if you read between the lines, what I'm doing is research, because I want to try making my own too. (Hence, the attitude in the first sentence of my first post of: "I don't really need to do this because of White Label and RandyRat, but I'm curious and interested in doing it myself anyway...")

As far as my original questions, I guess I'm down to one. Yes, Molly posted in another thread how to duplicate Alox 2138F, and Cajun told me what I need to know about Crisco. (I didn't realize Crisco had salt in it, so between that and the seemingly constant changes to it's formula, I'm kicking that particular possible ingredient to the curb...)

So, my only original, unanswered question is: "What is EPCO lube?"

In my continuing research, I've found that "EP" might relate to "Extreme Pressure (typically Lithium) Grease," which is often called, surprisingly, "EP Grease."

My guess is that whoever put out EPCO lube used EP grease as one of the primary ingredients. I was just hoping someone longer in the tooth than me would know.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Buddy
    For BPC boolits and low velocity smokeless loads, I use homemade Emerts Lube, containing salt free crisco. It's easy to make, very inexpensive and seems to work about as well as SPG, for a whole lot less money.

Boolit Master

What I use instead of Crisco and have found it to be really good. go to your local market and buy 5 pounds of the cheapest ground beef you can get. Boil it thoroughly then let it cool and put it in the refrigerator .... then just lift the tallow (congealed grease off the top of the water.) finish making a pot of soup you got great boolit lube ingredient to use instead of Crisco. and unless you salted it it will be relatively low in sodium content.

Boolit Buddy
    Could you mean IPCO colloidal graphite wads?Made by Industrial Products Co.
    Wakefield,Massachusetts.

Horace

Banned

ep in greases actually refers to solids that are added.
    almost every grease made today is stearate based. [it's a parrafinic soap]
    and is a blend of different types of [refined] crude oils.
    parrafin is found in oil and natural gas wells, but is more prevalent in certain areas of the country.
    [the quaker-state has more than penns-ylvania]
    alox is an oxidized form of petroleum jelly [a form of plasticized [with mineral oil] parrafin]

Boolit Master

In my black powder cartridge target rifles in both 45-70 and 45-90 I shoot Emmert's Modified, 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% lanolin and 5% jojoba oil. It shoots great. I wipe every shot and have not noticed any issues at all.

Check the Crisco nutritional information, 0% sodium.

http://www.crisco.com/Products/Produ...=17&prodID=315

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    Could you mean IPCO colloidal graphite wads?Made by Industrial Products Co.
    Wakefield,Massachusetts.

Horace
    Horace,
    Good thinking, but I don't believe so. He typed EPCO over and over again, but I guess he could have gotten it consistently wrong? Also he kept typing that he lubed the bullets with it, and if I remember right, the wads would be added as part of the loading process, rather than the bullet making process, right?

Run5run,
    And those solids help the grease stand up to high pressure, right? If that's the case, it doesn't sound like they add anything to the boolit lube making process or characteristics, does it?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It was my understanding that the recipe of Crisco had salt but that was many years ago. If it has been removed then that is fine but it does not do as well as the kidney tallow that I now use to replace it.
    The tallow is so pure and white and has the smell that darn near ask you to take a taste. I'm still of the belief that natural products far outweigh the use of any man made products.
    I use Jojoba oil also for that very reason.
    They had guys who thought that if Crisco worked then any cooking lard would be as good and I think that is were the salt came in also. It's been so long ago that I can't remember who did the research and printed the first warning.
    Will stick with the tallow and if the poster who said he would never use a pint of black powder lube he has; you need to go outside more ofton. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast