MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Fishing sinkers

Moderator Emeritus

Fishing sinkers

Hi,

I purchased a pyramid sinker mold and need help with a few things!

1) The handles are metal. How do you hold it closed while pouring the sinkers? After pre-heating the mold, the handles get hot! I could use vice grips, but was thinking that there may be a better way.

2) Do you normally cast quite a few cycles with sinker molds, or is it more of a cast once and wait a while then come back and cast again. The sinkers (up to 5 oz in my case) will certainly take a minute or so to cool enough to open the mold, but it shouldn't take much more.

3) How do you hold the brass eyelets in the mold so that you can cast around them? The eyelets I purchased are #2 but they don't fit tightly around the pin in the mold. I could do one at a time, but would like to cast each cavity at the same time.

Thanks,
    John

Boolit Buddy

I have a 5 cavity pyramid mold too. I just cast from one side. Usually the 1, 2, 3 oz side. My "eyes" are snug around the pin, so don't have to hold them in. I just hold the handles with my normal "casting/work" gloves. I cast just as fast as they cool. Usually about 45 seconds. I do it once a year before my FL fishing vacation.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Buddy
    What make is the mold? if a Do-it Mold, you can probably buy wooden handles, if an older, all metal mold, any kind of metal clamp or vice grips work fine.....the eye, is it contained completely inside the mold? if yes, there should be a recess to hold it in place while casting. You will want to cast at a pace that keeps the cavities filled out completely but doesn't take five minutes to cool, you will find your groove, especially with eye placement as a step to slow you down.....gloves, very important with these molds....good luck

Moderator Emeritus
    The mold is a Palmer 351. The brass eyes I bought are #2.

There is a spot for the eye to be captured prior to filling the mold but the eyes I bought are apparently too large. They don't fit tightly around the "nub" that captures them.

What would the proper size eyes be? It looks like there are #1, 2, and 3. I would guess #1 since they appear to be smaller than #2.

Thanks,
    John

Banned

Are you sure it takes the eyes? My mold does not. The eyes are lead in my pyramid mold. The handles are metal on mine also. Even with gloves on, it is too hot to use for a bunch of cast.

Banned
    I personally would throw the palmer mould into the river and borrow 357Maximum's do-it mould. I am sure he is willing to loan it to you and the Palmer moulds are nothing but junk.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks everone. I originally thought the mold had lead eye's but then thought it might use the brass one's so I bought some. Now I have no idea...

357Max, that sounds like an offer I can't refuse! PM on it's way.

John

Looks like 357 just solved your problem.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.