MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J C Higgins model 50 mauser

Boolit Buddy

J C Higgins model 50 mauser

Anyone own or shoot one of these guns? they were FN made actions with chrome lined High Standard barrels made for Sears Roebuck.Made in .270 + 30-06.Have one coming in 30-06 this week....looking for sights fore and aft .......Harold

Boolit Master

Try here

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=9563

Yes, some sold out but you can add you name to the list AND they also show the receiver sight number

Mike

Lucky guy!

The FN Mauser was maybe the best Mauser version. Savor it.
    Flintlock, Round Ball & Black Powder - Life is Sweet

Caution Notice on powder container - "Be certain no embers are smoldering in the barrel before reloading" - SO I ALWAYS BLOW DOWN THE BARREL AFTER FIRING! Its easier than wet swabbing.

NMLRA - 'Not Muzzle Loaders Really Anymore'!

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Anyone own or shoot one of these guns?

Here's one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfutJHzEx4
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Yes I had one of these from Sears in 30-06. Very accurate shooter. I wish I still had it but sold it many years ago to help finance my college education. It was the first 30-06 I owned, scoped it with a good 4x. I couldn't miss with that rifle.....sure brings back memories

Boolit Mold
    Great rifle- brings back memories. My dad still has his in 30-06, I got to handle it the other day. I always wanted one in .270 to complete the set. It is the only rifle I have known that wasn't too picky, but when you find a load it likes- wow!

Enjoy that fine rifle- I know two people who have enjoyed packing one around these mountains...

Boolit Buddy
    The knucklehead i got it from milled off 1//2 the front sight ramp and tossed the rear sight along with removing a small layer of stock for a rear aperture which he kept.Totally restoreable and bore looks mint.Will likely put a blank in the rear sight slot and remove what's left of the front ramp.Would like to replace trigger with a Timney and get a hinged floorplate for the bottom metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I picked up a matching one in .270 today.I love mausers.Will be Christmas gifts for two of my oldest boys later this year.........Harold
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-24-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: error

I have a Husqvarna rifle.30-06 made in 1951 that is essentially the same gun. Is your gun drilled and tapped on the right side of the rear receiver ring for a Lyman 48M sight? It should be.

I would suggest hitting the Lyman sight market on Ebay. I have bought several off there for $75 or less. It would not be cool to use either a Williams or new non steel Lyman sight on that gun.

You will probably have to modify the stock to allow the sight to be installed. I removed mine last year and installed a Weaver KV 2-5x variable. My gun had a high comb/cheekpiece and it didn't facilitate using the Lyman sight very well. I didn't want to change the stock so I just mounted a scope. My scope is essentially junk so I am looking for a nice Leupold to replace it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    The 06 is drilled and tapped on the right side for an aperture but the .270 is not.I'll be scoping both anyways.Also the hole pattern for scoping is different.The 06 takes standard Burris one piece base and the .270 has the correct spacing on the receiver and the same space on the rear.Not uncommon from what I've read. Talley makes bases for the odd setup.Also have factory steel two piece dovetail mts that serve no purpose.Refinishing both stocks as they were poorly done.The trigger is another matter.A two piece affair that is very spongy.Probably Timneys for these..........
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-27-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more

Boolit Buddy
    Can anyone answer a question concerning the triggers on these M50's? Mine has a different trigger mechanism from the one shown on Pioneer2's rifle. I'm not sure what it is but it ain't standard M98 type. In fact it looks a lot like a M70 Win. Anybody shed any light on this? THX, Stan

Boolit Master

Stan
    Do you have a picture??

Boolit Master

Great rifles with one caveat. Whoever first wrote "slug the bore" was writing about FN Model 50's. The 30's like mine come out a perfect .3100". They had even wackier ideas about what a 270 should be.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    These are some of the nicest commercial Mauser actions made.

I have three actions. One is in .270 Win w the original 22" barrel. I've redone two other actions with Douglas barrels. One is in .376/.416 Steyr Improved (.416 Aagard) and the other is in 338-06.

I've used Timney triggers on all of them.

The .270 has original sights and the other two are scoped only ... with custom mounts made to look like double square bridges. Originally bought the .270 with the intention of building a boomer with it. Made the mistake of shooting it. Can't take an MOA rifle apart.

Great actions!

Boolit Buddy
    Skeetx-- Sorry for the panic! I just opened the old girl up and it's the same as the one in the previous post. " Just shows to go ya' " what happens when ol' phartz try to rely on memory. Stan.

Boolit Buddy
    Would make a dandy 9.3x62 I'm thinking?

I have a 270 take off barrel for the Model 50, in excellent condition, with the front sight. PM me if interested.

Frank

Boolit Master

I got one a few years ago at a pawn shop going out of business sale. With the Bubba'd stock and some back and forth negotiations. I got it dirt cheap. It was less than 200 out the door. I put the JC Higgins marked leather sling on Ebay and made out like a bandit, cashing in on a bidding war.

I had big plans for it. Intending to use the FN action, re-stock it, Timney trigger and re-barrel into a 35Whelen. After shooting it and being totally impressed or more correctly said surprised. I decided to leave it as is. With the additional space moving the irons out a few inches. The sights come into near perfect focus for my 61 year old eyes. It goes along on hunting trips strictly as a back-up in case somebody's rifle or scope goes south. Instead I used a Czech 98/22 to build my 35 Whelen.

Just in case you're looking if you want to restore it to it's 1960's appearance. There is somebody here in Phoenix that has a vintage 60's JC Higgins 4X scope he claims is Weaver manufactured for sale. Don't know if it is still for sale but if you're interested I'll look for the ad.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Would like to replace trigger with a Timney and get a hinged floorplate for the bottom metal.
    Mine and all I have seen had hinged floor plates. The JC Penny's Foremost version built on the FN also had hinged floor plates. I suspect the seller may have substituted it before he sold it to you. Mine also has an adjustable trigger. The trigger looks very typical of the era and not anywhere near the quality of a Timney. Mine is nice and crisp and I didn't fool with the adjustment.

EDIT: My apologies, I was mistaken. My Model 50 does not have a hinged floor plate. It does have a button making it easy to drop the plate. I mixed it up with my Santa Barbra Mauser actions. I'll post pictures in a few minutes and double check the trigger.
    Last edited by azrednek; 03-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Master

Sorry for my state of confusion. Guess I'm going to have to tell the wife to be a bit more gentle in my Saturday night beatings before I go completely brain dead.

This is what I mixed up the Model 50 with. A Santa Barbra Mauser action. It has hinged floor plate and adjustable trigger.

This is my Bubba'd Model 50. I fell asleep recently at the wheel as somebody had a Model 50 stock on Ebay and I let it get away. I can only speculate why the previous owner used what looks like Bondo to make the spacer. The additional space brings the irons into focus.

Not a hinged floor plate but unlike military Mausers, this one drops very easy with the extended button.

The trigger is not adjustable. It is an unusual two piece set-up. Mine is crisp and breaks guesstimate wise about 4lbs.

The 2-piece trigger opens up the can of worms. If you change the mag assy to a hinged floor plate you will have to replace the trigger assy as the lower part of the trigger is pinned to the mag assy.

This is why myself and many others prefer the FN action. The factory installed and fit firing pin block safety is my hands down favorite over the trigger block safety. On two occasions having another Mauser go bang lowering the bolt with a Timney Trigger, installed by McGowen Barrel I might add. Being that Timney is local. Mr Timney the founder's son fixed it for me. Despite never having a problem since I took the sick Mauser to Timney. I just can't bring myself to trust a trigger block safety. Friend of mine had the same problem with Bold brand trigger.

EDIT: If you're going to install a 30MM scope you may not have sufficient clearance for the bolt to cycle. Before you shell out big bux for a scope make sure you have enough clearance. You may need high rise mounts.
    Last edited by azrednek; 03-30-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add pictures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast