Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Buckshot recipe help please

Boolit Bub

Buckshot recipe help please

Good evening,

For a while I've been loading size #F buckshot cast from a "Skiesunlimited" mold to great effect in regular trap wads.
    Recently I got hold of a bag of Winchester WAA12R wads which will allow heavier payloads, and am trying to find published data but nothing so far using WSF.
    The Lyman #5 book was disappointing in that regard..

I have Win AA, Rem 27, Fed GM hulls.
    Winchester primers.
    Winchester WAA12R red wads.
    Winchester WSF powder.

I am looking for a 1.1/4 oz load running around 1250(ish) fps, end use is for Coyote control hence the smaller buckshot size.
    Maybe you have an older data manual with recipies for these wads? Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreiciated.

Cheers!

Boolit Bub
    Seventy two views and no replies..
    Looks like this WSF powder is no good in heavier 12ga shotshell reloading, I'll burn it all up in the 9mm instead and find some Herco.

Boolit Master
    I believe the Lyman 5th Ed. Shotshell Reloading book has data. Sorry I don't have one to look at.
    Hodgdon Universal is supposed to be good powder in 1-1/4 oz loads.
    Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center also has loads for the WAA12R but I didn't see any for the WSF. There were other heavy loads for the WSF though.

Boolit Mold
    Googled wsf loads. Found wwpowder.com/shotgun html. Might have your data. Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

The RCBS shotshell manual has a lot of WSF data in it. One that might work for you is:

RCBS lists a load in the Federal GM hulls using 1 1/4 oz shot, CCI 209, 27gr of WSF and a Federal 12S4 wad for 1275 at 9200 Psi.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys.. I have a nice fast/low pressure 1.1/8oz birdshot recipe using WSF right from the Lyman# 5 book.

However for the WAA12R wad and WSF I've been all over the internet and come up short on data. I play around with metallic reloading where there are pressure signs to watch for, but for shotgun and different components- well I'd prefer to use an actual recipe on the side of caution.
    I must be either getting old, or finally listened to my wife after all these years!

Boolit Buddy
    i would try to load that stuff with longshot powder and make it cook!. a regular 1 1/8 oz wad and as much F shot as it will hold over the 1585 fps longshot load. DEAD coyotes.
    A.F.A.M.

Please excuse my ignorance but what size is "F" buckshot exactly?

Seems I should know this but evidently I don't.

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmon_Greer View Post
    i would try to load that stuff with longshot powder and make it cook!. a regular 1 1/8 oz wad and as much F shot as it will hold over the 1585 fps longshot load. DEAD coyotes.
    I believe that Longshot would be far too slow/inefficient using Buckshot in a trap wad.

I do load up size #F .22" diameter pellets in a regular trap wad right now..
    Fed GM hull, CB clone 12S3 wad, Win primer and 24 grains of Unique.
    The size #F shot stacks nicely in four layers of seven pellets and weighs around one ounce. The 24 grains of Unique seems mild under the once ounce of shot and a modified Remchoke puts most of them into a 20" circle at 25 yards which is around the distance I take Coyotes at here in Ontario. Shot placement, aiming around the neck area puts them down hard, these are almost always stationary dogs. I make a quick "Yip" which makes them stop and look- you know how it ends.

These dogs are pretty big "Eastern" Coyotes and the shot size works effectively, but I'd really like to add another layer of shot to the load- hence my quest for a recipe using the WAA12R wad.

I'm trying to cook up a "duplex" buckshot load using #F and #1 buck.

One of the posts says that #F stacks in layers of 7 in a shot cup.

I realized that without a shot cup you can actually fit 8 to a layer with a tiny bit of room to spare. So I'm planning to go with that--inside a Teflon sleeve.

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=John in WI;1575881]I'm trying to cook up a "duplex" buckshot load using #F and #1 buck. QUOTE]

If you do a Duplex load, I would imagine it working best with the larger pellets out front which should retain speed further that the smaller ones = tighter pattern. Just a thought.

Meanwhile- did anyone here see an old published load using WSF under the WAA12R wad yet?