Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman H & I die used in C Press

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman H & I die used in C Press

I don't remember where I saw some inquiries about the possibility of using a conventional Lyman H & I sizing die in a standard C press that has the standard 7/8 X 14 threads.

I discussed this with a friend here on the forum about 3 years ago. He swore me to an oath of secrecy. He wanted complete anonymity. I agreed that I'd never use his name and have kept my pledge. I think he was concerned that his PM inbox might get flooded and he said he really did not have the time to commit to the project.

He told me if I would give him some time and not rush him that he would set me up with everything necessary to use Lyman or RCBS bullet sizing dies in a conventional C press. He kept his word in a timely fashion. Now, if I want to send a bullet " nose 1st " through a sizing die, I have that capability.

Here are photos .

I'd think that if you show these photos to any machinist worthy of his salt that he could easily duplicate it.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 02-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master

I made a setup very similar to this 2 years ago for my own use. Difference being I allowed clearence for the sizing die [couple of thousands] and I made my push rods to slide in the ram like a shell holder. I did this to allow self alignment.

I also made another unit that holds Redding neck sizing bushings which works the same way. Redding neck bushings are available in .001 increments from 185 thousands to 368 thousands.

The hardest part was making all of those push rods.

Larry

Thumbs up

Ben, Your anonymous friend's solution is ingenious! After years of sizing long CB's in the Ly. #450 or RCBS Lub-A-Matic, I wish I had that particular option. In fact, I'm going to to be sizing [more] #314299's soon for the upcoming CBA Season Military Bench Rest shoot. I know I can purchase and lap out a Lee sizer to .312" (to fit my Finn. Nagant M 39), but where's the fun in that?

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the " time / labor factor " isn't in the die holder, it is in all the push rods.

Ben

Boolit Master

Designing products that work and designing products that can be made economically on high speed turning equipment are sometimes two different things. I think Ben is right, the main time and cost factor is in the push rods. That's a really nice set up.