Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH4D 105 swage die or ?

CH4D 105 swage die or ?

I'm looking at getting into swageing and wondering if this die would be a good start. I have to call and see whats in stock at CH. I understand they are taking a break from making these to catch up on other things. Is another brand worth looking at ? I want to use a standard reloading press but not tie up hundreds of dollars in tools to get a taste of this hobby.

Thanks, FWest

Boolit Master

CH4D is the least expensive. If he has them in stock its the way to go to wet your whistle. There is a guy on Ebay that makes a set of dies like the 105 for $145. I believe that was the last price I have seen. I have not used those dies nor do I know of anyone who has I cannot vouch for their quality. Dr. Larry Blackmon makes dies From a company called Bullet Swaging Supply. And BT Sniper on here makes Reloading press dies. You didnt say what caliber you are wanting to make so its hard to steer you in a direction. .224 BT and Kane are going to be the least expensive for reloading press I believe. and D Corbin makes .224 reloading press dies but are close to 800 a set. Lots to chew on take your time and weigh all your options. there are pluses and minuses with each choice. Happy Loading Happy Shootn

In Remembrance

FWest,

Sorry that we didn't get to link up a couple of weeks ago.

I'm equally sorry that as I prepare for moving, my entire reloading room is currently packed in crates. I would have otherwise been delighted to show you my BT Sniper die set for making 44 mag bullets out of .40 S&W cases. I run that in my RCBS RockChucker press. They make amazing bullets, and the dies were very reasonable. The bullets are the exact equivalent of Hornady XTP hollow points, including the notched edges of the nose.

Seek out the BT Sniper sticky at the top of the swaging section, and take a look at what he does, and what the results look like.

BT Sniper has a bunch of different calibers in the works.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks for the information. 35 cal would be a good place to start.
    Could I use the same dies to make bullets for 357, 38 and 35 Rem ?
    It would be nice to be able to use some spent brass for jackets.
    I have been reading at the Ammosmith fourm and watching his videos, smart and resourceful guy. I have also read BT snipers posts about his tooling which I find very interesting.

Duke, no big deal about the meeting and thanks for your input.

In Remembrance

Techinally, the 38 specials and 357 magnum uses a .357 diameter bullet, while the 35 remington uses a .358 diameter bullet.

As long as either your 35 remington is able to use bullets .001" smaller, or your handguns in 38 special and 357 magnum are able to use bullets .001" larger, you could go either way. However, the die set makes one specific diameter, and it's not adjustable. However, the weight of a bullet, within a specific diameter, is adjustable, depending on what you use for a core and a jacket.

Typically, you use a brass case smaller in diameter than what you want to end up with, and swage the bullet diameter out to final size, and form the nose at the same time.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

So I got a return call from CH4D just a few minutes ago. I ordered a 105 die in 357 dia. It was mentioned you could use a gas check or half jacket with this die. I have a couple Checkmakers already so I'm going to give it a go and keep my eyes open for some 38 cal half jackets.

Boolit Master
    Good choice for starters if you ask me.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

I hope so although I have not found any details on the 105's use online. No videos or pics of bullets made with it. ?

Boolit Master

the 105 makes a semi wad cutter type of bullet only. and it will do so with a jacket or gas check as long as the jacket is slightly below the nose punch. they are great bullets. you will enjoy the die.

In Remembrance

I have a Herters die that makes the same size, with the same nose shape. $65 from eBay. There are deals for that style of die on eBay from time to time.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

The die showed up today. I've messed around with it a little, swaged a few gas with checks, first a soda can and the second some alum flashing. You can see the before and after. Both boolits were lubed prior to swaging them.
    I was amazed how little effort it really takes after getting the gas check past the edge of the die. Boolits with no check were very easy. I'm using a Lee classic cast.
    Boolits cast from wheel weights.

In Remembrance

The die makes those domed SWC's????

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    The die makes those domed SWC's????
    That's what I was wondering too. The punch looks like a core seating punch, not a nose punch.

That is how the die came. No instructions were included but it seems pretty strait forward. I expected to see a round nose bullet come out not a wad cutter with a small dome.

Boolit Master

get BT to make you a different nose punch... your die works the way my lead bullet dies work. different nose punch a different boolit. You can do Kieth , RNFN RN deeper RN and weight depends on how much you want to bleed off you can do a whole lot with that die. also you will want to get a knurling tool so you can knurl the slugs if you go straight Swage so you can tumble lube them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll contact BT and go from there.

Yep, that's a core seating punch from a 101 Swaging die set.

Hope this helps.

Fred

In Remembrance

Fred, I beg to differ.
    If you visit their 105 tool set page, they show you the punch profile for the SWC version. It is similar to what he received. They do NOT show you what the round nose version looks like.

The 105's form the point of the swaged bullet on the bottom punch.

I'm pretty sure he's got the correct bottom punch for the tool set he bought.

http://ch4d.com/catalog/?p=87

Perhaps FWEST should call CH and ask them to look at the image he posted.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Duke,

Now I'm going to have to go down in my shop and dig out that old 105 die and take a look. The picture looks just like my core seating punches for the 101 series dies, complete with bleedoff hole. Could it be that Dave is using the same punch for both dies?

Fred

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Duke,

Now I'm going to have to go down in my shop and dig out that old 105 die and take a look. The picture looks just like my core seating punches for the 101 series dies, complete with bleedoff hole. Could it be that Dave is using the same punch for both dies?

Fred
    the nose punch in the 105 is the bleed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast