WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee TL314-90-SWC and Mosin Nagant

Boolit Mold

Lee TL314-90-SWC and Mosin Nagant

Has anyone tried the Lee TL314-90-SWC in a 7.62 X 54R? If so, could you share your load? I thought I remember seeing a thread somewhere but try as I may can't seem to find it. Also how about using Trail Boss? And what would be the least amount of powder one could get away with? I have seen the Hodgson formula for minimum and maximum... but that is base on jacketed bullets.
    thanx
    CZVZ

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a bajillion Lee TL314-90-SWCs in the MN 7.62x54R, other .31s and all my .30s too. I TL lightly with straight LLA then size the bullets .314. That does it for the .31s. An addtional sizing to .311 w/o relubing makes them good to go for the .30s.

I use 3.2 gr Bullseye (no filler or wad needed) in Norma cases with WLR primers or any other standard LR primer handy. I seldom size the necks (unless I'm feeding them from the magazine) if the inside diamter is .312 - .314. I just deprime, reprime, charge with powder and thumb seat the bullet. They'll run 870 - 920 depending on length and condition of barrel. Cases that show that speckled incipient headspace line at the web are great candidates for this load as they'll then last forever.

I load 2.7 gr Bullseye under this bullet in cases of 7.62x39 to 300 Savage size. The 3.2 gr load of Bullseye is used in .308W up through '06 sized cases including the 7.62x54R.

The Hornady swaged lead .32 cal 90 gr SWC is also very good with this load.

Larry Gibson

WARNING; shooting these loads can be very, very addictive...............try to get a 6 cavity mould (not made anymore for some unknown reason) or at least two 2 cavity moulds so you can turn out enough in one casting session for at least one shooting session....I do mean these loads are very, very addictive......I can not be held responsible as I've my own addiction to feed.............
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Boolit Master

CZVZ, per Larry's sugestion I loaded some of the Lyman SWC 90 grn for my MN an 91 Mauser, the 91 has been cut back to a carbine and has a scope mount. 3 grns of BE makes a plenty good squirrel load.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Anybody tried Trailboss in such a plinker? Don't have Bullseye, but had good results with TB.

Boolit Mold
    How about the cartridge overall length/COL? And crimping vs. no-crimp?

Boolit Grand Master

I seat to the 1st lube groove and do not crimp nor even iron out the case bouth belling in those that are not fed from the magazine. A light crimp in the 1st or 2nd groove does the trick for feeding from the magazine.

Larry Gibson

I shoot a similar bullet but the standard lube groove 100gr in my 303 and 7.62x54R....try 6.2 gr of unique. No fillers...i get 1200+ fps....still a very light load. As for tb. Just follow the directiins in the website....i think it is 75% of case volume minimum or somethin like that. Never compress tb tho they say. i havnt tried tb in this load yet...the unique works too well to change.

Boolit Mold
    L. G. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to C.B. .... when you say you " seat to the first groove" is that first from the base or first from the tip?
    thanx

Larry how accurate are those loads in your mosin?
    Last edited by ButterNutZ; 02-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CZVZ View Post
    L. G. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to C.B. .... when you say you " seat to the first groove" is that first from the base or first from the tip?
    thanx
    1st from the tip or driving band. In other words most of the lube grooves are in the case neck.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ButterNutZ View Post
    Larry how accurate are those load in your mosin?
    In my M91/30 sniper with 3.5X scope they run 1 - 1.5" at 50 yards. Pretty close to the same out of my M39 Finn when I can see the sights sharply........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Shoots well w/trailboss.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

with Larry's load, the most expensive item is the primer

Boolit Man
    Fascinating load - what about Lee's 311-100-2R in these rifles?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pastorcurtis View Post
    Fascinating load - what about Lee's 311-100-2R in these rifles?
    Should do ok in .30s and in tight bored .31s, just try 2.7 or 3.2 gr Bullseye depending on the cartridge.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Just the question I was going to ask, tks OP.

You always hear the "don't use small amounts of fast powder in large cases" routine, or "tip the case back so the powder is next to the primer before firing". This load seems to throw all of that right out the window. I have ###'s of BE. So I'm gathering their is no real reason to use a higher density and more expensive powder like Trail Boss???

I'm planning to use Larry's load in a Mosin for an Appleseed class this year. I'm pleased you found the Hornady boolit works well as that is what I'm buying. If I could only find more 54r brass.

Boolit Master

If you're using them for an Appleseed, make sure they'll feed well enough to make the times required. 10 shots in 55 seconds (Stage 2) is tight enough with a semi-auto, let alone a boltgun. But, it can (and has) been done, numerous times.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    If you're using them for an Appleseed, make sure they'll feed well enough to make the times required. 10 shots in 55 seconds (Stage 2) is tight enough with a semi-auto, let alone a boltgun. But, it can (and has) been done, numerous times.
    Oh, Tks for the heads up. I didn't realize they were timed. I'm having a helluva time finding brass anyway. Still want to do it.

I haven't used the Lee mold, but do load an RCBS 32-95 SWC for my MN's sized to .314 over 8 grains of 2400. With my eyes it will hold around 1 1/2" supported at 50 yards. I also use this same combo in all flavors of my .30's with the same results, just sized to fit the barrel.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora View Post
    I haven't used the Lee mold, but do load an RCBS 32-95 SWC for my MN's sized to .314 over 8 grains of 2400. With my eyes it will hold around 1 1/2" supported at 50 yards. I also use this same combo in all flavors of my .30's with the same results, just sized to fit the barrel.

Nora
    I love 2400. Does that load burn clean, or clean enough, in the big cases like 54r? Tks for the data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast