Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee TL314-90-SWC and Mosin Nagant

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    I love 2400. Does that load burn clean, or clean enough, in the big cases like 54r? Tks for the data.
    I don't have any problem with it either being a dirty burn, nor it being position sensitive even with all the space. Then almost anything would seem cleaner than the 16.5 gr of Unique I normally use in the 54R's under a 180 gr boolit.
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Mold

mexican match with the swc's

Hi,

I would like to shoot my mosins down at the silhouette portion of our range but I have to have cast bullets for my rifle. What would be involved in doing a Mexican Match job with the TL314-90-SWCs in to some russian steel cased surplus 7.62x54r? I could save the surplus powder and bullets for reloading the fmjs when I finally get some reloadable brass. I have bunches of steel cased surplus and I have BE powder but no 7.62x54r dies or bullets. I found the Hornady swc's for $33 per 500. This would be cheap shooting if I can use the cast bullets in the steel surplus cases. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I shoot a bajillion Lee TL314-90-SWCs in the MN 7.62x54R, other .31s and all my .30s too. I TL lightly with straight LLA then size the bullets .314. That does it for the .31s. An addtional sizing to .311 w/o relubing makes them good to go for the .30s.

I use 3.2 gr Bullseye (no filler or wad needed) in Norma cases with WLR primers or any other standard LR primer handy. I seldom size the necks (unless I'm feeding them from the magazine) if the inside diamter is .312 - .314. I just deprime, reprime, charge with powder and thumb seat the bullet. They'll run 870 - 920 depending on length and condition of barrel. Cases that show that speckled incipient headspace line at the web are great candidates for this load as they'll then last forever.

I load 2.7 gr Bullseye under this bullet in cases of 7.62x39 to 300 Savage size. The 3.2 gr load of Bullseye is used in .308W up through '06 sized cases including the 7.62x54R.

The Hornady swaged lead .32 cal 90 gr SWC is also very good with this load.

Larry Gibson

WARNING; shooting these loads can be very, very addictive...............try to get a 6 cavity mould (not made anymore for some unknown reason) or at least two 2 cavity moulds so you can turn out enough in one casting session for at least one shooting session....I do mean these loads are very, very addictive......I can not be held responsible as I've my own addiction to feed.............

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't used any steel cases but I've used about 300 Bulgarian cases that were given to me (owner pulld the bullets and powder and loaded in boxer primed cases). I loaded the mentioned 3.2 gr of Bullseye under the TL314-90-SWCs and went shooting. They worked as well as with boxer primed cases. Unfortunately I threw them away before I discovered how to convert the primer pockets to boxer primers. I see no reason why the steel cases won't work as well. I would use a .31 M die at least before seating the bullet though.

Larry Gibson

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I use 2400 or trail boss in the 54r and both work great. I use larger boolits than you are discussing as the lighter ones didn't group well for me, but both powders work great.

Boolit Master
    I'm excited to try the little 90 grainer in my 91/30. Have shot many TL312-155-2R and 312-185 with 16 grains of 2400. Very accurate at 50 or 100 yds with the elevation set for 400M. What's the elevation set at for the 90 grain/3.2 BE (non-sniper model)?

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    Anybody tried Trailboss in such a plinker? Don't have Bullseye, but had good results with TB.
    This is a Winchester 1894, not a mosin but great fun bullet with 7.0grains Trail Boss and holes touching at 50metres with aperture sights:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=tl314-90-swc
    ars longa, vita brevis

I don't know about 7.62x54 but I shoot a lot of the Lee 311-93-RN in any 30 cal rifle with about 3 gr of bullseye or 5 r of Unique. Very accurate and quieter than a 22!
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Earlier in the post someone commented on dangers of fast powder in large cases. What does one need to be aware of to do th is safely? I assume the concern would be pressure spikes and this is ”controlled” by using light charges?

Boolit Grand Master

There is no "danger" with the loads discussed. There will be no "pressure spikes" with 3.2 gr of Bullseye under a 90 gr cast bullet in this cartridge. Even a double charge is well within the psi margins of the cartridge and poses no dangers.

Larry Gibson

Ever since Mr. Gibson turned me onto the Lee TL314-90-SWC and Bullseye powder I've been shooting cheap plinker loads in my Mosin and SKS rifles for about six months now. I also size the bullet down to .311" and shoot it in my 30-30 and 300 Sav. as well.

I just ran through this thread real quick and there is a lot of good info here. There are a lot of really nice loads for .30 and .31 caliber rifles that are in the butterfly sneeze to mouse sneeze range where the major cost is the primer.

My favorite for .308 Win, .30-06, 7.62x54R, 7.5 Swiss, 7.5 French, and all other similar cartridges is a 0.315" round ball that weighs about 45 grains in wheel weight alloy using somewhere around 3 or 4 grains of Bullseye, Unique, 700X, Red Dot, or Green Dot. I prefer Unique because it is a fairly "fluffy" powder compared to some others. I tried a few grains of Blue Dot once and the primer wouldn't ignite the tiny amount of powder.

I just tip the muzzle up before firing and don't bother with any case filler, I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. Principle.

I have tried using more than 4 grains of powder and found that accuracy just goes out the window, probably from the tiny barrel contact area of the round ball jumping the rifling.

The main problem with light ball loads is the very different exterior ballistics of a small ball changes the windage point of impact from where a 180 grain conical projectile normally hits the target. I don't recall whether the point of aim has to be changed to the left or right, but instead of adjusting my rifle sights for shooting just a few ball loads and then having to sight-in my rifle all over again for full house loads, I just put a dab of white-out correction fluid off to one side on my rear sight to use in place of the sight notch to get my rifle pointed in the right direction to compensate for the change in windage. It isn't that hard to figure out, and ~ 3 grains of Unique with a 45 grain round ball makes a nice basement shooting range load to shoot The Winter Blues away. Just remember that a 45 grain round ball out of even a super long 29-inch barrel in your Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is up there around a .22 Magnum rimfire in power, so be careful to have an adequate backstop.

Have fun safely, that is what it is all about!

rl 1,171
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master
    Old thread I know, but very interesting. I was wondering if anyone has tried the 90 grain Lee swc in a .300 blackout single-shot (Encore)? Maybe with Unique? Your thoughts? Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I shoot a bajillion Lee TL314-90-SWCs in the MN 7.62x54R, other .31s and all my .30s too. I TL lightly with straight LLA then size the bullets .314. That does it for the .31s. An addtional sizing to .311 w/o relubing makes them good to go for the .30s.

I use 3.2 gr Bullseye (no filler or wad needed) in Norma cases with WLR primers or any other standard LR primer handy. I seldom size the necks (unless I'm feeding them from the magazine) if the inside diamter is .312 - .314. I just deprime, reprime, charge with powder and thumb seat the bullet. They'll run 870 - 920 depending on length and condition of barrel. Cases that show that speckled incipient headspace line at the web are great candidates for this load as they'll then last forever.

I load 2.7 gr Bullseye under this bullet in cases of 7.62x39 to 300 Savage size. The 3.2 gr load of Bullseye is used in .308W up through '06 sized cases including the 7.62x54R.

The Hornady swaged lead .32 cal 90 gr SWC is also very good with this load.

Larry Gibson

WARNING; shooting these loads can be very, very addictive...............try to get a 6 cavity mould (not made anymore for some unknown reason) or at least two 2 cavity moulds so you can turn out enough in one casting session for at least one shooting session....I do mean these loads are very, very addictive......I can not be held responsible as I've my own addiction to feed.............
    Yeah, i know... Very, very addictive in 303 for plinking!!

.314 90 gr in .300BO yes, with Red Dot, 3 grains and 4.6. Shot well.

In fact, it shot the best I think in .30-30 with 4.6 grains of Red Dot in a Win 94. 100 yard factory load sights were right on at 25 yards. Almost no recoil or report, making this IMO a potentially very valuable small game load for the dirty thirty.

And you could tell them apart at a glance, or even with the fingers.

Currently shooting these in my new to me H&R 732, 733 revolvers in .32sw long.
    2 grains of Red Dot, and showing real potential. I may have to find a revolver with a longer barrel and better sights to really see what they can do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12