Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Russian 7.62 Nagant Revolver

Boolit Master
    I own three M1895 Nagants.

One came with a .32acp cylinder..but it wouldn't work in that particular revolver. I tried the .32acp cylinder in my other two Nagants...and it fit and worked perfectly in my 1945 Ishevsk gun...not the other two guns(both Tulas)..

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I bought a Nagant many, many years ago for $15 if I recall.....complete with four rounds of original ammuntion. It must have been an early production gun as the finish was very nice, easily on par with a Smith and Wesson of the same period. Nicely polished and blued. Of course, I shot the four rounds right away leaving me with a nice looking paper weight afterwards. I don't remember what happened to that gun, but I probably gave it to someone. Interestingly, it was single action only.

A slew of them were imported some years ago as discarded war reserves and my gunsmith bought several, just for giggles....hey, $49.95...how can you go wrong? The finish was a little rougher than what I remember, but they all functioned well. Interesting design and historically important, but just to much of a "kluk" for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Interesting design and historically important, but just to much of a "kluk" for me.
    An elitist, eh? (I'm just kidding.)

As long as they shoot safely, I'm into all types of guns! History is WONDERFUL! I do love all types of guns. Even the Rohm Model 14 revolver. (This was the cheap cast zinc revolver made in West Germany used to shoot President Reagan and James Brady.)

Scott

Boolit Master
    AIM will soon have the Nagant revolver for $110.00 and they say all of them are in excellent condition as seen in the pics at link.

1/12/12: Arriving Very Soon!
    FFL/03 C&R Required. Shipping Restrictions Apply.

Original Russian model 1895 7.62x38R (7.62 Nagant) caliber Nagant Revolvers. This historical Revolver was used and manufactured by the Russians throughout WWI and WWII. These guns are dated in 1930-40's. They are in Excellent condition as the pictures show. Expect only minor wear from military type storage. Grip may vary in color and type. Each includes the holster, tool, and cleaning rod. Though accessories may vary in size, shape, color, and condition.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3Nagant

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I bought a Nagant many, many years ago for $15 if I recall.....complete with four rounds of original ammuntion. It must have been an early production gun as the finish was very nice, easily on par with a Smith and Wesson of the same period. Nicely polished and blued. Of course, I shot the four rounds right away leaving me with a nice looking paper weight afterwards. I don't remember what happened to that gun, but I probably gave it to someone. Interestingly, it was single action only.

A slew of them were imported some years ago as discarded war reserves and my gunsmith bought several, just for giggles....hey, $49.95...how can you go wrong? The finish was a little rougher than what I remember, but they all functioned well. Interesting design and historically important, but just to much of a "kluk" for me.
    Originaly the Nagant revolver for enlisted men was in Single-Action only and for the officers Double action model for them. When these were overhauled after the Great Patriotic War they were all converted to Double Action, so I have read.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Who's this Guy ? View Post
    Originaly the Nagant revolver for enlisted men was in Single-Action only and for the officers Double action model for them. When these were overhauled after the Great Patriotic War they were all converted to Double Action, so I have read.
    Interesting. One would think that they would have been DA/SA from the outset. Had they been, it would have been mush safer (as well as a lifesaver.)

Scott

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    Interesting. One would think that they would have been DA/SA from the outset. Had they been, it would have been mush safer (as well as a lifesaver.)

Scott
    I never could understand that either. Why the enlisted/officer difference? Most likely a political decision would be my guess.

Boolit Master
    The Soviet enlisted man was so much "cannon fodder" as it were.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master

Aim small, miss small!

I got mine from Souther Ohio Gun a few years ago, with the help of a local FFL dealer to transfer. I pick it up every time I go in the gun room and dry fire. The more I use it, the more I like it. I have small hands for a guy, and the grips are just about right for me. I rolled up a box of my standard reloads for it yesterday; PPU brass and 5.3 gr Unique under a Lee 100 gr cast PB. Lube is a homemade concoction of paraffin, water pump grease and JPW. I haven't officially checked the accuracy, but it is minute of paper plate at 25 yards, and loads of fun to shoot. I plan to work on the trigger, which is truly awful.

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 02-01-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: incomplete data

After seeing one and how it works, it is a neat little gun, but what is the allure of it? If I want something light, I can go with .25acp, any of the more common 32's, 380, 38spl or even light 9MM. All these are way more available and I have to beleive cheeper to shoot.

I am not trying to upset anyone, I am just curious.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    After seeing one and how it works, it is a neat little gun, but what is the allure of it? If I want something light, I can go with .25acp, any of the more common 32's, 380, 38spl or even light 9MM. All these are way more available and I have to beleive cheeper to shoot.

It's an opportunity to shoot something different, handload for it and see how much one can wring out of the old girls!

They do it, because they can!

Scott

Boolit Buddy

I will admit the little Nagant is not for everyone it is a odd little gun that said i mostly shoot cap and ball revolvers but i always take the nagant with me to the range. I really enjoy shooting it.

As far as ammo you can't get much cheaper than Unique powder and home cast bullets. All you need for start up is a Lee Loader 25.00, Starline 32-20 brass 20.00, Lee mold 20.00 and some powder 20.00. Thats a lot of ammo for 105.00 and it could be cheaper than that if you already have some of the components.

If it was easy, everbody would be doing it. Seriously, I tried the factory ammo, and it was pretty anemic. With my handloads, I think it can approach the power of a 32-20. When I saw them listed in the ads, I just couldn't pass up a real center fire revolver for less than $100.00.

Wayne

I can understand wanting to shoot historic weapons. Heck, if I could afford it I would own a historic Gatlin gun. The thing is some of the people here are talking as if it is their main self defense or CCW gun. I just think that instead of playing around with more potent loads, that could blow up in your face litterly, that there are much more suitable firearms for this purpose. It is like using a pistol Xbow for a CCW. I have my pet guns that I would not seriously consider for selfdefense because thay are not suited to the needs.

Here again, just trying to stimulate conversation.

Boolit Master
    IMO, cannot see trying to hot rod old guns, if they killed with cartridges as designed, they will still kill today.

I have a .44-40 Colt 1873 SA, (Colt letter states mfg. 1886) it is in very good mechanical shape, locks up tight and timing is perfect. I really like to shoot it occasionally with 200 grain boolits and 33 grains 2F, but due to historical value of the piece, keep shooting to a minimum.

Boolit Master
    That is why, the .32 S&W Long still works. While shot placement is critical, the recovery time with the wound permits accurate placement of all the rounds.

"Shot placement is king, penetration is queen, everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins." - Anonymous.

'Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    The Nagant 1895 is a bit contraption-esque, but it's an affordable recreational revolver that asks a bit more of the reloader than the 38 Special. Is it a viable self-defense system? Not my first choice, but it would beat throwing rocks or dialing 9-1-1 (Tax-Supported Dial-A-Prayer). Loaded to its potential, it's closer to the 32-20 than the 32 S&W Long.

I do like a caliber that starts with a "4" or clocks 1300 FPS for social engineering/retroactive birth control, though. 40 Short & Weak, 10mm, 45 ACP, 357 Mag. Just sayin'.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance
    I can understand wanting to shoot historic weapons. Heck, if I could afford it I would own a historic Gatlin gun. The thing is some of the people here are talking as if it is their main self defense or CCW gun. I just think that instead of playing around with more potent loads, that could blow up in your face litterly, that there are much more suitable firearms for this purpose. It is like using a pistol Xbow for a CCW. I have my pet guns that I would not seriously consider for selfdefense because thay are not suited to the needs.

Here again, just trying to stimulate conversation.
    There is always a more suitable firearm for any purpose.
    And there is always an adequate firearm.

I'm sort of 'backwoodsman' in my outlook, and a good shooting and inexpensive lightweight and durable trail gun, which can indeed serve for self defense w/ a blunt 100 gr. boolit going well over 1100 fps is a good thing.
    I personally like the looks of the Nagant, and I'm glad I have mine.
    Some of us can't afford a Kimber 1911 or GP-100....and I'm certain w/ my Nagant I can outshoot many people who own those or similar modern guns.

If anyone here is still interested in the .32 acp conversion cylinders I have one for sale over in Swappin n Sellin.

Thanks, Thomas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast