Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisley Grips?

Boolit Master

Bisley Grips?

What grips are you using on your Bisley(s)? My new to me KRBS43N has a set of blackish colored grips that appear to be a laminate of some kind. The problem is they won't keep from moving around ever so slightly on the grip frame even when tightened down as hard as I dare.
    I contacted Hogue, and they informed me that they do not make a grip for the Ruger Bisley frame.
    Help!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I can't remember the brand, but got them off the Midway USA site, see them here, post #16. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...95#post2775195 They don't move. Try some spirit gum to hold them steady. It won't harm anything and is easily removed.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Contact Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips. He makes some nice grips & is very reasonable in prices.
    Another thought, do NOT overtighten grip screws. It will pull out the eustations. I always place plastic spacers between grip panels in all my SA guns. I buy mine at hardware stores, grind a few thousands off, (Ruger grip frames are 1/2" wide, so I take the 1/2" spacers & reduce them to .005 less.) & install them over the screw shaft. Prevents busted grips.

Boolit Master

I can't remember the brand either(I've always thought they were Hogue), but I got some black micarta Bisley grips from Midway about 20 years ago. Considering the state of my memory, it could have been 10-25 years ago. It was some sort of close out. They also had ivory micarta. I've kicked myself many times for not ordering both.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    You can also make spacers from 22 hornet necks or 22lr cases, if you want a brass one.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I'm trying to convince guy to make me some buffalo grips, but it's hard to find decent buffalo. Grashorn grips out of wy- co border

It sounds like either your grip frame or the flats of your grips is slightly out of plum; more than likely the grip panels. If you can lightly sand the flat surface of each panel against a larger flat surface, it might even them out helping them stay in place with less play.

I have some of the Hogue walnut grips frankenfab is linking. They are affordable and have a surprising amount of figure in the wood for the price. They fit so well, I didn't have to do any fitting. They are on my large frame .45 colt bisley and they've never given me issue. I think Hogue makes so many types of grips they themselves can't keep up with inventories.

Thanks,

Patrick

Boolit Mold
    If you have access to a lathe or someone who does. I had 2 brass pins made to fit in the area under the grip where the extended roll pin is. The heads were sized to fit in the opening of the actual grips and the lower end sized to fit in the actual frame. (similar to the locating pins on a Dillon). When located and sized correctly, it solved my movement issue.

Boolit Buddy
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I contacted Hogue, and they informed me that they do not make a grip for the Ruger Bisley frame.
    My Bisley is wearing Hogue Cowboy grips in "ivory"

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I should have said that Hogue doesn't make rubber grips for the Bisley. I run Hogue rubber grips on all my Smiths and Rugers and I love them.

Boolit Master

I put hogue cowboy wood grips on my Bisley. Better than stock grips but still not big enough for my hands.

Banned

I can not shoot a Bisley with any grips. Only factory Freedom rubber grips helped on them. I don't know who made them. The Bisley is a curse for accuracy for me. Some think they are right for recoil but not me. I hate the things. Other then the RH, might be the worst grip ever.
    Internet junk about them.

Boolit Master
    Other then the RH, might be the worst grip ever.
    Agree on the RH, but not on the Bisley.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Another thought, do NOT overtighten grip screws. It will pull out the eustations.
    I had to think about this for a minute. Auto-correctese for escutcheons.

Boolit Master
    There will be no guarantee that your replacement grips won't shift around. I would just bed a couple three key points with glass bedding compound and save myself the trouble and money.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    Put a coat of plain ole rubber cement on the grips and frame let dry and reassemble . Same old glue used at schools .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    Put a coat of plain ole rubber cement on the grips and frame let dry and reassemble . Same old glue used at schools .
    Could you pleas furnish a brand name on the rubber cement? I haven't darkened the doors of a school that used rubber glue since 1955!

Boolit Master

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast