Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Winchester - Where can I find....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigwacker View Post
    Mooseman,
    What would you do with the front sight blade and the elevator missing? Are there OEM blades and elevators available, if so, where can you find them? Are all replacement blades going to devalue the gun by the same amount? I would like to keep it as original as possible, but the blade is gone and I need something to make it shootable. No matter what it is worth, I only paid $250 for it, but it will never, in my lifetime, be sold.
    There is no greater shame to me than to have a nice old rifle like this and not shoot it. Regarless of the value, that weapon was made to but used. I have a good number of original Winchesters and shoot them all. Some may cringe to hear it, but I also meticulously maintain these rifles, to include replacing broken or missing parts. Buying old Winchesters in poor condition and bringing them back into functional order is a good way for a guy on a budget to own these nice old rifles. In some cases, re-finished, functional rifles are valued higher than non-functioning poor condition rifles. The important thing is to document and save the information on the work that was done and who it was done by. To see what can be done with old rifles look up Doug Turnbull on google. They do amaizing work in his shop.
    This should be the front sight you need. That's a good price too.
    http://www.chasjonesgunparts.com/cat...539/211305.htm
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master
    The original front sight for my Model 1894 made in 1899 has a modern reproduction that is here http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...60624&CAT=4072

Boolit Mold
    Original front sight, ordered today -$135
    Reproduction elevator, ordered today - $12.50

Garry Fellers Sights & Scopes
    3249 Marie Lane
    Fort Worth, Texas 76123-2055

Mooseman - Sbowers referred me on to Garry. I ordered the parts via snail mail, paid with a check; no email, no credit cards, 6 weeks to delivery, but good old fashioned service and he has the original front sight not a reproduction, so I was happy about that.

I heard back from Bob's Gun Shop in Arkansas via email they did not have the part.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chris
    Last edited by Pigwacker; 02-01-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: clarificaton

Boolit Master

Good ! Glad you found them...we need pics when it finished .

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    are you missing just the blade? if so i have made many from old keys.

Boolit Master
    Pigwacker, it sounds like you are doing things up right. There is a real enjoyment and satisfaction from shooting an original old Winchester. I hope everything goes well with the shipping and installation of the sight.

Boolit Mold
    Mooseman - Posting pics, idk, that sounds pretty technical, but maybe, by the time I get the sight installed, i can figure that out.

Bob208 - Truth be told, I fashioned a blade from two dimes soldered together, but it just didn't look respectable.

KirkD - Do you have any ideas on how to loosen up the setscrew on the base so I can pull the old dovetail out?

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    David Kennedy, former curator at Cody, is a careful fellow. I wonder if his data uses the polishing room records? That might account for a date that is earlier than the Warehouse date. For those readers here who may not know this, the naked receiver was serialized in the Polishing room before being sent off for assembly. According to BATF, that is the date that determines whether or not the rifle has antique status. Most frames went into assembly immediately, but there are cases where a frame could sit around for a few years before being assembled. I have a Model 1876 where that happened. So relevant dates for any Winchester are:

1. Polishing room date (unassembled receiver was serialized)
    2. Date it was received in the warehouse (usually within a day or so of completed assembly)
    3. Shipping date (anywhere from the same day to a year later after entering the warehouse).

The Cody Museum has started issuing letters with all three dates on them. As for me, the most meaningful date is the date it was finished, which is the warehouse date.

With regard to whether one can shoot a rifle so old, let me reassure you, Pigwacker, that you most certainly can. I went hunting this year with a Model 1876 made in 1886. I do a lot of shooting with Winchesters that are over 100 years old. Of course, I do it with care, avoiding bumping them on rocks and trees, etc.
    Do you have a link to the section of the CFR that has that information spelled out?
    I find it strange that the high lighted sentence is almost a polar opposite of what is spelled out in the GCA 1986 as to the date of manufacture.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Mold
    FYI - I got the old dove tail out today. I had to make my own hollow ground screwdriver to fit the set screw. Of course, i think it helped to have soaked for a week with a penetrating oil. I also got it slugged and it measured .310. I have about 4-5 weeks to go before I receive my front site. Can't wait to get that installed.

Can anyone tell me how to check the headspace or is their a thread on this site or another that covers that subject? Would it be worth my while to do it myself or should I just take it to a gunsmith?

Chris

Boolit Master

The headspace has to be checked with proper gauges...a Qualified gunsmith can do that in a few minutes if he has the gauges...

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pigwacker View Post
    FYI - I got the old dove tail out today. I had to make my own hollow ground screwdriver to fit the set screw. Of course, i think it helped to have soaked for a week with a penetrating oil. I also got it slugged and it measured .310. I have about 4-5 weeks to go before I receive my front site. Can't wait to get that installed.

Can anyone tell me how to check the headspace or is their a thread on this site or another that covers that subject? Would it be worth my while to do it myself or should I just take it to a gunsmith?

Chris
    The pore mans head space gauge. A new factory cartridge with layers of masking tape built up on the base until you feel a slight drag on closing, or in the case of a lever gun the lever stops just before closing all the way. Peal off the masking tape and measure with a micrometer. Most bolt guns should drag with one layer or not at all, if you can fit two layers you got to much head space. A Winchester 94 will most of the time close all the way with two layers (About .008"). If a Winchester is set up with to little head space it can be hard to open after firing. Most of the 94s that come through the shop will close on a factory no go gauge but that does not mean they are not safe to shoot, just means the primer may back out a little and the brass won't last as long for reloading.
    Strange thing on the 30-30, the brass will grip the chamber wall in most cases and not stretch. If there is head space the primer will be sticking out a bit. When you get to higher pressure cartridges the brass will stretch so the base is against the bolt and there will be no primer protrusion, but there may be a bright spot around the brass about 1/4" to 3/8" from the base where the brass is stretched.

Boolit Buddy
    Gary Fellers is a straight up guy. I have purchased three tang sights from him and all were as he described. The Lyman JA for my Marlin 1893 38-55 was new in the box. The two Marbles for my 336s were used, but like new. I would gladly buy from him again.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Most frames went into assembly immediately, but there are cases where a frame could sit around for a few years before being assembled.
    Same was true for the Ballards, where a low S/N frame could go into final production much, much later. This was especially true when Marlin discontinued production of the Ballard, but they used up the old existing parts for putting together several rifles for a few years afterwards.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    Gary Fellers is a straight up guy. I have purchased three tang sights from him and all were as he described. The Lyman JA for my Marlin 1893 38-55 was new in the box. The two Marbles for my 336s were used, but like new. I would gladly buy from him again.

Bill
    Bill, I could tell he was a straight up guy on the phone. I'm just waiting for my check to clear and for him to get home from vacation. I can't wait to install new front sight.

Chris

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The pore mans head space gauge. A new factory cartridge with layers of masking tape built up on the base until you feel a slight drag on closing, or in the case of a lever gun the lever stops just before closing all the way. Peal off the masking tape and measure with a micrometer. Most bolt guns should drag with one layer or not at all, if you can fit two layers you got to much head space. A Winchester 94 will most of the time close all the way with two layers (About .008"). If a Winchester is set up with to little head space it can be hard to open after firing. Most of the 94s that come through the shop will close on a factory no go gauge but that does not mean they are not safe to shoot, just means the primer may back out a little and the brass won't last as long for reloading.
    Strange thing on the 30-30, the brass will grip the chamber wall in most cases and not stretch. If there is head space the primer will be sticking out a bit. When you get to higher pressure cartridges the brass will stretch so the base is against the bolt and there will be no primer protrusion, but there may be a bright spot around the brass about 1/4" to 3/8" from the base where the brass is stretched.
    John, I'm going to have try this out and see if I'm in the ballpark. I'm going to have to find a new 30-30 round somewhere, everything I have is a reload.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12