Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping a Mosin Nagant

Banned

Scoping a Mosin Nagant

I need help here. I have a good shooting Mosin & want to scope it. My eyes are 59 years old & undergoing cataract surgery. That being said, should I use a Long Eye Relief Scope or should I mount a standard scope? I'm looking for suggestions. Feel free to comment please!

Just my opinion, but I cannot get used to having a scope forward on the barrel. My vote is for a std scope.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Master
    Scout scope is much less hassle to mount. Scout scoping methods are now currently being discussed in multiple threads here on CB.

I like the scout scope concept, with little practice is now much more natural for me. Keep both eyes open and on target, scout scoped rifle naturally mounts to the shoulder with cross hairs dead on.

In most instances, a riser cheek piece is required to get a repeatable cheek weld each time.
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 01-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Pigslayer:
    I sporterized a M44 a few years ago. I mounted a Leupold Rifleman 2x7 power scope on it with a B-Square mount. It is mounted above the action, as I do not like the scout scope look.
    But, to each his own.
    I have a small China made drill press that worked very well. The mount was easy to drill and
    tap the action for.
    A person could get by with w lower x scope, but I wanted the ability to shoot flies at 25 to
    50 yardswith cast, as well as 100 yard paper targets with cast.
    It will also be very useful in the deer woods. It shoots jacketed very very accurately.
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master

My eyes aren't the best anymore either but I can get along fine with a scout scope. I have a 2.5x on my Mosin and it works for me. If yo do go to the regular scope don't get the cheapie mount but go with a good side mount.

Boolit Master
    This is a pre bubbarized Tula I scout scoped.

[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Thanks guys. I have decided to go with the Scout scope. Have ordered a good mount & now am looking at scopes. Want something to do the job & not break the bank. I already have Nikon & Leupold on other rifles but hey, this is a $84.00 Mosin!
    NC Star scope is definitly a NO GO. Too many bad reviews with that one. But am looking closely at a BSA Edge 2-7x32 Long Eye relief. Got good reviews on that scope. Any comments. Pros? Cons?

Banned
    Got my scope mount for my Mosin today. It fits in the rear sight channel (with the sight & spring removed). This mount is going to be VERY solid and effortless to install. I'll show pics later. Nothing cheap about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a Bsquare and a Cheap scope from a member here.I tighten the Heck out of the Sockethead screws and it is a very solid.It looks funny with the scout scope mounted on the rear sight.I put it on a 1943 91 30 and it shoot good for a war time rifle.I got 4 in groups with my reloads consisting of pulldown Bulgarian powder and the heavy 184 gr.Milsurp bullets.I reduced my loads by 10% and I think with a rest and some tweaking it will do better.I am going to play with powders and some modern bullets and cast and see what it will do,Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Hello,

Try this:

http://www.smith-sights.com/brassstacker.php
    (bottom of page and background)

Alternatively, you can put a PE or PU 'scope on it. You will need to have a bent handle installed into your bolt body, and if you go with a PU 'scope, you will need to shim the mount if you want the crosshairs (actually a post reticule on most reproductions) to be centered.

If I recall correctly, the PU 'scope had rather coarse adjustments of 7MOAx3MOA or so.

Regards,

Josh

Banned

Scope Mount

Quote Originally Posted by milsurp mike View Post
    I got a Bsquare and a Cheap scope from a member here.I tighten the Heck out of the Sockethead screws and it is a very solid.It looks funny with the scout scope mounted on the rear sight.I put it on a 1943 91 30 and it shoot good for a war time rifle.I got 4 in groups with my reloads consisting of pulldown Bulgarian powder and the heavy 184 gr.Milsurp bullets.I reduced my loads by 10% and I think with a rest and some tweaking it will do better.I am going to play with powders and some modern bullets and cast and see what it will do,Mike
    I haven't shot any of my cast bullets yet. Weather hasn't permitted going to the range. I have shot some Privi Partisan 150 gr SP with open sights at 50 yards. I was getting 2" groups with cataract laden eyes.
    As of late have been undergoing cataract surgery. The right eye is done with 20/15 vision. I go to have the left eye done on 2/6. Gee! New eyes & a scope should turn out some worthy results at 100 yds.! Ya think?
    I have been told that a Bsquare mount is a worthwhile investment. What scope did you use?? I'm still shopping for one.

Boolit Mold
    has no one suggested the jmeck no-drill mounts??? Google Jmeck Scope Mounts.
    Last edited by bobvonb; 02-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Has anyone here installed one of the reproductions of the original WW2 sniper mount
    and PU scope?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I installed a S&K for my M39 and it is rock solid and not a mark on my rifle. I like the long relief a lot. No drilling and tapping or bolt bending required, just make sure you buy a quality mount.

Boolit Buddy
    I have installed two of the PU mounts .Not bad if you have a decent drill press and a good vise .I bought them from Accumounts ,also available on Ebay. I have two of these Advanced Rifle Parts but havent tried them yet .Looks like a good way to go and not have to use a pistol scope or do any drilling http://advancedrifleparts.com/installation.html Arnie

Boolit Buddy
    I just used a Bsquare mount and so far it is great.Cheap and no drill attaches to rear sight.Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Banned
    I installed my scout scope mount on my Mosin today. Rock solid! I attached a picture of one with the scope attached. Mine is black anodized though. See second picture. Very easy to install. Just need a drill press & patience. Pretty slick huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosin.jpg   Mosin 001 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 02-05-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Picture

Banned

Trigger Job

Shimmed my Trigger Spring by using the round tab of a wire terminal end. It's a hair over 1/32" thick. Reduced the heavy trigger pull by a couple of pounds. Ordered a trigger spring to take the slop/slack out of the trigger. One must be careful in doing this and it's done at one's own risk. To thick a shim can cause an unwanted/premature ignition.
    There is a seller on ebay that is selling spring washers for $5.00 each and inplies that they are made for the Mosin. Actually they are nothing more than a spring washer that can be bought at McMaster-Carr.com @ $6.50 for 50 pcs..
    Should anyone need a replacement for a "Lost" Trigger pin (yes I lost mine), a #20 (.161) drill bit shank fits perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosin Trigger 001 (Medium).JPG   Mosin Trigger 002 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 02-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Banned
    New Rings Arrived & they are junk. Fleabay go figure! Bad threads on the screws & holes not tapped all the way through. Won't even make the effort to send them back. I knew better. Ordered a set of Weaver High Top Mount rings. Will I ever learn?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosin Rings 001 (Medium).JPG  
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 02-06-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    not to rain, but to remind that the traditional answer was to mount the scope offset to the left by about an inch and use a left eye alignment. did this on a carcano a month or so and like it much.

of course, it was free. the mount was a piece of 1/8 X 3 steel flat bar bent into a zigzag on the bench vise and drilled to take an AR carry handle mount scope base. i tack welded the front of it to the siderail, mounted the scope, twisted the base into alignment while boresighting on a fork in a tree 200 yards away, and added a second weld on the other end. bingo.