Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Appetizer thread

Boolit Master

Appetizer thread - Finger Foods

How about a thread with our favorite finger foods. Super Bowl is coming up so let's see what we can come up with.

Here's one to start it off.

Take 2-3 packages of Little Smokies, the little 1.5" long smoked sausages and a pound of smoked bacon. Cut the bacon strips in thirds so each strip is about 3" long. Wrap the smokies with a piece of bacon and spear with a tooth pick to hold it.

(I've found that the cheap bacon isn't very uniform and makes wrapping a little harder. Try to get uniform bacon if you can.)

Put a cooling rack on a large cookie tin, and arrange the wraps close but not touching each other. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the wraps, not much, just a little on each.

Cook in an oven at 375ºF for about 35-45 minutes, until the bacon is how you like it, I like it browned. The grease will drip away.
    Excellent little snacks, even better than they sound. Try it out. I used maple bacon last time and it was great.

I've made a double batch of these the last few holidays and never any leftovers.

What snacks do you guys like?

Th
    Last edited by Triggerhappy; 01-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Boolit Master

Just about anything with a beer. One of my favorites is cooked ground Deer in xtra hot Rotel/Velveeta mixture. Darn, now I'm hungry. Occasionally switch out the Deer with Hot Jimmy Dean Sausage. A bag of Tostitos and I'm in Heaven.

Boolit Master
    Here is a great recipe if you like "Reubens". It is always a big hit around here.
    REUBEN DIP
    8 ounces cooked corned beef coarsley chopped
    1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing

Toasted cocktail rye bread slices and/or thick pretzel sticks for serving

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix corned beef, sauerkraut, cream cheese, Swiss cheese and dressing together in an ovenproof dish.
    Bake 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.

Serve with cocktail rye bread and/or pretzels. Makes 8 servies

ENJOY!
    Last edited by winelover; 01-29-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually whip up some ABT's (Atomic Butt Turds) for appetizers.

I halved and seeded jalapenos, stuffed with cream cheese, velveeta, and a little smokie, then wrapped in bacon.

You can throw them in the smoker for a couple of hours or in the oven at 225 - 250 deg for 2 or more hours until the bacon is browned.
    Last edited by stubshaft; 03-07-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    How about a thread with our favorite finger foods. Super Bowl is coming up so let's see what we can come up with.

Here's one to start it off.

Take 2-3 packages of Little Smokies, the little 1.5" long smoked sausages and a pound of smoked bacon. Cut the bacon strips in thirds so each strip is about 3" long. Wrap the smokies with a piece of bacon and spear with a tooth pick to hold it.

(I've found that the cheap bacon isn't very uniform and makes wrapping a little harder. Try to get uniform bacon if you can.)

Put a cooling rack on a large cookie tin, and arrange the wraps close but not touching each other. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the wraps, not much, just a little on each.

Cook in an oven at 375ºF for about 35-45 minutes, until the bacon is how you like it, I like it browned. The grease will drip away.
    Excellent little snacks, even better than they sound. Try it out. I used maple bacon last time and it was great.

I've made a double batch of these the last few holidays and never any leftovers.

What snacks do you guys like?

Th
    Wrap oysters instead of smokies if you like them. They are good even out of a jar.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Cheese fries are a big favorite here.

Get a bag of Ore-Ida Zesties french fries, some grated cheddar or cheese blend, some bacon, and some ranch dressing.

Pre-heat oven to 350

Deep fry the fries. I limit to 2 batches in my fryer, so the first batch isn't soggy when the last batch comes out of the fryer.

Spread cooked fries in a thin layer on a large pizza pan or baking sheet, top with cheese and chopped bacon.

Place in oven or broiler till the cheese is melted.

Serve with ranch dressing for dipping.

You can cook the fries by baking instead of frying, but it just isn't the same.

I have 3 of the mini crock pots that I use for little smokies and such. I will put a pack of smokies and some BBQ sauce in 1, maybe some meatballs and a different BBQ sauce in another.

White cheese dip:

Cube White American or use Great Value White American cheese food slices torn in to pieces. Put in bowl in microwave with milk gradually added and stirred in to desired consistency. Add chopped pickled jalepenos, and some of the jalepeno juice. The juice is important. You can also put a smidge of red pepper flakes in, or other spices if you like.

I love the old stand by Rotel, too. 1 can Rotel to 1/2 loaf of Velveeta, add milk. My favorite varoarions include Velveeta and a partial can of chili-no beans, or hamburger cooked with taco seasoning or chili powder.

I always liked the WHOLE tomatoes and green chilis. I can't find them any more. The 'maters were my favorite part.

Banned

ABT's (AKA Atomic Buffalo Turds) are awesome! I like the oyster idea, too, and the Reuben dip.......

Boolit Master
    Got to be more good ideas out there. What snacks are you guys having for game day this Sunday?

TH

Those are some great ideas up above, I'm going to try some soon.

Anyhow, here are two that are easy.

This one is great for unexpected company, but it tastes good enough to have any time.
    Get one brick of cream cheese, put it in a baking dish then cover it with barbecue sauce ( I like these guys - http://www.ilovetwofatguys.com/ ). I'll also sprinkle on some sesame seeds and bake it for 25 minutes or so at 325-350 degrees. The cheese gets all soft and absorbs a lot of the bbq flavor. Then serve it with your favorite crackers. Simple, easy and pretty good.

This next one tastes best if made a day ahead of time.
    You will need:
    1 - package of cream cheese, softened
    1- can of Underwood Deviled Ham
    1 - heaping tablespoon of your favorite mustard
    1 - heaping tablespoon of pickle relish (optional)
    1 - teaspoon of dried chives
    Pepper to taste.

Mash it all up and mix it together. Then let it chill overnight and serve with your favorite crackers. I typically will line a bowl with plastic wrap, pour the mixture in, cover it up and then put it in the refrigerator overnight. When it's time for the party, just unwrap the ball and put it in your serving plate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    Got to be more good ideas out there. What snacks are you guys having for game day this Sunday?

TH
    Gonna do a pork butt in the oven on low or crock pot.
    Pull it and Have it on some good deli bread.

Go Giants!!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Just put it in the oven.

Used this recipe with modifications.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Here's a couple of quick and easy ones: Put a cake of cream cheese on a plate and pour Pickapeppa sauce over it. Spread on crackers. If you happen to have a jar of jalapeno or habanero jelly around, use it instead of the Pickapeppa.

Speaking of crackers, JSH got us started on the following experiments: Buy a box of cheap saltines. In a blender put 1.5 cups of canola oil and one of the following:

1.5 T. Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning and 1 T. crushed red chilies, or

2 T. grated parmesan cheese and 1 T. garlic powder

Put two sleeves of the saltines in a BIG ziplock bag, blend the oil and seasonings, and pour half over the saltines. Put in the rest of the saltines, blend the remainder of the oil and seasoning and add it. Close the bag and turn it until the oil is all absorbed.

These crackers have been a sensation among our friends. And you can use about any seasoning you care to.