RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 410 slugs from once fired 9mm cases

Boolit Buddy

410 slugs from once fired 9mm cases

Started a project today.
    I took once fired 9mm cases and filled them halfway with 9 shot.

took propane torch and heated them till the shot melted.

a drop of tinning flux in each before heating ensure the lead bonded to the brass.

then fill the rest of the case with hot glue.

I loaded them in remington nitro sts hulls with 15.0 grains of H110 and then the gas seal off an old Waa41 wad.. After that i filled the hull with corn meal and then topped it off with the impromptu slug.

I only made two of them but came to these conclusions:

need more lead in the slug as the 9 shot melted and did not leave the desired volume of lead.

15 grains of H110 is not enough with that weight slug

the corn meal filler might not be up to this job. card wads and or Polyethlyene shot buffer might work better.

a roll crimp would be ideal.

this load cuts nice clean holes.

I need to buy a reloading press for 410s.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Master

Be careful with those 9mm slugs. They'll only go through the choke on 2 of my .410's. I think you may find that you need more weight forward. I know some of mine will tumble. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    woody, i checked them in my guns, they pass through all the full choke guns i have.
    A.F.A.M.

Im going to follow ur post for your results. Sounds VERY INTERESTING!
    A Poacher Is A Thief... And We Are The Victim.

Boolit Bub
    you just had to post this :mrgreen got me thinking ....and experimenting I have been using the cut off wad home made cork filler wads a leather wad under the hull and today I got'em to group paper patch them with sketch pad paper I need to start cleaning and fluxing the cases to get the lead to stay put once in a while the lead shifts and the bullet tumbles
    Roy

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
    you just had to post this :mrgreen got me thinking ....and experimenting I have been using the cut off wad home made cork filler wads a leather wad under the hull and today I got'em to group paper patch them with sketch pad paper I need to start cleaning and fluxing the cases to get the lead to stay put once in a while the lead shifts and the bullet tumbles
    Roy
    25 yards 4 shots

Boolit Master
    Neat idea... going to have to try it.

Boolit Master
    I had never heard of using a 9mm case to build a 410 slug until this thread. Is there any place where this goes more in depth. Some pictures would be good too.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    I had never heard of using a 9mm case to build a 410 slug until this thread. Is there any place where this goes more in depth. Some pictures would be good too.
    the first post here gave me the idea I know 15 grains of h110 is a load given to me for 3/4 oz 410 shot load( by the manufacturer of the powdwer) so it should be safe for a 1/4 oz load. the brass went through the choke (too loose ) first batch wouldn't stay on a paper plate
    I load in winchester 3" hull cut the gas seal off a winchester wad cut filler wads from cork I buy @ walmart in 12x12 pieces 1/4 in thick plus a wad cut from leather under the brass takes 7 cork wads . after the first try I was think of how to get them to group and saw the paper patched forum a wrap of sketch paper and the picture shows results I think the one tumbled because I didn't flux the cases before the lead melted and the core moved
    Roy

Boolit Buddy
    im gonna use an 00 buck pellet in each case with a drop of tinning flux. im gonna use an expander die to over bell the case to bump it up closer to bore diamer (0r at least choke diameter.).

Tips: Heat the case with the lead in it till its cherry red.
    fill the open case mouth with something pretty hard. my next batch are filled with quick steel..

I am also going to use a BP gas seal and shot buffer for the filler.

and more than 15 grains of H110. like somewhere between 12.0 and 14.0 grains of Longshot.

right now i have to find a better way of loading the 410. i wish i could come across a lee loader or some other way to load without having to shell out the cash for a MEC.
    A.F.A.M.

I have no experience with this at all, but was thinking that the 9mm case should be annealed and weighed and then the lead should be weighed before being added to the case and afterward it should be loaded with the head of the toward the muzzle so that the case may flair a bit and the most weight would be upfront. Is this thinking correct? Harmon sending you a PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    I have no experience with this at all, but was thinking that the 9mm case should be annealed and weighed and then the lead should be weighed before being added to the case and afterward it should be loaded with the head of the toward the muzzle so that the case may flair a bit and the most weight would be upfront. Is this thinking correct? Harmon sending you a PM.
    The ones I'm playing with weighed for average with a .5 scoop out of my lee dipper set of 7 1/2 shot they are weighing between 105-110 grains about the same as a 1/4 oz slug loaded head toward the muzzle I am using cork wading instead of filler

Boolit Buddy
    roy have you gotten around to shooting any more of the home made slugs?
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmon_Greer View Post
    roy have you gotten around to shooting any more of the home made slugs?
    No In the winter months our club closes at 5 pm . I get home at 4;30 and it is 20 munites to the club . May not get out this week end we have a weather advisery this week end

Boolit Bub
    will try this out with my brass hulls made from 303 brit brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by torpedoman View Post
    will try this out with my brass hulls made from 303 brit brass.
    Just make sure they will fit thru your choke. A 9mm will not fit thru one of my 3
    .410's.

I've been making slugs out of .380 and 9mm cases for several years now. If I could get them to fit my choke perfectly, they might not tumble. I flare the mouth of the case, which becomes the butt of the slug, so it is larger than the bore. I've been filling the butt of the slug with bullet lube. Why? Because... You definitely need something there to keep the wad from blowing in it. I've not yet been able to keep my slugs from sometimes tumbling. I'll try something, get encouraged and suddenly I've got some tumbling again. So.... The last ones I built I opened up the primer pockets, drilled 'em out with what? I don't recall the bit size but it's just about the same size as the primer. I then set the case over a piece of aluminum with a divot in it so some of the lead would flow thru the primer pocket and have some ahead of it both to add weight and get more weight forward. (A partition slug?)
    Tell you what I think. If one of you guys with more machines and skills than I could make a mould that one could fit a 9mm case in the top of and get more lead ahead of the case head, we'd have something that'd work. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Mold
    will try this out with my brass hulls made from 303 brit brass

Hey Torpedoman, the idea of making 410 brass from 303 Brit interests me; how do you expand the case?

Boolit Master

I'm not torpedoman but I've expanded 303's by fireforming, Mostly I was less than satisfied with the results. The process is to use 6-8 grains of some fast burning powder. I use Red Dot and top with COW or similar, I use cornmeal and cap with a smear of bullet lube just to hold it all together. Firing holding the gun straight up seems to help the case fill out more evenly.

Check this out: http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html
    Last edited by woody1; 03-28-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added link
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    What's the advantage of using the brass case rather than a bare lead slug?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    What's the advantage of using the brass case rather than a bare lead slug?
    Mebe "because I can." I don't have nor do I know who makes a .410 slug mould. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast