Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny how things work out

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Funny how things work out

This week a friend from another forum had reason to drive to Rochester. He had 400 rounds of remington corelokt 140 grain 7mm mauser ammo he was kind enough to gift to me.

I was going to break down the cartridges, use the bullets in my 7-08s and neck the brass up to 8mm. NOT SO!

After meeting up I drove back to work. I had some conversation on the subject with a colleague who said "you know Steve has a 7mm mauser and I think he's looking to sell it."
    So...... a quick call to Steve and he agrees to sell me his mauser for $100. I had the $100 on me and paid him forthwith.
    By lunchtime I had 400 rounds of ammo and a rifle in which to use it.

For a $100 I got a bubba'd 1908 brazilian large ring mauser with all matching numbers in a ram line stock. It has a 3 x 9 Leupold AO scope on it. For a measly $100 I got a rifle with a $350 scope on it and 400 factory rounds. I figure with cast boolits I can get 6-8,000 rounds of shooting fun out of this rifle, sell it off for a $100 and keep the scope.

Or I can shoot it until the cases wear out and rebarrel it to a .358 win carbine, put irons on it and make it my canoe gun in the adirondacks. Matter of fact this option very much appeals to me.

Funny how things work out sometimes. Oh BTW, the reason he gave me the ammo is because I helped him out years back with some .44 mag ammo loaded with CB's. He doesn't reload yet.

Last edited by fatnhappy; 01-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is good to have friends like that.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Got get yourself a lottery ticket in case you didnt use up all your luck today

Man, that's awesome. I never have stuff fall into place for me like that.
    "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.

In Remembrance
    I can see the guy giving you the ammo, that is Karma coming home. I hope Karma don't get you for robbing the guy with the rifle though. lol

very nice!

whole thing looks great. 7x57 is fine. keep everything as is.

or put a vintage weaver K-2.5 on it, for the retro look.
    got mold?

Boolit Master
    You are obviously a good man to have such good friends. Have fun with the new weapon.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Now that is totally sweet!

Boolit Grand Master

Amazing. I am assuming that the Leupold scope didn't come on the $100 rifle.

That is good ammo, I've killed a deer with that particular load, it did very well.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Slug your barrel before wasting some of that ammo. My 1908 Brazilian has a .2885 bore and doesn't shot factory stuff worth a darn.

That was a sweet deal all around though. Good for you sir...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Wanna double your money on that deal?

I know, I'm all heart!
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

One of my favorite calibers, a fine elk and deer rifle. Enjoy it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Slug your barrel before wasting some of that ammo. My 1908 Brazilian has a .2885 bore and doesn't shot factory stuff worth a darn.

That was a sweet deal all around though. Good for you sir...Ray
    Hmmm now according to this comment my 6.5mm's cannot shoot normal faqctory made bullets as rather than the US accepted norm of 0.004" deep rifling they actually have double that depth so groove size rather that the American stipulated 0.264" diameter is 0.268" ................................................ strange thing is that they shoot just fine thank you.

Then there is the Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57mm whih has groove diameter of 0.370" rather than the American stipulated 0.366" and again it shoots just fine with normal 9.3mm Jacketed bullets.

The reason you 1908 Mauser does not shoot is not the groove size but something else.

Could it be the ammunition your tried was of suspect quality? After all it happens.

I brought some factory Winchester 150 grain ammunition in 30-30 for my bolt action rifle and the first two boxes shot patterns rather than groups. Luckily hand loads produce nice tight groups of well under 1" and if I do my part can put three into one hole. A couple of years later I picked up another couple boxes of the Winchester ammunition and it shot around MOA... Different batches differing QC. The first boxes must have been pretty poor. So I went back and brought a few more boxes JIC.

In Remebrance

Good on you! You might just find out you don't need that 358 so bad once you see what a fantastic round the 7x57 is. I solidly maintain that if 99% of our hunters were issued a 7x57 for everything in the big game line short of grizz and brown bear they'd be far more successful and effective hunters.

Boolit Master
    Wow that is a great story. Enjoy your new rifle and go get a lottery ticket! Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Good on you! You might just find out you don't need that 358 so bad once you see what a fantastic round the 7x57 is. I solidly maintain that if 99% of our hunters were issued a 7x57 for everything in the big game line short of grizz and brown bear they'd be far more successful and effective hunters.
    Brett, trust me when I say I'm well aware of the 7 x 57's qualifications.
    There's a reason why I own two 7-08s.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Amazing. I am assuming that the Leupold scope didn't come on the $100 rifle.
    It most assuredly did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

In Remembrance

Thumbs up

DOB,

One more deal like that and I'm putting you on my Ignore List.

FANTASTIC deal you got and good that some of that good karma you give came back for you. I love it when good things happen to good people.

Boolit Master

I drove though Roster N.Y. A week ago normally I go though Canada but had to take the long way home . In the morning here I listen to WYSL I really like the slant they put on the news they seem to have the correct thinking at that radio station (no PC ) . I listen over the internet.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned
    Pulled one like you!

Helped a guy half side lame with winter firewood.
    Yesterday he claimed that i owed him a bottle of $10 booze.
    What he had gotten from a dying friend is a fine Norwegian Nagant revolver with leather holster.
    Needles to say we split the bottle today

Here it is:

Boolit Master

Whoa!! Both of you have the right monikers Fatnhappy and Chicken Thief!! I'd be both with those deals!! LOL I'm just jealous. I hear about those things all the time, but never am lucky enough to stumble over them. Keep hoping I'll find Custer's pistol at some garage sale!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast