Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: another go-round with the 45-120

another go-round with the 45-120

shiloh finally got here and im very happy so far with my trade. another black rifle gone in trade in favor of a buff gun.

this is a hartford model and no special build..just plain ol iron ...that is if you could ever call a shiloh plain. she has the heavy octagon barrel that will help obsorb some of the recoil but the 120 case full of black powder will allow you to know that a real rifle has let go when you yank on the trigger...at least my previous experience is such. prolly weighs in around 11 or so pounds and the straight wrist with a silver nose cap on the forarm. double set triggers and buckhorn/silver blade sights. the action looks like a different kind of case colors in that it is very smooth and bright but still kinda flat looking...[maybe what is called "packed" finish...whatever that is]....[anybody?].

i have some reloads that have been around since the last go-round with this huge case so i have a couple shots ill be able to take today in the yard to see it go boom but at -30's ill not tarry outside long. no accuracy tests yet till spring since the range ...[or anyplace else] is snowed in till spring...guess i could string up the snow-shoes and go at it anyway but brrrrrrr...these bones get cold fast anymore it seems...

at any rate im braggin and ill post some pictures when i get em and a report on the shootability of this long waited for rifle.

Boolit Master
    Ted I'm sure you'll find that the recoil on that Shiloh will be a fair bit more tolerable than it was on the other .45-120 you had. Have fun out there in that cold

Chris.

went out and shot the 120 today. had some loads of 29 grains of trailboss behind some 350ish boolits . fired them with the acompanying easy recoil i expected and after 10 shots i went in to see what the barrel looked like....2 patch's and clean n shiney again.

went in and loaded 100 grains of goex 2f behind my 520 grain 457125 boolits. sparked with cci 200 large rifle primers. with a felt 1/8th over powder wad. the compression was around 1/8th inch. lube on the boolit was 1/3rd bee wax..1/3rd crisco..1/3rd peanut oil. all in a rcbs cartridge [norma].

fired the first one and what a difference between this sweety and the hiwall i had so chambered. knew i fired something but definetly not uncomfortable. after three i couldnt feel my fingers for the cold so i went in to see what things looked like. after swabbing the bore with a tight patch sprayed with my 25% ballistol 75% water and scrubbing it back n forth two times i sent it out the front and swabbed another ballistol impregnated patch for the two back n forth. folled this with two clean dry patchs and the bore is shiney n clean...oil patch being very tight came out with not a mark on it grunge wise...what a peach...i think i have a shooter in this new to me shiloh.

cases cleaned and ready for more fun...cant wait for spring now for some distance trials to see how it does. shooting wise it is very easy to shoot and im looking forward to the load it likes.

side point is the 2f goex shot the cleanest ive ever shot in a black powder. im gonna shoot this 100 grain load with adding 5 grains at a time to discover where the dirty fouling comes to bear. i cant wait to try some kik to see how it goes.

so far this 45-120 is a sweety and im very proud to own it at this time.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Congrats Ted.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

thanks don. its a real treat and been a long time coming. shoots like a dream compared to the hiwall. time will tell if we get along...but so far its GREAT!!

Boolit Master

I really like the 45/120 and never had the accuracy problems that some say plague that round. Also I have heard a lot of other negatives from other folks telling me how expensive the brass is, etc but so what? The 45/120 is a wonderful round that stands out from the crowd and who cares if something else might give nearly the same performance with less powder and cheaper components, in my case it's about greed not need and I love that round!

Now you got me wishing I still had mine. I guess I could ream out my 45/90, I even have a 45/120 reamer and some brass stored in my collection somewhere!

gunlaker...thanks for the encouragment...it is a fun and well put together rifle and yes...BRRRRRRRR.

old red...the 'stands out' part is very true...you haul out these cigar size loads and start feeding em in the rifle and folks around look like your from another planet. i like the feel and look of these long cases and i very much enjoy feeding the powder n lead into them. the whole process is fun and i thing i need to gather the hand-held loader from lyman and do the reloads that way someday. id like to try casting around a campfire also.

just ordered some paper patching equipment yesterday so that will be another endeaver to try to get planted in my mind...been reading about it for awhile now so just as well dive in with both feet.

i dont read a whole bunch about others using the 120 cartridge. either they are shy or dont get along with this hungry cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on the new Shiloh ! I have a Shiloh #3 in 45-120 and love it to death. I ordered mine with the idea that I wanted a big bad hunting rifle and thats what I got. I have shot some very nice groups on paper and always enjoy the crowd that gathers at the local gun range. This same rifle has been responsible for introducing two friends into blackpowder rifles and both those individuals have standing offers to buy my Shiloh if I ever should tire of it. I know the 45-120's get a bad rap... but I have had a blast with mine.

cool...i thought there would be some positive folks out there with the 120's.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats, sounds like lots of big dirty fun to me. You've already cleared the brass expense hurdle so that's no biggie. Pretty excited about KIK powder for my 45-90, hope you get to try some in your 45-120 soon.

I hope you weren't teasing us about the pics.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

these are some photos that i got from the former owner so ill post them as im not all that fond of my phone pictures. so here is my new baby and im very thrilled and also see what the big deal is about the SHILOH'S now.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sweet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.