Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about an H&R Handi-Rifle in .327 Fed. Mag?

Boolit Master

How about an H&R Handi-Rifle in .327 Fed. Mag?

This would be a VERY efficient single-shot rifle and absolutely WONDERFUL for hunting deer. (An 18" barrel is all that's needed for 100-grain bullets and a 16" barrel is even MORE efficient for the 115-grain GDHP loads!)

It outperforms the .32-20 by a decent margin and exhibits better accuracy than the older cartridge ever could. (Look it up on Ballistics By The Inch.com..) The .327 ed. Mag is more versatile, shooting the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long , .32 H&R Mag and the .327 Fed. Mag. The fact that it is easier to load than the .32 WCF ever was (no variations in case diameter with which to be concerned.)

While the .32-20 is "okay" the consistency of the .327 Fed. Mag. is MUCH better!

The King has been superseded! LONG LIVE THE NEW KING!

Boolit Buddy

H&R HandiRifle

Got to www.go2gbo.com (Greybeard Outdoors Forum) and scroll down to the H&R rifle section. This is the best place on the net for discussions of the H&R handi rifles. The 327 Federal chambering has been discussed in detail and it is generally thought that there are 2 chances (slim and none) of H&R bringing out this chambering.

However all is not lost as there will be a handi rifle available in 300 Blackout which should fulfill your needs.

Post your question there and you should get good input.

Bill

I have thought about building one by sleeving an existing barrel. But I have a Marlin 62 chambered for 30 Carbine, and it pretty much does the same thing so I think I'll leave it to somebody else to build.

Boolit Master

Gunfan, I love my 32-20 and 327fed firearms. However, the 327 can not match the 32-20 when using reloads. But carbide dies are available for the 327, saving lots of time while reloading. Suggest that you go to this site and read about 32-20 loads. It is enlightening to say the least.
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have thought about building one by sleeving an existing barrel. But I have a Marlin 62 chambered for 30 Carbine, and it pretty much does the same thing so I think I'll leave it to somebody else to build.
    Nobade, I once had the chance to buy a Marlin 62 in 30 carbine, I had the dollars but was looking for something in the long heavy barrel bolt gun variety at the time.
    I have kicked my but for many years for not buying that rifle. In 30 carbine and lead boolits it should be the ticket for small edible game...... 308w

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEX BILL View Post
    Got to www.go2gbo.com (Greybeard Outdoors Forum) and scroll down to the H&R rifle section. This is the best place on the net for discussions of the H&R handi rifles. The 327 Federal chambering has been discussed in detail and it is generally thought that there are 2 chances (slim and none) of H&R bringing out this chambering.

However all is not lost as there will be a handi rifle available in 300 Blackout which should fulfill your needs.

Post your question there and you should get good input.

Bill
    ...that depends on how you define "fulfilling {our} needs".

I give away 90% of the .223 Rem and 5.56 Nato brass I find. I have minimal use for the cartridge. And...

I have 1,600 cases for .327 Federal. I have 750 cases for .32 H&R Mag. I have 150-300 for .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, each. And, of course, there's a handful of .32 Auto*.
    I currently enjoy feeding my Blackhawk and GP100 a healthy, varied diet of those cartridges. (Yes, I own TWO .327s!)
    Adding a .300 Blackout Handi Rifle would be unnecessary.
    Adding a .327 Federal Handi Rifle would augment my current gear, and be much more fun.

...Not to mention, I could make better use of the Accurate Molds 32-150B bullet.
    You also never know what the bore size would be on the Blackout. H&R seems to like over-spec barrels.

(*It has issues in the double action firearms, but .32 Auto usually functions fine in most of the .327 Blackhawks. I size mine with my .327 dies, so it's essentially a ".32 S&W Short". Hey, the commonly misused term actually makes sense here. )

I may just have my local 'smith / machinist build a barrel for me.
    The small parts are cheap, and easily sourced from H&R/Marlin/Remington. And the barrel lug is very simple. Any confident machinist could machine one quite quickly. He owes me a favor, anyway....

Boolit Master
    I don't know why Remington/Marlin/H&R/NEF doesn't put out a Classic limited run every year like Remington used to do with their Model 700s.

Probably because they are overwhelmed trying to put out serviceable standard catalog items in each of those divisions.

However, some calibers that come to mind: .327, .256 Winchester Magnum, 5.7x28mm, .357 Maximum, .32-40, .250 Savage, etc., etc.

Boolit Master
    According to Wikepedia:

The .327 Federal provides performance similar to the high velocity rifle loadings of the old .32-20 Winchester, though in much shorter barrel. Similar to the +P cartridges of today, the rifle loadings of these old cartridges were loaded to higher pressures than standard; they were discontinued because they could destroy .32-20 revolvers if fired in them. The .32-20, while long considered obsolete, has lived on in the sport of handgun metallic silhouette shooting, with handloaded rounds from single shot pistols like the Thompson Center Arms Contender far exceeding standard ballistics, and with the growing popularity of Cowboy action shooting, .32-20 lever action rifles are again being made. If chambered in a suitably modified .32-20 rifle, the .327 Federal should provide a significant boost over the .32-20.[10][14]

Another close comparison is the .30 Carbine, which has been offered in Ruger's single action Blackhawk revolver line since 1968.[15] The .30 Carbine was essentially the same ballistically as the .32 Winchester Self Loading, which was itself basically a rimless .32-20. The .327 Federal works at even higher pressure than the .30 Carbine (45,000 vs. 40,000 psi).[11][14] The long, 7½ inch (19 cm) barrel of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk, with suitable loads for a handgun, offers performance levels with similar bullet weights in excess of the factory loaded .327 Federal, along with excellent accuracy. Those who favor the .30 Carbine in a revolver do so due to the excellent accuracy, flat trajectory, and low recoil, all of which the .327 Federal also provides.[16] Both custom gunsmiths working with Ruger small frame single action Single Six and commercial maker Freedom Arms began offering conversions to convert .32 H&R revolvers to .327 Federal by early 2008. Test results from the long barreled guns showed even higher velocities than the .30 Carbine, along with excellent accuracy.[17] It is quite possible the .327 Federal will be offered in a lever action carbine, though no specific models have been publicly announced."

I didn't write this.

Scott

Boolit Buddy
    I love the 327 have 3 pistols and about to have
    marlin 94 32h&r mag rechambered to 327

Quote Originally Posted by 308w View Post
    Nobade, I once had the chance to buy a Marlin 62 in 30 carbine, I had the dollars but was looking for something in the long heavy barrel bolt gun variety at the time.
    I have kicked my but for many years for not buying that rifle. In 30 carbine and lead boolits it should be the ticket for small edible game...... 308w
    You're right about that. And with my newly hollow pointed #311410 cast from 20:1 and paper patched, then loaded over all the Lil' Gun that will fit in the case it's good for small and larger non edible game too. It makes for quite a powerful little rifle.

Boolit Master
    Couldn't you just get a. 327 mag chamber adapter for a 30/30?

Boolit Buddy

Don't know if you have a TC or not, MGM is chambering barrels in 327 mag. I have the BH revolver, thinking about a 20 TC barrel.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    Couldn't you just get a. 327 mag chamber adapter for a 30/30?
    It's not the same. Plus... you have to manually extract the .327 case from the adapter. That's much more of a pain in the butt, than it sounds.
    I also wouldn't like firing .312" projectiles in a 45,000 psi cartridge, with a compromised chamber and a .308" barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    I for one, would love to see a yearly "classic" NEF rifle. How about a 25-20,256win (since they would have .257" barrels), then a 32-20, a 327 (would buy that one), and a 357Max (keep the throat reasonable) and a 38-40!!

Would love a 20" barreled 300 Blackout too!!

Boolit Master

+1 on a 38-40 in a classic carbine. I have a classic carbine in 45 Colt and love it. I have a Vaquero in 38-40/40 S&W and love it. I either need a Vaquero in 45 Colt or a Classic Carbine in 38-40. Naw, I want both! Frank

You could send an NEF barrel off to Jess and have it bored and chambered to .327 Federal. I am not sure what their .22 or .22mag barrels are made of but for cast even a fairly soft barrel would be fine. The Hornet barrel should clean up for .32 also.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    You could send an NEF barrel off to Jess and have it bored and chambered to .327 Federal. I am not sure what their .22 or .22mag barrels are made of but for cast even a fairly soft barrel would be fine. The Hornet barrel should clean up for .32 also.
    I don't see that he offers anything smaller than .338".

IF Browning/Winchester would offer the 1885 Low Wall in more chamberings, I think it would be ideal. While it isn't a switch barrel, its a real rifle action and capable of handling the pressure.

In Remembrance
    I don't understand NEF. They should be able to offer fully interchangeable barrels in a variety of calibers/gages.
    I work in manufacturing, it can be done.
    Come on NEF, kick it into high gear. Get out of the box.

R.G. Now there's a comment that I've heard before. There probly wouldn't be a T/C corp. if H&R had always had interchangeable barrels. There probly would still be an H&R corp separate from Remchester if H&R barrels were made with deeper grooves, quality control and sane twists.

Got any H&R barrels that don't shoot or that you don't like? Cut them off in front of the straight section with the locking lug, bore out the stub and thread. Then sit around and go crazy forever trying to find a good .306/.312 barrel with 16 or 18 twist to rebarrel with. Green Mtn. has a 1 in 22 twist barrel.

As for reboring/rifling, you might get Bob Hoyt to open a hornet or other barrel up to .32 for you. If you can get in touch with him that is.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I have an older H&R .22 Hornet that was rebored to .32 H&R Magnum when that first came out. Reboring costs far more than a new barrel would cost.

Personally I think .327 is a little too light for deer hunting. If I were going the rebore route I would use a bigger case that would offer more power but still be loaded down for small game hunting. .30-357 Magnum or .30-357 Maximum would be a better choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast