Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 357 mag load seated to rim in 357 max brass

Boolit Buddy

357 mag load seated to rim in 357 max brass

Just curious. If i wanted to use load data for 357 mag, but use 357 maximum brass
    and rifle, would it be useful (and safe) to seat the bullet all the way in the brass
    (to duplicate Magnum seating depth)?

Boolit Master
    The problem is that you get more pressure by seating the bullet deeper. My question is why not use .357 Magnum brass and bullets. I would think the brass would be cheaper and the bullets are the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious like I said. I have lots of Maxi Brass and no one local has mag brass.

Boolit Grand Master

If you seated the bullet to the same depth as you would have in a 357 mag. then you would have identical pressures. I have downloaded maxi's to 357 mag specs using the same loads with no problems.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

With the issue of Bullet jump, why would you not want to seat to the throat? My rechambered handi does fair w/38 spl, OK with 357 and great with max dimensioned. It should be much easier to develop a load with 357 Max brass to the velocity you want.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Done it loading 38S&W in 38 special cases to use as plinking loads.
    BD

Boolit Master

You may get some case swelling after seating the bullet that deep in a max cse but if it will chamber it will work. also seating the bullet that deep may size down the cast bullet to a smaller dia ? because of the inside taper of the case.. another problem is bullet crimping ! give it a try and see what you get .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    With the issue of Bullet jump, why would you not want to seat to the throat? My rechambered handi does fair w/38 spl, OK with 357 and great with max dimensioned. It should be much easier to develop a load with 357 Max brass to the velocity you want.
    Factory 38 long colt with a hollow base gives 3" groups at that 50 yards.
    Handload 357 Max with 180 Jacketed give 1" groups. I don't think the jump has much
    to do with it in this gun.

I have lots of 158 grain, hard cast, bevel base with no check boolits. In the Max I have tried trail boss, Unique, 2400 and getting 8" groups at 50 yards. Do you have data that would work well for that boolit in the Max?

There is lots more data for 357 mag and
    that weight of cast to try. That's why I was wondering if I seat it deep I would get
    close to the pressures listed and get a proper seal on the bullet.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been shooting a 358430 and the 358627 in my Handi-Rifle. I am generally using 296 and getting 1 1/4" groups @ 50 with the 215 gr boolit. I assume that you are neither sooting nor leading. Those powders should run the gamit from slow fpss to fast fps. I also am guessing that there are no issues with this bullet and the 38 or 357 revolver. At this point you sond ready to try anything reasonable and this would be the next step. Let us know how it works. What gun is it?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some 357 mag nickle brass. Interested in trading for Max brass

Boolit Master
    case wall thickness may be an issue when deep seating, as most cases have an internal taper. you should be using a normal seating profile, and if you are not getting good grouping, then you have a bullet neck tension, powder, or primer issue. mag primers and unique or blue dot would be good in a maximum case, with adequate loading density. pressure and velocity should be uniform so accuracy should be 2 MOA potential if your shooting skill is up to the challenge.