RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of RCBS is this?

Banned

what kind of RCBS is this?

i just got this today at work(work at a gun store) a guy had it, his step father passed away and he got this, and he wanted to sell it, so i gave him 150 bucks for it, this thing weighs a TON!!!! seriously like 40-50 lbs, it came with that and a 100 rounds of 308 match ammo and tons of accs, like the redding scale, did i ger burned?

Link23
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 012512232035_01.jpg   012512232100_01.jpg   012512232117.jpg  

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I could be wrong. But the A5 press is/was the largest standard press they made untill the eclusive 50 BMG press came along. The RC 3or 4 is going new over $130. RCIIs are going for $50 at yd sales. I think you'll do ok .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Maybe, maybe not. Is the match ammo factory? If yes, then you did very well. If it's reloads, then maybe not. I don't trust other's reloads..especially a perfect stranger. I'd have to pull and repowder all of those. The press is a mid 90s RCBS progressive. Not bad, nothing special. Worth maybe $70 top if it works. The scale is primative but good quality. I wouldn't have gone over $100 based on what I see..but if there's more....then you did well. In spite of the A5 on the side, this is not one of the Big RCBS presses.
    Last edited by omgb; 01-26-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typos
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

uh........want your money back?

SlimTim

Banned
    well it came with.....308 dies and 30 06 dies 243 dies 22 hornet dies, the powder measure, a mec 600 410 conversion and yes the 308 was factory superpreformance ammo.

Link23

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Is the match ammo factory? If yes, then you did very well. If it's reloads, then maybe not. I don't trust other's reloads..especially a perfect stranger. I'd have to pull and repowder all of those. The press is a mid 90s RCBS progressive. Not bad, nothing special. Worth maybe $70 top if it works. The scale is primative but good quality. I wouldn't have gone over $100 based on what I see..but if there's more....then you did well. In spite of the A5 on the side, this is not one of the Big RCBS presses.

...."Primative powder scale"??? I know quite afew people using "Primative" powder scales like this Redding and some even more "Primative" than this one. I believe you did fine for the amount of "stuff" included in the agreed price. It`s kinda hard to find a lot to complain about with a RCBS product and especially their lifetime follow up service.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

No, you didn't get burned.

BTW; I still use a Redding "primitive" powder scale just like that one. I use it because it is accurate and works all the time. It is more accurate than electronic scales.

Larry Gibson

That 'primitive' scale matches mine! I use a new fandangle electronic scale to set my charge - then use another primitive tool called a trickler to finish out the rifle load on my primitive Redding balance beam scale. All rifle ammo is loaded that way.

If you think you got burned - box it up and send it to me - I will give you the 150 plus shipping!

You have an outstanding press there that will out last you and probably your kid's too!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

In looking closely at the picture, you have a rotating shell plate on the ram, correct??
    Does the shell plate have 4 or 5 locations for brass?

Mike

Talking

Now that you listed the whole lot I can say for certain that you did OK, actually very well.

A few guys obviously took some umbridge with my use of primative in relation to the powder scale. That wasn't a slight. I use a "primative" Ohaus 1010 scale myself. I do so because it works..all of the time, every time no matter how warm or cold the shop, drafty or dead calm, it works. So, please don't misunderstand..my point was one of dollar value. A basic Redding scale is not a high dollar scale on the used market. It's an excellent scale, but it doesn't carry a high dollar second hand price like the electronic powder dribbling G-wiz scales do.

Your press is a very good one. Do yourself a favor though and get the op manual from RCBS. If you have any worn or bent parts, make a list using the downloadable PDF schematic and ask RCBS to send them to you. They'll do it free of charge.

Also, go to Midway or Brownells and order some scale check weights. That way you can verify the accuracy of your scale. It is used, subjected to who knows what and as a result, may have been thrown out of kilter. Check weights will help you assure its accuracy. Finally, get two or three, new reloading manuals and read up on what you want to do. I say two or three because not all manuals agree on what constitutes a hot load.

You've got some good equipment that should provide years of service.

FWIW, that factory match grade ammo made your purchase price right there. Each die set adds another $20 value minimum so that's what, another $80 value? The press could be anywhere from a low of $60 to a high of $100 depending on the market in your area. So if we use just the low numbers here's how it works out...Match ammo $125, dies $80, press, $60, scale $40, powder measure $50, Mec conversion $20 total $375+/-. So, You did very well indeed.
    Last edited by omgb; 01-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    this is what you have

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=140006

and this is how it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJDKl7mbiM

hopes it helps

John J

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    You just made a life time investment and if the Obama/ Shumer/Bernanke crowd keep running those printing presses wide open , with inflation you will soon have more that a $150 in just the value of the raw steel that is used to make that press.

Banned
    ive been reloading for going on 6 years now, but this is my first RCBS stuff, i dont like the dies at all i would rather have LEE dies, for some reason every RCBS die i have used scratches my case, and it has 4 slots in the bottom ram...skeettx

Link23

You could do like I did with the Pacific .45 ACP dies I got. Lap them with 600 grit wet/dry that was wrapped around a 1/4" doll rod and coated with gun oil until the dies stop scratching your cases. Problem solved!
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Boolit Master
    I have one of those presses and very much like it. I did change the powder measure drive system out to the Hornady style which works just fine with the RCBS Uniflow.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Man
    I will give you $160.00 and pay shiping.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    You made a very good deal, congrats. I have a similar scale and use it exclusively. The press is a major score.

Boolit Master
    If you have an extra 9mm shellplate you want to sell, let me know.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banned
    its kindof a bummer that its only a 4 stage press vs a 5, because im going to have to crimp my bullets separate now...
    Link23

Nice looking press I'd say you got your moneys worth for sure even if they forgot one hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast