WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bore lites

bore lites

some one on here is/was making drop in bore lites for muzzleloadering rifles. the kind you light and slide down the bore. any one know who I'm talking about??? thanks. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Bub
    I don't know who your talking about but I have built one.
    I had an old flash light on the bench that I didn't use. I took the bulb out of it and soldered two old phone wires to it, they are small in diameter. Then did some math and found out I needed a 7 ohm resistor to use the bulb with a 9 volt battery. Drop it down the bore and very bright, you do have to contend with the wires though. It's cheap way to get a good look.
    David

Boolit Buddy
    gandydancer ,
    You might just check out the fishing dept. at the local sporting goods store or Walmart. They carry a small LED light that is used to put into a lighted bobber for night fishing ... it is about 1/8 inc h dia. and will fit any bore. If you only use it for a bore light these things will last a long time and cost you only about $3 - $4 or so. I have had one that has lasted for a couple of years.

hope this helps ... pete

Smile

gandydancer, Stores which sell lots of different fishing equipment may also carry LED bobber or float lights, which can also be dropped down your bbl. They're ~1" long x ~1/8" wide and come with a red/orange or yellow/green LED. You simply push down on the lamp to turn it on and pull up to turn it off. Btw, if you find them, check to see if the lamp lights before leaving the store as the ones I purchased were dead (as are all of the ones still on the rack at my local Dick's). If you can't find them, try these folks:

Flintlocks, Inc.
    6929 Beech Tree Rd.
    Ninevah, IN 46164
    Tel.: 317-933-3441

Btw, I purchased mine at Dixon's several years ago ($7.00), but it met an untimely end (Don't ask....!).

I guess Pete & I had the same idea, but his fingers were faster than mine!

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Maven

Btw, I purchased mine at Dixon's several years ago ($7.00), but it met an untimely end (Don't ask....!).

I guess Pete & I had the same idea, but his fingers were faster than mine![/QUOTE]

Maven ,
    It never hurts to add a bit of re-enforcement to a good idea. Those little lights do work very well.

Take care ... Pete

Boolit Master

You can try this too, in a pinch. Shove a crumpled white cotton patch down the bore. (make sure your worm is handy) Then just shine a light down the bore. The patch will reflect enough light to see pretty well.

Boolit Master

The bore mirror works pretty good.

Boolit Master

I bought one from these guys, works great and price was right.
    http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/searchr...light&n=366240
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Mold
    O'Reilly's Auto Parts has a nice little light for about $10 that will drop right down even a .32 cal. bore, works great.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0084&ppt=N0639

Perma-Banned
    +1 on the o'reilly light. bright little sucker and lasts a long time too.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the idea. I bought a $5 light from the tackle store and found clean shiny bores on two of my ML's that wouldn't shoot for sht. Now I know i just have to put in some more time and find the projectile that will work.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellows, this whole thread has been great info.I alway's kinda wondered
    what my bore looked like but with a breach plug I just said Oh Well.I never thought
    of all the cool ideas you guys came up with.

Thanks Fly

Boolit Grand Master

I also have heard of dropping a nickle plated piece of brass down the bore so it would reflect light.
    Aim small, miss small!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

bore light

I have the one that TomADC posted and it is short with a green light. The light from the automotive store will work but not as well.
    The reason that I say this is that a lot of MZ have the area around the breech face that is in bad shape. The light from the automotive store is much longer and would not illuminate this area as well as the one made for MZ which is of brass and short. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    Wally world carries from time to time a cheap ($7-$10) mini multi tool, like a scaled down leatherman, with an LED light tht folds into one handle. Powered by three button "hearing aid" type batteries, and small in diameter, you can file off the pivot pin, drive it through and remove the light from the tool. Small enough to fit in a .40 cal, maybe a .36 (don't have one yet to try it in), only about 1.25" long and plenty bright. The rest of the tool is still useable as long as a cheap chinese tool can be.

Boolit Master
    Since I also shoot BPCRs I bought one of the borescopes from Harbor Freight about a year ago. It works really great and has a 45 degree mirror so you can see the walls inside to check for rust spots or possible lead spots.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BE Wild Willy View Post
    O'Reilly's Auto Parts has a nice little light for about $10 that will drop right down even a .32 cal. bore, works great.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0084&ppt=N0639
    I've been to my O'Reilly store within the last 2 months and they told me they no longer carry that item.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Crappie- hunter,
    I have one of those style bore lights and they do work very well, but something that they dont tell you is that the diameter of the light will only fit in a .50 cal. or larger bore. As I have several muzzle loading rilfles in calibers smaller than .50 the bobber light works out as something that will work for all of them.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

Boolit Master
    I have a LED Stylus Streamlight which at largest diameter is 3/8"x6 1/2" long. (pocket clip is removable) It is very bright, not shown in pic, but comes with a open rubber protector on light end. They run about 14-16 bucks