RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: New favorite 03 load

Boolit Master

New favorite 03 load

After reading the many success stories here of the 311299 boolit in the Garand and Spfd 03, I had to order one. My first casts dropped dropped right at .311 and 199.5 gr (+/- a couple tenths). For my initial RIA 03 test loads, I sized to .310 and loaded 10 with 29 gr of 3031 and 10 with 19gr of 2400.
    Even though it's high 30's today, I wanted to see what I was working with so I ran out to the range. This picture is the first 5 rounds I shot (the 3031 loads)......I'm thinking my rifle likes it. I don't have a picture of the 2400 loads but they did ok too but not like this. Oh, this was at 50 yards and when it warms up I'll spend more time playing and go out to 100 yds. Oh, one more thing that really made a difference for this group was I was using the Lyman Hawkeye - it really works. Front sight was clear for the first time in a few years. Life is good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0323.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    please tell me what a Lyman Hawkeye is................PM me if you would...........

Boolit Master

It's a device that attaches to your shooting glasses. It worked for me....

Check out this link:
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/hawkeye.php

Boolit Buddy
    I gonna have to try one of them things! Need all the help I can get anymore.

T-o-m

Boolit Master

WOW! Thanks for both tips (load and Hawkeye)!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Cast Hunter

My 03A3 loves 3031 as well. As a matter of fact, 3031 is my go-to .30 cal powder for hunting loads with cast.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Decent, but I'd want to see it at 100... let us know how it works out.

Boolit Master

I finally remembered while I was in the reloading supply room to look at my notes on the 1925 International Match load data. (It was the "most accurate" 30-06 ammo ever produced by the govt., averaging something like a 1.5-2.0" group at 300m from a machine test.) It was loaded with the (then) experimental 9-degree boattail 173gr bullet and 37.6grs of DuPont 15 1/2 powder (the predecessor to IMR 3031). I plan on trying this load with cast bullets in my '03 Springfields one of these days.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

That Hawkeye gizmo look like the Merit, but for half the price.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.