Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Dies - Coming Along

Boolit Bub

Edge Dies - Coming Along

Hello everyone, i posted a couple of months ago about starting a swage die business. I wanted to let everyone know that im well on my way to start production. I have built a set of .308 dies for a corbin H-Press, a .458 paper patch die, once again for the H-Press, and a set of .224 dies for fired .22 LR brass for a standard 7/8-14 press. They have been coming together quite well, and i have done some test shooting with the bullets. I have a website that is online, but not findable in google or anything yet. I made the site myself, so it may seem fairly crude, and i have no listed many products on there, but ill give you guys a link down at the bottom so you can check it out, and give me some constructive criticism. Ill post a few pics if i can figure out how to do so.

I built, and heat treaded the reamers for the dies myself, which has really been a learning process. I can now make any shaped reamer, all designed in autocad. In the future, if you would like a set of dies, all you will need to do is send me a DXF (autocad) file and i will build you a set of dies to build the exact bullet you want.

As you can see, there are some blemishes (like gnurling, and i used threading on the ejection pins instead of rod, but the finished product is very nice in my opinion. I will be selling dies within a few weeks. Thanks for looking! PS, BT Sniper, how do you get those damn grurls so nice? Seems like im using an extreme amout of pressure, and my tool just wont cut!!! Haha, thanks

Here is the set of .308 dies.

Here is the 458 die, i didnt have a bullet to take a pic of... but ill upload one tomorrow when i swage it.

Edit - Here is a 458 bullet, came out to .44325" for paper patching

Here is a picture of the group shot with the .308 bullets, the group was shot at 150 yards out of my buddy's accurized ar-15. It was a seven shot group, Used 44 gr. of varget, and the bullets came in at 141 grains (LIGHT!) Post must be too long, group picture will be in next post

WEBSITE - http://www.edgedies.com
    Last edited by coltac; 01-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I'll be anxiously watching to see how things develop, because I need to get off my butt and buy some dies!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

coltac

nice work so far. On the knurling, what type of tool are you using? The scissor type might work better for you. Also make sure that you are using cutting oil when knurling also.. And a third idea is to leave a small area that is slightly larger in diameter to knurl. And last make sure you have good knurling wheels in the tool, they need to be sharp also.

Would you make and sell a reamer?

Boolit Bub
    Yes I'll build you a reamer, I'm having some brittleness issues with the reamers that's I'm building so if you would rather heat treat it be my guest. If you send me the dimensions or even better a dxf file and a description, I'll build you one for say... 40 bucks. PayPal is edgedies@gmail.com if you wanna get the ball rolling.

Boolit Bub
    The type of tool I'm using is 2 rollers on a pivoting lathe tool. They aren't "sharp feeling". It was borrowed from an old machinest friend

Boolit Buddy
    Morning coltac, I happened to notice from your pictures that the knurl looks like it tappered off so one thing I would look at is are the wheels square with the work? From my little experance with knurling tools is it does take a lot of pressure to get a good knurl. I think diameter has someting to do with it also as sometimes I can get a great looking knurl and other times, on a different diameter, it looks like it keeps running over itself at a slightly different point. Maybe I'm just lucky like that. Other than that the work looks great. I look forward to hearing more about your work.
    Regards,
    AggieEE

Boolit Master

Another thing is to make sure your tool is running on center and perpendicular as best you can.

I have similar problems as you have shown and have been advised that knurling is second only to parting as to where people have issues learning and doing.

Are you making full fluted reamer or using d style reamers? I am having fits trying to get a good d-reamer made to finish cavities in a set of dies for 401 caliber pistol dies.

Boolit Master
    So the .224 dies do not come with a squirt die? Looks like from the site they would need a modified ram as well. Nive group with the .308 by the way.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Man
    What press types will you be building these dies for? I do not have a "H" press. Will there be sets for a standard press, "Mighty Mite" "BSSP" or the the Corbin "S" press?

Boolit Master
    Looks good coltac!

Some suggestions for the product pictures. Maybe you could add a picture of the actual product instead of the same picture for all die sets, plus more description of all dies included with the set.

Boolit Bub
    I will add better pictures for sure. I just don't have them

Boolit Buddy
    Coltac, looked at your site and am interested in the .224 from .22lr brass dies. Would these work in an RCBS o-type press? Need an all in one package to take me from brass to bullet.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
    Coltac, looked at your site and am interested in the .224 from .22lr brass dies. Would these work in an RCBS o-type press? Need an all in one package to take me from brass to bullet.
    Mike
    Me too, please post price.

Boolit Master

coltac,

I will try get my penny's saved and get a drawing worked up. Then I will get with you on a reamer.

Are they multi flute reamers or are you making spoon/D-reamer?

Boolit Bub

reamer drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    coltac,

I will try get my penny's saved and get a drawing worked up. Then I will get with you on a reamer.

Are they multi flute reamers or are you making spoon/D-reamer?
    Hey, i have to go to work in texas in a few days, and ill be gone for a couple of weeks. just get me a drawing asap, and ill send you a reamer. You can pay me when you feel like you can, im not too worried about it. The reamers are multifluted. Im not going to heat treat it, but ill send you a reamer that you, or maybe a "knowledgeable friend" can harden and temper... let me know today, and ill get it shipped in the AM

Boolit Bub

22 LR Brass Dies

Quote Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
    Mike
    Yah, i can make them to work in a 7/8x14 press, no problem. If you would like to buy some for a RCBS style press, ill work up a product on my website to purchase. Let me know! Thanks for your interest.

Boolit Master

coltac,

will get you some info via pm. Sorry to hijack the thread. I can try my hand at heat treating if you tell what steel you are using. I have been working with A-2 and O-2 types.

Pm will be coming.

in edit: Oops should have said 0-1 and 0-2, based on last order notes. I have been trying to make d-reamers, and need more practice but in the meantime I would like to be making something to shoot also!
    Last edited by scrapcan; 01-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I currently have .375 A-2 Tool Steel, .250 O-1 Tool Steel, and some .875 O-1 Tool Steel. Pretty straight forward to heat treat, im just out of Stainless Steel Foil, so if i do it, they will not be very pretty!

Boolit Master

coltac,

yep as you say not bad to do once you know what material you are using. Just let me know what you make it out of and I will be glad to try my hand at the heat treat.

Thanks for the correspondence and help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast