Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lyman 311299 pet loads

Lyman 311299 pet loads

Just ordered a 311299 for my 308win had midway send it to Erik to have it made into a hp. Does any one here have any pet loads for this one. Does it like to be thrown hard or slow. I know there are a lot of variables. I intend on 50/50 air cooled. I be shooting black bear and deer and a lot of target shooting. Any experience and opinions would be great.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I bought the five cavity from NOE...I got M1As to feed. I dip lubed and gas checked about 100 of them tonight. Hopefully load some tomorrow and try them since it will be 40* plus and sunny...wierd winter weather here in Saint Looie.

There is an extensive thread in group buy results titled "311 312 316 299." Snafu12 did some posts, on the last page, using an imported M14 and H335 (I bought an 8 pounder of it for my 30/30 when components dried up awhile back.) There is also a sticky on "cast in the M1A" in the cb loads/military rifles section that also might be of interest.

I picked this mould because it looked like it would keep the boolit base in the neck, rather than below it, and still be able to function in the SCOUT RIFLES...that appears to be wrong comparing the boolits to the neck of an empty casing. BUT I'll do some tinkering tomorrow and see what works.

I'm starting with water cooled wheel weights since I don't want to lead up the gas system on my rifles. I didn't shoot the M1A near as much as I wanted in the past since I was using J-words, but the sticky convinced me to buy a mould. Gas checks ain't cheap, but compared to J-words....

Life was a lot simpler when my rifles were lever guns in 357, 44, and 45/70, but I got a 30/30 and learned some things....with the help of the forum members. The 308/7.62 NATO with cast will be another learning experience. There's plenty of help available so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited by EDK; 01-30-2012 at 11:53 PM.

EDK I have a ruger compact that I really like that's what i want this bullet for. I want to get away from j bullets I think this one will fit the bill. I hope 2400 will work I have alot of it and use it in my 44s, rifle and pistol it would be nice to have one powder for every thing but I know that's not likely.

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest you keep the HP to 1/3 the length of the nose or less so expansion petals don't shear, break off or shatter oof too soon. Your chosen alloy is excellent and I use that alloy for most of my CF hunting bullets. I do add 2% tin to the WWs before adding the lead though. Suggest sizing the 311299s at .311 or .310 at the smallest, Use a good lube like Javelina and pre seat the GCs before crimp/siizng them as a square base will be essential to maintaining good accuraccy as you push the bullet to higher velocity. As you go above 2000 fps with that accuracy with that alloy you will find it best to clean the barrel every 7 - 10 shots to maintain the best accuracy. I hunt deer/elk/pigs with a clean barrel and figure if I've not got the game in that many shots it's time to go home and regroup anyways.

Use 7-10 shots in each load test string to get a really valid statistical measurement of accuracy and velocity. Test at 100 yards when developing the loads. Testing at shorter range can give deceptive accuracy results. Once the load(s) is selected test at 200 yards for final selection. Also a light coat of LLA on the bullet nose (I apply it with my fingers after loading the bullet) may help maintain accuracy as you get over 2000 fps.

Accuracy; if you've a rilfe with 10" twist then you should get useable hunting accuracy (2-3 moa at 200 yards) in the 2000 - 2100 fps range, perhaps a tudge more if you do everything right. With a 12" twist barrel you should be able to push that to around 2300 fps.

Powders; I suggest you work with the slower burning powders Like AA4350, H4831SC, RL19 and RL22. You'll want as slow a powder as possible that gives consistent ignition (around 50 fps extreeme fps variation for the 7 - 10 shot test string) and provides 85 - 100% loading density. A filler should not be necessary with such.

Cases should be fire formed and NS'd. A magnum level primer or one made for ball powders (WLR and CCI 34) may be wanted with the slower powders in cold weather (below 40*).

I do the above when using 311299/314299s for hunting use in .30 and .31 cal rifles. I HP them with a Forster 1/8" HP tool to 3/16" deep after loading for hunting. Excellent terminal results with such.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I shoot these out of my Garand for the military rifle silhouette match. 34 grains of 4895 in the -06 is a mild shooting round, but enough to reliably cycle the action and drop the rams at 200 yards. I think you'll love it in your 308...

19gr. of sr4759 is a favorite of many for a 1:10 twist .308. (no filler)

Thanks for all the info I will try some of the powders suggested once I get this mold back from Erik, if I can get good accuracy out to 200 yards I will never have to buy a j bullet for it again (ever)!

Boolit Master
    if you like, check my post I just put on this thread.
    Its all the info of the loads I tested today.
    good luck!
    It seems to shoot very well for me!