RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223 and 308 brass projects?

Quote Originally Posted by filthygovmploye View Post
    6 years later... oh man. great suggestions all around folks... love dreaming... think if we repealed buncha legislation it could be cheaper to get our dreams realized??

357AR is a thing, but i dont wanna neck turn...
    Get starline 223 basic brass, put a reamer pilot in and trim to length. I use a forster trimmer with the reamer installed and the drill adaptor. I've also turned the necks, but the last 1000 or so cases I've modified including the Starline 223 basic brass was just reamed/trimmed after annealing.

I make 45 ACP shotshells out of 308 family brass and .380 shotshells out of .223.

For .473" case heads there's always rimless 444 Marlin, 44x1.8", 44x1.6". 45 Raptor/45 Velociraptor, 44AMP and others for straight walled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357AR44x1.644x1.8.JPG   IMG_0702.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Filthy -

Howdy !

Shortened .308 brass + .35"calibre = .357AutoMag

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    ......380 shotshells out of .223.
    Can you get enough shot in that to be useful?

I can get over 320 #12 shot in a .380 shotshell. Has always killed venomous snakes on the first shot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=380+shot

Boolit Master

.308 1 1/2" or .358 1 1/2"

Boolit Master

The 17 Fireball could be formed from cut down 223, yes it is fun. 221 Fireball is a given, but would not want to use mil-spec brass as the internal dimensions would be way off. 300 Blackout is an option, but I have a bunch formed from mil-spec brass and my uppers chamber is to tight for them and 1 in 15 or 20 will not extract. Depending upon how large the split is... one could make 222 Rem. with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimitiveBeasty View Post
    Yes, the .300 AAC Blackout is a cut down/necked up .223 casing. This fellow posted this video on how to do it, for those who are interested.

I think someone on this forum did the same on a .223 case up to 8mm, and that's about as high as that goes. You could of course do anything smaller than that, and I bet a 17 caliber cartridge based on that shortened .223 case would be a pretty sweet little thing.

On the .308, you could chop it off at the shoulder and still have enough brass left to make a .308x1.5" case.

You asked about .357-ish bullets, so I see no reason you couldn't make a cartridge that's basically a .308x1.5 necked up to .35, or a shortened .358 Winchester, however you want to think of it. I believe the .22 and 6mm BR cartridges by Remington are also based on a shortened .308 case, although they aren't so close to the caliber you asked about.

Boolit Master

I have made quite a few 17 fireball from 223 brass. I have sized/formed to 221 fireball, turned necks to 0.012", then sized to 17 fireball with a resulting 0.014" neck. Same specs as my factory cases I've measured. Not quite sure of the internal capacity differences, but i dont shoot max loads in it either. I use brass from same lot and manufacturer to avoid differing capacities.

Its a R700 26" varmint barrel SPS, and a tack driver. Its a lot if fun on small varmints, shot a few coyotes too. I prefer the 25 grain hornady hollowpoints on yotes as opposed to 20 and 25 vmax. The HP seem to penetrate a little better.

Well, ive rambled on beyond the scope of the OPs question, but 17 fireball for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I can get over 320 #12 shot in a .380 shotshell. Has always killed venomous snakes on the first shot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=380+shot
    I usually walk around snakes but it would entertain me if I could trick somebody in to believing that I am a good enough shot that I could hit a throw clay pigeon with my LCP. Thanks, SD

Super Moderator Emeritus
    The 30x223 1st know as the 30Apache is My latest one to build both on a bolt and an AR so far the little testing I have been able to do seems to justify the cartridge. Groups are better than blackout at 200 yards and easy to form brass from 223.

I usually walk around snakes but it would entertain me if I could trick somebody in to believing that I am a good enough shot that I could hit a throw clay pigeon with my LCP. Thanks, SD

I leave the non venomous snakes alone to eat all the stuff they can and try and keep things mowed off so the others don’t like hanging around but I eliminate danger when it’s around.

No pistol “shotshell” rounds are good for much distance unless you get a Contender “hotshot”or .410 with the choke.

Might be convincing as an up close quick draw “hip shot” on a few balloons round at 10 yards or so though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sell the neck split .223 brass to a scrap yard...use money to buy more. It will take a very long time to recoup the cost of "salvaging" brass by using it up in some custom made caliber.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Sell the neck split .223 brass to a scrap yard...use money to buy more. It will take a very long time to recoup the cost of "salvaging" brass by using it up in some custom made caliber.
    What fun is that?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    On pistol shot shells - A venomous snake isn't much danger at 40 yards, they work quite well at distances where the snake IS close enough to actually be a danger. And if you are walking on rocky ground (like the Eastern Washington scablands) the shot is a lot less likely to hurt you during a ricochet situation than a regular round would.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12