One moments loss of concentration can result in an expensive mistake.

Recently, I was handloading some .38 Special loads using Winchester cases, Federal small pistol primers, 3.8 grains of Bullseye powder and hand cast LEE 358-160-RFN boolits.

The powder being dispensed from a LYMAN DPS3 electronic powder system. These units keep a count of the charges it dispenses.

Normally, I measure the charge via one of several methods (inc. the LYMAN) and other tipping the powder into the primed case place it into a cartridge tray. I continue filling cases and trays until all the primed cases are done.
Then with a small torch I check for possible double or missed charges before commencing the seating of the boolits.

A very good method/procedure to follow; RIGHT!

However, this time I only had 120 primed cases to load but could only find one cartridge tray (50). Now, 3.8 grains/Bullseye is the maximum listed charge weight for this weight of boolit, so any charge which the LYMAN Powder dispenser showed as exceeding this would be put back into the measure.

I commenced the charging of the cases using my normal procedure but decided part way in the the tray capacity would slow things down. SO, why not seat the boolits as I go along.

So the procedure now became; dispense powder, tip it into case, seat bolit and repeat same. Nothing could go wrong, Right?

At the end of the session the LYMAN'S readout said 25 + 99 (as it counts the charges dispensed, it reachs 99 the next one becomes 01. The display uses two digits for the counter readout).

So, according to the machine, I reloaded 124 cartridges. In the first 99, I had one error reading and I retrurned that charge to the measure. In the second 25 I had one charge which weighed 3.9 grains, this was also reurned to the measure.

This left two charges un-accounted for. The next day saw me 'pulling down' all of the loads to check for double charges. I found what appeared to be one overcharged cartridge in that one hundred and twenty.

Then I set to and reloaded the cases again using my normal procedures.

If there is to be a moral to this story it has to be:- If a procedure works and gives you peace of mind, then stick to it.

I have since scoured the house and found all but one of my cartridge trays. The missing ones were being used for storage of cases going through the reloading steps.

I have learnt and I hope my story saves someone else from having to 'pull down' a number of cartridge or worse.