Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder choice for 22-250 and J-words

Boolit Grand Master

Powder choice for 22-250 and J-words

Getting set up to do some testing of my Kimber Varmint in 22-250. It has a 1:14 twist.

Bullets are 40 and 55gr Nosler BT and 52gr Amax.

I've loaded up 50 of the 40gr BT with some CFE233 at 40/40.5/41/41.5/42 gr to ladder test.

Remaining powders available are H380(1/2#), Varget (3#), Benchmark (1#), 8208 XBR (2#) and CFE223(3#).

Which above powders have the best reputation for accuracy in this cartridge? Which combination would you use next (powder and J-word). I'll eventually test most of these but if there is a known good combination and it works great, I'm
    not wanting to reinvent the wheel.

Boolit Master
    Varget with any of the j-words you mentioned, I've used 40s, 52s, and 55s. Haven't used the other powders. I have used WC844 and IMR4064 with good results with 50g.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Super Moderator

I use H380 and IMR4895 in 22-250.

Boolit Master

Around 30 years ago when I had several .220 Swifts and .22-250's the Best powder at that time in my experience was 4064 with 50-55 gr. bullets. Today I'm sure there are several new powders that will equal or better 4064, but the old powder is still a good one.

Ken

Boolit Master

Ive had excellent results with H414 in my 22x250 with the Nosler 55 gr BT bullets. Varget also workes pretty well.

Boolit Bub
    I am playing with IMR 8208XBR right now with 52 and 55 grain Sierra bullets. Previously IMR 4064 was quite pleasing with similar bullets. I have high hopes for the 8208 and have read good things about it.

H380 was a unnamed powder till Bruce Hogdon found that a load of 38.0 gr gave him one hole groups with 50 bullets...(.22-250).....
    The powder was then named H380!!!
    Works for me!!

Boolit Buddy

Varget worked great with the 40gr Noslers. I haven't tried the heavier bullets lately. The light ones shot flat and accurate enough there was no need to look elsewhere. (Plus I like them in the Fireball)

I liked H380 with 52 BTHP bullets but that was a while ago.

I would think in the Kimber, finding an accurate load shouldn't be too tricky.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Man

I've had good results with CFE223 with 55 and 60 grain j-words. Sierra Blitzkings in the 55 and Hornady Vmax in the 60s. Have heard that Varget is also good, but haven't tried it. My rifle has a 1 in 12" twist and doesn't like the 40 gr. bullets, but shoots the heavier stuff really well.

38.5 Grains of H380 with Hornady 55gr v-max, everyone likes it except the P-Dogs.

For up to 55grs another vote for H414. Was having a heck of a time with a TCR 1-14 twist. Friend gave me an article from "Pet Loads" and darn if they weren't right.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Grand Master

Did 4064, 4895, H414, Win 760, H380 and now have found Varget to be better than any of the others and much more consistent lot to lot. I also prefer 55 gr bullets.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago I was offered four of the eight pound cans of IMR 4064 for $200 bucks. Best deal I ever had on powder. With three Ruger #1s in 22-250, 220 Swift and a 243 to feed this is the only powder I will ever need for these rifles. I'm about halfway into the third can and will never shoot it up in my lifetime as I only shoot these rifles at coyotes. Maybe the grandsons will have as much fun as I have with them. The youngest really likes to go and make pow pow and blow up coke cans and such with a 22 rimfire and will no doubt want something bigger as he grows.LOL Wait til he sees what they can do on a praire dog!

Boolit Master
    Osteo -

Howdy !

I owned and/or loaded for.... a whole bunch of .22-250s; including full custom rifles.

I'm a big fan of "high load density ".
    While IMR4064 is an often mentioned powder for .22-250, I had better results w/ WW760 ( H414 same stuff ); and Magnum primers... when shooting 55-60gr
    "J"-words. IMR4350 did also work superbly w/ 60s.

I shot a .224" caliber wildcat w/ case capacity between that of . 22-250 & .22-250AI. Again, WW760 performed 4064 w/ that wildcat, and shooting 55s-60s.

I was able to get a bit more vel shooting VV160, than I got w/ WW760... but accuracy obtained w/ VV160 was not as good.
    I'll also add... that I did not encounter powder temp sensitivity issues during my may years of WW760 and H414 use ( my loads, my guns ).

These days, powders like IMR4007 and VV155 ( 24N64 ) should also be good choices.

There's more to life, than " Varget " .

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by kevmc View Post
    H380 was a unnamed powder till Bruce Hogdon found that a load of 38.0 gr gave him one hole groups with 50 bullets...(.22-250).....
    Works for me!!
    About 10-12 years ago when I got my first 22-250 I read this and thought that I would give it a try. I tried different tips and powders but ended up settling pretty early on with H380 at 38gr. with a 55 blitz king. This clocked at about 3500fps from a 26" tube. I have targets from 300 yards that are 1.25" or less. If it groups bigger than that it is the loose nut behind the stock.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by kevmc View Post
    Works for me!!
    Agreed! Ya can't fix something that's not broken to begin with

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Getting set up to do some testing of my Kimber Varmint in 22-250. It has a 1:14 twist.

Bullets are 40 and 55gr Nosler BT and 52gr Amax.

I've loaded up 50 of the 40gr BT with some CFE233 at 40/40.5/41/41.5/42 gr to ladder test.

Remaining powders available are H380(1/2#), Varget (3#), Benchmark (1#), 8208 XBR (2#) and CFE223(3#).

Which above powders have the best reputation for accuracy in this cartridge? Which combination would you use next (powder and J-word). I'll eventually test most of these but if there is a known good combination and it works great, I'm
    not wanting to reinvent the wheel.
    I used H414 with 55s long ago in my Sako 22-250 (one hole type groups), but made it an AI years ago & 8 twist.

Varget, CFE, 8208 & RL15 all work good for heavier bullets for me but havn't shoot 55s in years.

Varget is my go to powder with J-words in the .22-250
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    if i was you starting over again with my 22 250 searching for accuracy
    step 1. stick each of three mentioned projectiles over 38gr h380 to select bullet by making it the variable
    step 2. common charge of each powder with best projectile
    step 3. ladder test charge of best powder/bullet combo
    step 4. test in, at, and .010 ,.020 off the lands
    step 5. sort cases by wieght and neck runout, ruduce bullet runout or atleast select best from loaded batch
    step 6. if excellent groups still evade you buy a bench gun
    Last edited by bmortell; 12-13-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    if i was you starting over again with my 22 250 searching for accuracy
    step 1. stick each of three mentioned projectiles over 38gr h380 to select bullet by making it the variable
    step 2. common charge of each powder with best projectile
    step 3. ladder test charge of best powder/bullet combo
    step 4. test in, at, and .010 ,.020 off the lands
    step 5. sort cases by wieght and neck runout, ruduce bullet runout or atleast select best from loaded batch
    step 6. if excellent groups still evade you buy a bench gun
    That for the most part is the plan. I had a surplus of CFE223 and Varget for the most part all from the same lot. I'd be more inclined to squeeze too accuracy out of those UNTIL I can find a few more pounds of the others listed. No sense in getting all hot and bothered if I can't find the powder again for another 6 months.

I was hoping to make it out to the range today but no such luck. Honeydos and a 2 month old have put a halt to those plans. Maybe tomorrow if the weather holds out. It would have been nice today. 50* minimal to no wind. High clouds to keep the glare down.

Ill post some results when I get a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast