Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 45ACP and 200gr LSWC with Bullseye?

Boolit Bub

45ACP and 200gr LSWC with Bullseye?

A lot of the recommended loads are very light for target work, between 3.5 to 4.0, yet Lyman 49th lists 4.9 to start, up to 6.0 (running 900 fps) which was their recommended load for accuracy.

Has anyone ever worked up this hot using 200 gr LSWC bullets? I'm looking for accuracy as well as a fun load to duplicate the thump of 230 ball.

Boolit Mold
    I'm running 4.6gr. BE with good accuracy and it's easy on the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

My standard load for 195 - 205 gr SWCs in the 45 ACP is 5 gr Bullseye. It makes "major" in IPSC, etc. and is very accurate. Also a very good general purpose load as the velocity runs 855 - 880 fps from 5" barrels.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Master

As a Bullseye Pistol Shooter most people think that the 200 gn. bullet is most accurate at 4.0 to 4.2 gn. of Bullseye powder. At this velocity you can use quite soft lead to cast with.
    You could go with a heavier load to duplicate the recoil of the 230 gn. bullet. The potential problems would be leading with the faster velocity. The velocity of ball ammo with the 230 gn. Round nose bullet is between 825 and 850 FPS. You would need to be near max. load with the 200 gn bullet to get the recoil that you want.

Boolit Bub
    My 200 gr swc load is 5 gr of Bullseye. Anything under 4.8 gr won't cycle in my pistol, Also the 5 gr load is my most accurate.
    Last edited by oldreloader; 01-23-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I use 3.9gr of Bullseye and a14# recoil spring with a slide mounted red dot. Soft smooth recoil 100% function.

3.5 gr Bullseye has been a standard target load since the 1950's, even though it is below start loads from the powder company.

Just be careful of a double load as it takes up very little room in the case.

My very first self cast bullet was a 200 gr LSWC H&G #68 clone. Very first load for it was 5.0 grn Bullseye behind it. My gun loves it. I would consider it a mid-range load.

I personally like 4.5 to 4.7gr of Bullseye behind a 200gr LSWC. It does everything I want it to do plus a nice recoil.

Boolit Master
    4gr of bullseye works great in my 1911.

Boolit Master

After trying BE in probley 10 different 45 ACP with Saecos #068 200 gr swc any load from 3.5 to 5.0 of BE in .5 gr incruments is accurate from them all . of corse you may have to change recoil spring to get correct pistol functiong.
    The loads i use the most are 3.5 BE in a wad gun for up to 25 yards & 4.0 to 4.5 gr BE in all the others 45 ACPs.