Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss RCBS 44 molds.

Boolit Master

I just got a NIB RCBS GC .44 keith mold in a trade. I will let it go or $50 if you want it. I already have one. It was my first .44 mold and is the absolute most accurate .44 bullet I have.
    At one with the gun.

I use the RCBS 44-240 SWC GC in my Dan wesson with a 8" barrel. I use the Lyman 429-244 SWC GC when I switch the barrel to my 4" in the DW that has a muzzle break on it. It's easier to handle this heavier bullet (265gr. with my mix). They are both verry accurate.

Boolit Master
    Matt:

The Ballisti-Cast #1103 and Miha's copy are VERY faithful to the original H&G #503 but to me the RCBS 44-250-KT/SWC is a different design. I have the #1103, Miha's HP version, and a couple of the RCBS molds. All of them make very nice (accurate) bullets for my .44 Specials !

The Ballisti-Cast #1103 is an exact copy of the H&G #503

An old IDEAL 429421 just for reference:

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    I don't buy RCBS molds because they are only 2 cavity at the most. If they made 4 or 6 cavity molds, I'd be all over them.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll keep buying RCBS molds, they are some of the highest quality regular production molds you can buy and they have some exceptional bullet designs available.

On the other hand I agree completely about that pesky 2 cav thing. If RCBS would start making their bullet designs in 4 cav I would buy many of my RCBS molds all over again.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I just made a trade and I will be getting a 250KT and a 225SWC to add to my 245 SWC and 240 SWC. When they come in I will will to post a lineup picture of all four boolits.
    Last edited by happy7; 01-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Master

I've been using the 44-225-SWC (GC) in 44 Special with excellent results. I shoot it with the gas check in max or near max loads and bare assed and tumble lubed in milder loads. Shot to shot accuracy is simply superb. It was my first RCBS mold and since with one exception of a mold from Miha all my new mold purchases have and will continue to be from RCBS or Miha.

Boolit Bub
    This is my RCBS 44-245-KT. With WW it drops them at .432". I have some loaded up, but I haven't had a chance to see how they shoot.

Boolit Master

That is different looking with the narrow base band.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
    This is my RCBS 44-245-KT. With WW it drops them at .432". I have some loaded up, but I haven't had a chance to see how they shoot.

Boolit Master
    7X57:

Interesting that your 44-245-KT has a wide front band and a narrow base band while mine is just the opposite !
    RCBS molds had a lot of variation through the years !

Jerry

Boolit Bub
    GLL,

Yes, I was looking at this thread and snapped a picture of mine since it was so different from the one you pictured. I don't know how old it is, I bought it used, no box, a year or so ago.

Boolit Master

Does it show any evidence of having been milled down, possibly to repair damage to the top of the mold? That would explain the narrow base band. Is it lighter than you would expect it to be?

Boolit Master

I appreciate all the pictures Jerry. In fact I appreciate all the pictures you have posted over the years. I was particularly interested to see the various versions that RCBS has labeled K or KT. And the side by side comparison of the Keith interpretations of other mold makers is very useful. I do like the wide bands on the 250KT. I am going to give those a try in my guns. A side by side acuracy comparison is tempting but I suspect that any accuracy differences will be minimal, and then who is to say if one of the others would be be more accurate with a different powder or in a different gun.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a photo of my 44-245-KT just for comparison purposes. It is one of the most accurate 44 boolits in my inventory.
    Last edited by stubshaft; 10-06-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Here is more recent production of 44-250-K. Note the shorter first band.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    Does it show any evidence of having been milled down, possibly to repair damage to the top of the mold? That would explain the narrow base band. Is it lighter than you would expect it to be?
    No, the mold blocks haven't been modified, and the bullets drop at 242-243gr.

Boolit Buddy
    My 245 kt looks like stubshaft. It has a wide driving and middle band and a thinner base band but not quite as thin as 7x57.

It is the most accurate mold I have for 44. It shoots one hole groups with my scoped SRH at 50 with 19 of Wc820 and a mag primer.

Boolit Master
    My wish would be for RCBS to make the 44-250-K (#82080) with three equally wide bands and reduce the size of the crimp groove ! Offer it as a 4-cavity ! They would have an ideal designed .44 in my book !

Jerry

200 fn

happy7,
    I have the 200 FN. Bullets weigh 214 grs. in ww alloy. Diameter is .428" and works very well in my 44-40 Marlin which has a .428" groove diameter.

It will make groups in the 1" range at 50 yards if I do my part.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Banned

Ive got a bunch of 44 swc molds and accross the board the 240swcgc is the best shooting 44 bullet of any weight that ive used in my guns. Ive yet to find a gun that didnt shoot it well. It even shoots well in my marlin 44p that is an overall pour shooter. Ive allways said that if a 44 wont shoot that bullet well it just isnt going to shoot period.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast