WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Why "Boolits" over "Bullets"?

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the original crowd has moved on (one way or another) so the original purpose was/has been forgotten. When we started on Shooters, a fair amount of typing was involved in explaining what type of projectile was being talked about. It got old fast typing jacketed or cast in front of bullet. Plus, often the adjective wasn't used so we continually had to ask "jacketed or cast". As the originator of the term, I plead "guilty". I'm no more happy with it than I was originally. On the other hand, none of us could come up with a different term that was so readily recognizable. Hence boolit...that's the long and short of it. No secret hand shakes, no membership, no approval needed to use it. It simply and quickly identifies the projectile as "cast lead". Period....as an aside "general consensus" bugs the hell out of me. FWIW....Pilgrim.

Boolit Buddy
    I still call all bullets..heads. That seems to drive a lot of the guys nuts here. That's what I was taught to call them 35 years ago by guys who knew amd forgot more than I will ever know about shooting, competing and reloading.

Boolit Master
    That is the beauty of the English language.
    If we had to be anal (technically correct) all the time we would be using Latin.
    Look at all the stupid (I think they are, the Yorks(( Young dorks)) that think them up will argue otherwise) words they add to the dictionary every year. LOL

P.S. I use boolits (when in Rome).

Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd.
    Lol! so very true.....
    do unto others................

"I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it."

Minus the vast experience this sums my views up.

It's fine that other enjoy the 'insiderness.'

I don't see it used as exclusively as the above definitions would have us think though. I have seen it used in reference to jacketed bullets too.

Honestly, it irritates me a little, but I choke that down since I am so grateful for the good info here.
    Part of what bugs me is the implication of dogmatic coke / pepsi wars. I don't have or want a vendetta against jacketed bullets. They both have their places and I'll gladly use both. Besides, this place has got me on the leading edge of that new trend of what I call "plastic jacketed bullets" ( see this thead http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-paint/page22)
    Which I find to be a useful term for changing the minds of people who reject lead bullets out of hand.(A gateway projectile for the glockers?)

So I would feel like a hypocrite if I were to use boolets or boolits, but I will gladly read the information posted by those who do.

I think the best part about the term though is the ability to filter search terms. It is very nice to be able to get to useful information without the search engines pushing up unrelated content that is paying for placement.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

somehow it helps to link all of this and more together . . .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    If someone asks what weight powder to use with a certain weight boolit, We know it's cast and no more clarification would be needed.
    I don't know about any other newbies, but I like the term "boolit" as it does signify a difference between cast and jacketed (which by the way, will never see the inside of my rifles bore).

Boolit Master

I learned to cast in the mid 1970s with my dads equipment. Before I started casting again as an adult, I briefly bought factory cast bullets. When I first started lurking here I thought the 'boolits' label was a cute way of saying 'I made that' vs factory cast.

This website has been instrumental in teaching me to be a better caster and to explore different techniques and concepts. I now powder coat, punch plain base and regular gas checks, and have even made my own 'loob.' I also learned that White label lube is great stuff and so inexpensive that making lube is hardly practical for me.

For those who scoff at the term 'Boolits' I can only say 'to each his own' and not worry about it much. Boolits are kind of an inside joke for the members here, a sort of silly fraternity/sorority for us casters. A group of great folks with whom I'm proud to associate freely.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Wink

As we go through life, we see many things that designate organizations, groups, religions, military insignias and uniform designs, etc…

I think the word “boolit” is just one of those indicators…

I know when I post on other sites concerning “cast bullet”, I use the “boolit” spelling to designate I am a member, and proud to be a member, of this site…

It can sort of be “the secret handshake” to allow other members/posters of this site to recognize a fellow member of the CAST BOOLITS website when posting on other sites…
    (Do other organizations have “the secret handshake”???!!!)

BCB

Boolit Master
    OTOH. The few intentional miss-spelled words that are used on this site don't bother me what-so-ever. If someones spelling may not be correct or the members subject matter or material may wane from his intended meaning doesn't bother me either. FWIW. What bother's me are those who purposely critique and perhaps berate another member with their petty comments. I find that insupportable and have no tolerance for. IMNSHO.
    Then there is one small other matter that tweaks me a little. >Common Web Acronyms.< They are a whole new language curve for this fellow. No doubt about it!! they can be bothersome. IMHO.

O/M

Boolit Master

OM - What does IMNSHO mean?

Boolit Grand Master

In My Not So Humble Opinion. I guess you can still teach this old dog a new trick or two. ROFLOL

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Get on a domain where any firearms related words or websites are blocked, you may gain a whole new liking for the word boolits.
    Now this is a very valid point. I find the term childish so I don't use it. The same goes for certain terms in other hobbies I'm involved in. But I could not care less if someone else wants to use them.

Boolit Master
    Quote "So I would feel like a hypocrite if I were to use boolets or boolits, but I will gladly read the information posted by those who do."

I thought "Boolet" was the cutie pie that is currently trying to hide behind the "welcome----" box at the top of the page on my computer!
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Webster should become aware of this so they can include it in the next edition.

Slim
    I truly hope this never happens. If it does you will see filters exclude and/or block our site. Signs of the times I suppose. <sigh>
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

It's just like the dialect thing. If you exclude it, you will be a real loser. If you learn to enjoy it, you'll open another whole world of knowledge.
    Of course some already know everything worth learning.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    How about a little dollop of historical type threadliness to bump it up for the edification of new and old alike,,,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...seen-elsewhere
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Once upon a time and/or this ain't no schitt, depending upon which service you are most familiar with......

The term booooo-lits was defined first by my wife, Pat, back in the early 70's when I transferred from jacketed projectiles to lead ones for ALL of my shooting, and about when I quit the BR circuit for real. The term was re-invented and applied by SHUZ in all his successive posts when this board was known as Shooters.com (circa 1995). The term grew like a California wildfire and it became sort of obscure over time who the first person was to use the term because EVERYONE was using it within a month or two. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 10-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    felix