Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why "Boolits" over "Bullets"?

Why "Boolits" over "Bullets"?

I have seen numerous people naysay this spelling with more than one discussion getting downright agitated. It was always clear to me that it referred specifically to lead bullets. But I am curious and would like to steer some of these other guys straight... why was "Boolits" chosen over "Bullets" since "Cast" the first word and already clear what it means?

Thanks!
    Mark

In Remebrance

Some place on this site there was a sticky explaining it. In short, someone starting using the term here way back when, back when seeing the word "jacketed" was see as profane, and it stuck. If someone doesn't like it and it really, really bothers them...tough! There are many terms used I find irritating (pill, head, spur, HARDCAST!!!) , I'm not starting WW3 over it.

It's cute. If you want to say "cast bullet" nobody will object.

However, "boolet" is peculiar to this forum, and serves as an unofficial keyword to identify information as originating here. If I'm doing an internet search and see it in a return, I'll usually click that link first.

If someone asks what weight powder to use with a certain weight boolit, We know it's cast and no more clarification would be needed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    It's cute. If you want to say "cast bullet" nobody will object.

However, "boolet" is peculiar to this forum, and serves as an unofficial keyword to identify information as originating here. If I'm doing an internet search and see it in a return, I'll usually click that link first.
    True and I have been beat up bad over boolit, it is hated by many, even Veral hates it.
    But we are a special group here! No other site has so many members that get along like we do. We can fight tooth and nail but without anger and we still stay friends. I am starting to think other sites hate the word because of how well we get along, they don't have that.

Boolit also gets around the censers that restrict access to "EVIL GUN SITES"
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

Back when I decided to start casting (not that long ago) I dialed up "bullet casting" on Google. One of the first things I saw was Cast Boolits. I said OK, a little humor. My kind of people. I was right. And about Veral - he has no sense of humor at all using Boolits. I emailed him when I was buying a mold and used boolits. "Don't know what that is - never heard of one". OK Veral. Nice mold though. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I'm a disliker, also. One thing that's never been explained satisfactorily to me is this: If "boolit" means "a cast bullet", then why is the website called Cast Boolits?

Does Cast Boolits then mean cast cast bullets?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Markbo, it can be both a pronoun, and an verb.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I just assumed it was a way of separating this site from all the other junk that may come up when using Google. Other than that, who cares.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Oh Boy now we'r gettin a english lesson to!

Boolit Master
    Personally don't like 'boolit', so I don't use it, but it does not bother me when someone else does. As far as Veral is concerned, I have his book---great book with lots of interesting information BUT as far as spelling goes---VERAL IS IN NO POSITION TO THROW ROCKS!!! Have a great day!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    I like it cause using it seems to piss a bunch of folks off. If I had been born about three decades later I might have been a punk rocker. I did go to a club one night in the late 70's when Merle Haggard opened for The Sex Pistols.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Boolit Master

Bullets = jacketed bullets
    Boolits = cast boolits

Easy enough.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

If anyone needs an English lesson, it would be you, rnbrink. You made no fewer than six errors in only nine words.

Boolit Master

Looks like Hukd on fonix workd fer hime!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Thanks for the lesson on the word. I had always assumed that it came about because it more closely matched the phonic spelling of how bullet was pronounced in the area of the country the site originator was from.

And I never wanted to ask because I thought it would lead to an arguement about the correct way to pronounce bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Bullets = jacketed bullets
    Boolits = cast boolits

Easy enough.
    Close.......

Bullets= any bullet NOT a cast bullet

Boolits= cast bullets

As a note I have always associated boolit to" home cast bullets" as opposed to commercial cast bullets

Banned
    Boolits means you reinvented the wheel. It's easier to convince someone who knows nothing rather than someone who has extensive experience.

Boolit Master
    On other gun sites, I use the word boolit without thinking. Several times I have either got corrected for my spelling, or, someone asks, what is boolit?

I have never had to answer, for another poster will chime in and explains it's the word the bullet casters use over on Cast Boolits, often with a link to here.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast