RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut police officer fights for answers after being told his life-sav

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Thumbs down Connecticut police officer fights for answers after being told his life-sav

Connecticut police officer fights for answers after being told his life-saving attempt not 'related' to work

I am Throughly Disgusted by this story, What is wrong with Politicians Today?

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

In Remembrance
    He apparently wasn't injured and has not gotten ill, I don't understand why this is even an issue or news.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    He apparently wasn't injured and has not gotten ill, I don't understand why this is even an issue or news.
    Because the city should pay for the baseline tests and the followup tests, which they apparently do not want to do.

By stating that the officer's actions were not part of his duties, the city is stating they will not pay for the precautionary testing.

What a bunch of (can't say here).
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Buddy
    Muddy,
    Politicians ain't people, they are much lower than that.

starmac,
    The officer appearently asked if he would be covered if he caught anything from the person he performed mouth to mouth on. My instructor in college told us we would be lucky if we ever gave anyone MtoM and did not get vomited on/at/into.
    The city's response was "Not your job, you ain't covered!" But I expect the lawyers used pretty words.

It still sucks big time.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

In Remembrance
    OK I now understand. He went to the doctor to see if he was going to get sick.

I had a friend that was a city leo involved in a chase, chasing a county leo. He wrecked the car and was injured, supposedly minor (a broken shoulder) The city terminated him the next morning while he was in the hospital, because he had left the city limits in pursuit.
    This turned out bad as he wound up with some infection in his shoulder, nearly died and it was a couple months before he came home from the hospital.
    The city settled out of court, and the only reason he ever worked after that was because he wanted to.

In Remebrance

I'm sorry, but the way I read that he was on duty when he performed the MTM. How can they possibly say it's not a cops job to try and save a life? What would have happened if he hadn't tried? The family probably would have sued the city because he didn't try! This is simply wrong.

As I've said before, I can not imagine why anyone would want to be a police officer these days.

In Remembrance
    X2 bret and it isn't just with leo's, how many people have been sued for trying to help someone.
    I just read another article where several people called 911 while watching aseveral people severely beat someone. It just isn't the same world I grew up in.

Banned
    It's all about liability & money. Honor seems to have gone out the window.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigslayer View Post
    It's all about liability & money. Honor seems to have gone out the window.
    This.

Boolit Buddy
    There is an important question that needs to be considered but the information is not noted in the article.

Was he dispatched to the call or did he go on his own? If he was dispatched, he should be covered for ANY action he took while on scene.

Moderator Emeritus

If the departments are going to make it this hard for honorable men to become police officers, what kind of men are they hoping to recruit for the job? Just something to think about.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    The way it works, is you go and get a 'baseline' test immediately after exposure to someone's body fluids, to establish that you do not have a serious, communicable disease (most serious communicable diseases will not show up for a time). Then, you get followup tests several weeks later, if you then have a communicable disease a good case can be made for it's having been acquired in the exchange of body fluids.

City doesn't want to assume the liability, just in case he did get something, so they are denying that his actions were in the line of duty.

Let's say he does contract something serious, say AIDS, just for instance, city would have to at some point grant a medical retirement.....something they don't want to do, because a good case could be made that he contracted it in the line of duty. They are already setting up a reason not to do so, just in case.

(A former LEO) seen it before....
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

But the city is also setting theirself up if he gets something somewhere else.

Nonfeasence is not preforming a duty you are trained to do. If he knew CPR, then he was duty bound to do it.

I went 36 years before I got there first without a bag valve mask. It wernt purdy.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by MtJerry View Post
    There is an important question that needs to be considered but the information is not noted in the article.

Was he dispatched to the call or did he go on his own? If he was dispatched, he should be covered for ANY action he took while on scene.
    What difference does that make? No offense but that the same type of BS reasoning that they're trying to use to deny his legit claim.

The man was either on duty or off duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

In Remembrance
    I don't know if on duty or off duty should be of any concern, by that line of thinking a police officer should just stand back and watch, if he isn't on duty.

In the case of the off duty atf officer that was just killed in the friendly fire incident. The moment he got involved to thwart the robbery he was considered on duty, as it should be.

In Remembrance
    Even though I was a lowly fed, I was told that I was NEVER "off-duty."

"Serve and Protect" must just be the car shop that paints the cop cars these days.
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Boolit Master

I agree with Trey45. What's next, Robo-cop?

Boolit Master
    I read that Connecticut or Massachusetts, all I need to see.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

This is yet another reason for me to want to move out of my home state of CT. I feel so bad for this officer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast