Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GP-100 lead issue.

Boolit Bub
    Shot about 50 rounds today with 4.6 grains of Universal, and am still getting some leading. But it is quite easy to clean up.

Based on the replies on this post, as well as other posts on this site, the hardness sounds like the main issue.

Based on my schedule right now, I won't be starting to cast for a while, but I did run across another thread that recommended Missouri Bullets, which have some softer bullets available.

The hardness of the bullets I am using now is listed as 16 BHN, while the Missouri Bullets are listed at 12 BHN. Would it be worth getting some from this company to try (I am assuming that 12 BHN would be the hardness range I would be looking for)? Have any of you guys tried their products?

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

Boolit Master
    i use a 50-50 mix of pure lead and ww, after 250 rounds i had some lead apprent in the barrel just after the force cone. i patched with kroil let it sit for 10 mins ( i usually let it sit all day if its bad) then brushed it 5 times with nylon and then ran a lewis lead remover 2 times and it was shiney and perfect, i bet it was just blast residue from the cylinder gap.

Boolit Master
    If you have to use store-bought boolits, a BHN of 12 is better than one of sixteen.

Don't have the BHN numbers handy, but I use alloys of 50/50 or 2:1 wheel weights: lead.
    Last edited by 462; 01-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by TCoggins View Post
    Shot about 50 rounds today with 4.6 grains of Universal, and am still getting some leading. But it is quite easy to clean up.

Based on the replies on this post, as well as other posts on this site, the hardness sounds like the main issue.

Based on my schedule right now, I won't be starting to cast for a while, but I did run across another thread that recommended Missouri Bullets, which have some softer bullets available.

The hardness of the bullets I am using now is listed as 16 BHN, while the Missouri Bullets are listed at 12 BHN. Would it be worth getting some from this company to try (I am assuming that 12 BHN would be the hardness range I would be looking for)? Have any of you guys tried their products?

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim
    Penn Bullets make Cowboy Action bullets that are softer. You might try them as well. I find their bullets to be very accurate and get almost zero leading if loaded properly. I have also found if I run a brass brush through the barrel with Ballistol (probably any cleaner of lube would work) immediately after shooting for the day while the barrel is still warm the lead comes right out. If I wait until later I need to use the bronze wool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12