Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Navy, not just a bunch of Deck Apes

Boolit Master

I was a radioman 2nd class (E-5) and received my A school radio training at Bainbridge, Maryland in 1964-65. During that time I was selected, along with many of my other classmates to march in President Johnson's inaugral prade. Later I served aboard the USS O'Bannon (at the time the most unmodernized destroyer in the US Navy. It was an old Fletcher Class destroyer with the single distinction of sinking a Japanese sub with Idaho baked potatoes. (I'll tell that story another time....)

From the O'Bannon I went to Vietnam to serve on Swift Boats (no Kerry jokes, please) 1967 to 1968. I finished up my tour on the USS Oriskany (now sunk off the Florida coast). Good memories, good friends and a great experience. Even without the sadness of losing friends in Vietnam I cherish the time the US Navy allowed me to be a member.
    Last edited by lbaize3; 01-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Hai!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Cast Bullets View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Allow me to attempt to clarify.

The terms Deck Ape, Anchor Clanker, Swab Jockey, Snipe, Airdale, Flyboy, Grunt, Ground Pounder, Jar Head, Leatherneck, Cannon Cocker, Skivvy Waver, Brass Pounder, Sparks, Sea Going Bellhop, and many more I either havent heard or simply missed are all names that we, as Veterans, call ourselves amongst ourselves. It is my feeling that we realize that these names may sound derogatory to many but we use them with the utmost respect for each other.

For my money, once you sign your name, raise your right hand and put on that uniform, whatever color/style it is, you are #1 with me.

Andy, OBIII and all other Veterans, and I know I've missed many, I use those terms not as an insult but with a deep admiration and respect for you and what you did and are most likely, willing to do again. I know I would "pack up my kit bag and smile" if the call came in.

Jerry
    US Navy Veteran

I'm not a veteran, but you can rest assured that I 1) DO NOT use these terms to describe veterans and in-service folks, and 2) I respect and admire all pf our veterans and servicemen and -women. GREATLY.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Perma-Banned

Jerry,
    I agree with your posts 110%. Those of us who have had the privilege of serving our Country hold all US Military Servicemen and Veterans in the highest esteem. While we use quaint nicknames for each other, we all know it's all in fun.

Semper Fi!

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

And any one of the service branch members would stand back to back with any of the others in a fight to this day no mater how much we pick on each other. steve k. Army
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

Yup kinda like brothers pounding the heck out of each other. If an outsider steps in hes going to have to whip both of em.

Boolit Master

lbaize3, lost our next door neighbor in 66 I think in the fire they had, but I have landed and taken off from her many many times, we were the most popular plane to come aboard, the C2 COD or mail plane, when we flew the C1's smaller we'd say a VIP a day keeps the mail away.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Banned

Atsugi

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    Wasn't she referred to as Building 6? We were at NAS Atsugi for 3 years 69-71 lived in Yokohama a couple of those years, life was good with yen at 360 to the dollar.
    LOL had a jap in an Isuzu truck run over me out in town one night. I was with HC3 in 1977 The pig, White Plains then for the IO cruise on the Midway.

Boolit Master

Well I fit the ground pounder term
    Combat Engineer Instructor
    Yes we did make things go bang and sometimes even moved a bailey bridge
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Tom-ADC,

I was on the Oriskany while it was in dry dock at Hunter's Point, San Francisco. Lots of folks aboard talked about the fire and the loss of friends... I doubt anyone that went through that will ever forget. I did not stay aboard all that much. When they figured out that I was just marking time until the end of my tour, they sent me to Armed Forces Police at Treasure Island. I spent more time at that temporary duty and patrolling San Francisco than I did aboard the Oriskany. I am sorry about the loss of your neighbor. They were good men, one and all...

Leonard
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12