Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBH Forcing Cone Erosion

Boolit Master
    Either feeler gauges or pad the barrel with leather in a vise and check with dial indicator, which how I most often do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    post 12 .fecmech is that a crack around the forcing cone ? looks like its half- way around the barrel
    forcing cone .. check it before shooting it anymore ..
    No, that's the rough, exposed edge of the thread in the receiver where the barrel screws through. It looks worse than it is due to the accumulation of blast crud.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    Another powder to try might be IMR 4227.
    Indeed. The 4227 powders are single base, and burn cooler as a result. The result is less erosion. A side benefit is less fouling and/or leading w/ cast bullets.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    You might consider a heavier bullet, too.

Another powder to try might be IMR 4227.
    4227's scare me in the .44.
    I tried them at first when I shot IHMSA because everyone was using it. I found it super accurate if shot slow and gun kept cold. Not so when the gun got hot from shooting or the sun. Pressures and velocity would climb fast.
    It was wonderful in the .357 max but never goes in my .44's again.
    296 never changed even when the gun was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    4227's scare me in the .44.
    I tried them at first when I shot IHMSA because everyone was using it. I found it super accurate if shot slow and gun kept cold. Not so when the gun got hot from shooting or the sun. Pressures and velocity would climb fast.
    It was wonderful in the .357 max but never goes in my .44's again.
    296 never changed even when the gun was hot.
    From what I understand 4227 is cold stable, but don't all powders increase pressure when the temp rises. I mean take any gun loaded with safe pressure @60* and shoot it in the desert. Big difference.

Me ? I don't shoot competition .....well I used to shoot 50BMG and took second place in a national match even though I worked up the load the day before shooting. I like 4227. In fact I love it. They say if your gun won't shoot with 4227 it won't shoot. I can drive nails with my FA 454 with it. No, I don't overheat my barrel, so don't know if the POI changes, but I don't care. What matters is where the first and second shots go. That's all...

Would recutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees clean it up?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    From what I understand 4227 is cold stable, but don't all powders increase pressure when the temp rises. I mean take any gun loaded with safe pressure @60* and shoot it in the desert. Big difference.

Me ? I don't shoot competition .....well I used to shoot 50BMG and took second place in a national match even though I worked up the load the day before shooting. I like 4227. In fact I love it. They say if your gun won't shoot with 4227 it won't shoot. I can drive nails with my FA 454 with it. No, I don't overheat my barrel, so don't know if the POI changes, but I don't care. What matters is where the first and second shots go. That's all...
    I think it is caliber specific, works great in some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12