Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: new 9mm loader question

Boolit Mold

new 9mm loader question

Howdy all,

Im starting a new adventure loading 9mm luger. I read all I could find and am still not certin on witch powder to start with, I have unique and bullsey,Im leaning towards unigue. This is for a buddy of mine thats new to reloading not to mention cast boolits, hes listened to me enough that he wants to start and i will be mentering him through. I have extensive experience loading 45 colt, 38 spl, and 45 acp, but this is a much higher preasure cartrige and i would like a little insite as to what you all think about the two powders I listed.

Thanks in advance for you comments.

Boolit Master
    Unique is what I use for cast boolets in 9mm with 125 grainers.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I've used Bullseye but would recommend Unique. Bullseye can be tricky and the 9mm is temperamental too.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Moderator Emeritus

If you search here there are more requests for help w 9mm than almost any other cartridge. I hope that you are not setting him up for failure. Read all that you can, slug the bore and do not start out to replace what the gun does with jacketed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Unique is a good bet. I switched to Autocomp by Winchester and like it. Good groups, good metering and cleaner. The great thing I like about 9mm is you can't double charge it...the cases are all over the place also!!! Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Unique also for my 9mm cast loads. I was using AA#7 when I was loading jacketed. I've shot some cast over the chrono with #7, but I don't have any of it on this computer. I left all my chrono data on my old computer when I upgraded and haven't hooked it back up to pull it off.

Boolit Master
    WSF, the best thing on Unique with 9mm is you will not overcharge the case. With Bullseye watch out for overcharge.

WSF is simply great in most 9's.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I sure don't want to set him up for failure. I have clays also, didn't mention it because it didn't see any application in my research on this so far. Have used win 231 also but have switched to bullseye when it became nonexistent in my neck of the woods, no need to go back in my opinion.makes great 38 loads. So I thing that I will follow my gut and start with unique. Any suggestions on starting load with a 120 gr boolit in the 20 bin hardness range, that's what he picked up at local toy store.

Thanks again, this is a great wealth of knowledge we have here, I have learned a great deal reading the posts so far.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm loading 4.0gr of Unique with my cast rounds that weigh out at around 127gr. I load as long as I can get away with because it doesn't take much to get pressure spikes in 9mm. If I remember right, my loads are running around 1050 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Been using 4 gr of Bullseye for many, many years under any cast 115-125 gr bullet in any reloadable case. I've not found it a bit "tricky" but have found it a reliable load in a multitudse of 9mm handguns and numerous subguns. I suggest the Lee 356-120-TC sized .358 and lubed with any good 50/50 alox/beeswax lube or BAC. As a matter of fact I just loaded 500 of them on my Dillon SDB.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

After slugging bore use bullets 1 to 2 thousands over bore size.
    TC nose profiles are usually more accurate than RN
    Med fast to med powders usually( WSF, Power Pistol , and HS6) give better accuracy than faster powders such as BE ,Tight group & 231 in the 9mm & 38 super
    Use the same brand of cases! not mixed brands .

Boolit Master
    4gr or less of bullseye works well as a target round in lots of rounds, 9mm, 40s&W and is awesome in 45ACP. If you want to load hotter I would pick a slower powders like WSF.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Been using 4 gr of Bullseye for many, many years under any cast 115-125 gr bullet in any reloadable case. I've not found it a bit "tricky" but have found it a reliable load in a multitudse of 9mm handguns and numerous subguns. I suggest the Lee 356-120-TC sized .358 and lubed with any good 50/50 alox/beeswax lube or BAC. As a matter of fact I just loaded 500 of them on my Dillon SDB.

Larry Gibson

Banned

unique