Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 721

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    John:
    Did you post a link to your own hard drive?
    Whatever it is it won't open for me.
    Uncle R.
    Yeah, I messed that one up. I should have tested it after posting. Should work now.
    Thanks for the heads up. Pretty good article on the Rem trigger.

Boolit Master

You talked me into it. It's not much to look at. The stock was shortened way too short, and the barrel channel and action channel were hogged out. I suppose it could be salvaged, but through the kindness of Flounderman I now have a much nicer old 721 stock to fit to it and refinish.

It may take me a while to get to it, but I'll try to remember to post the after photo when I'm done.

I sure wish it wasn't so expensive to have a gun blued. The bluing is pretty thin, but I can live with it. When I get it fitted in the stock, and the old Weaver scope on it, and get time to make it to the range; I look forward to seeing how it shoots.

Added: OK, I don't know what's wrong here, but I have added a photo twice to this post, but it won't show up. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.
    Last edited by fatelk; 02-04-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    You might consider doing the bluing yourself. Rust bluing takes time but does need that much in the way of equipment. A friend made a rusting box from scrap timber and lamp fitting into which he put an infra red lamp to keep the water in the tray warm enough to provide the moist air needed for nice coverage.

I am planning on building such a cabinet myself which a few alterations.

Boolit Master

I'll try this again.
    Last edited by fatelk; 03-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master

I wonder if they made 721's with different barrel lengths or contours?

I just spent a couple hours carefully fitting the new stock. It turned out great; carefully free floating without looking "hogged out". The old stock is definitely hogged out, not just the barrel channel, but the receiver channel as well. I haven't decided whether to hang on to it for some reason, or just chuck it in the fireplace.

I went over the new stock with some fine steel wool and mineral oil and it has that look of decades of honest wear, not abuse; matches the metal perfectly. I kind of like it, and may not even refinish it.

It's funny, I intended on putting a 700 stock on it, refinish and nice recoil pad, "modernizing" it. Now I think I like it as-is, steel butt plate and all.

Boolit Master

OK, all done. I know it's not much of a restoration, but I'm happy with it. I must have cut and sanded 1/4" of wood out of the front of the barrel channel, but it sure fits good now.
    Last edited by fatelk; 03-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    There was a posting on another site about a Rem 722. The new owner cleaned it up, and refinished and checkered the beat up stock with an oil finish. It is amazing what a little bit of good checkering does to dress up a rifle. Made a really handsome rifle. Got me kinda looking for a 722 to make a 250-3000 for a grandson.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

I've seen some amazingly nice hand checkering. I wish I had the skill to do that, but am afraid I would just mess it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Great gun. I have the BDL version in 30-06. I love hunting with it and it's accurate. They do sell a clip conversion for them through Cabelas. I don't have one but the guys I work with who own them have them and say they work good.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    OK, all done. I know it's not much of a restoration, but I'm happy with it. I must have cut and sanded 1/4" of wood out of the front of the barrel channel, but it sure fits good now.
    Nice, now tell us how it shoots

Boolit Master

It might take a couple more weeks, but I'll post when I get it out to the range. Life is just too busy right now. I remember a time when I had spare time, but that feels like long ago...

Boolit Grand Master

II had a 722 re blued and put into a 700 s/a stock with a 700 floor plate and it was just a dandy varmit rifle. The only hitch was inletting the barrel lump inot the 700 stock.

Boolit Mold
    Model 700's have come and gone. The Mod 721 is still in my armory. That is one 30-06 that will never be sold, and you will never find one for $200.00 or under ever again. I'd get another if I could.

Boolit Master
    Very nice article on Harry Selby's 721 30-06 in the latest "Rifleman". It'll make you want to take your "new" rifle to Africa.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Bub
    What can you get for $200.00 nowadays? Maybe a cheap .22 or .17hmr. You can almost get a Stevens 200 but not quite. If its not beat, and the worst thing about it is a hack job recoil pad then it is worth at least $350.00 to the right person.

Boolit Master
    Last rifle we bought was a 721 .30/06 with a 3-9 Bushnell and Weaver rings on it for $200 a couple years back, wood has zero scratches or dings, an old timer that was a friend of my fathers refinished the stock after his last hunting season and never got the chance to put a fresh ding in it. Dad used to have a 721 in .270 that he traded back to his father for a M70 270 sporter weight from early '43, then gave that to my twin brother our first hunting season, so he didn't have a rifle and even though he's not a big /06 fan he couldn't pass up the offer from his friend. Shoots about 2" at a 100, kicks like a mule but sure is a beautiful old rifle, just put a new leather sling on it to complete the classic look, i am one young guy that appreciates an American classic!!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Nice job, Fatelk. I was lucky enough to get one several years ago, in 30-06. Traded for it from the original owner. My total cost: $125.It was all original when I got it. I've since replaced the extractor with a new 700 riveted style, and refinished the stock. She loves 220gr GC over 13.4gr of SR7625. Glad to hear you still had a chance to get it.
    Oh, yeah. Mine was Mfg in '52. happy shootin!

Banned

I just looked at a very nice one in .30-06, still had the original metal butt plate, for an asking price of $450. I might have to put together some trade goods and go back to talk to them.

Boolit Master

I finally made it out to sit down with this rifle and a couple sandbags at a bench. The best I shot at 100 yards was a 4-shot 2" group. I was hoping for a little better than that, but my bench and sandbags weren't the best, and the ammo wasn't anything special.

Someday I'll make it to the gun club range with a better setup and better ammo, and see if I can get it to do a little better. I need to see if I can do something with the trigger too; it's a little stiff. For testing purposes I might even remove the vintage Weaver 4x scope and mount one of my good Leupolds on it.

Regarding the original metal buttplates- this one looks nice and original, but I guess I've gotten spoiled to nice soft recoil pads. Between the 721 and the Marlin .44 magnum this morning, my shoulder is rather sore.

Try something like PAST recoil shield
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699...d-ambidextrous

Or you could just put a sand bag between that metal plate and your shoulder

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast