Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 721

Banned

My son's model 7 will open with the safety one as well. It's a feature I don't like, but that's the way Remington makes them it seems.

You're gonna like that old 721, I think. Good rifles and were truly innovative in their time.

That's the way they were made.
    Flintlock, Round Ball & Black Powder - Life is Sweet

Caution Notice on powder container - "Be certain no embers are smoldering in the barrel before reloading" - SO I ALWAYS BLOW DOWN THE BARREL AFTER FIRING! Its easier than wet swabbing.

NMLRA - 'Not Muzzle Loaders Really Anymore'!

Boolit Master
    When I was about 18 I went hunting with a couple of neighbors one afternoon after we got done taking down tobacco. Mr. Frank, who was about 60-65 at the time (60 doesn't seem so old any more, that was about '91-'92) had a 721 and a Weaver scope on it. .30-06. The gun and the scope and even the stock were all worn just about the same color gray. I knew what it was, and even though I though stainless and plastic was new and cool, I'll never forget looking at that old rifle. I've been afflicted by "old man guns" ever since then.

We had another neighbor (per another thread) with a Winchester 54 .30-06 with a peep on it that stayed in a rack in his living room. His skill with it was locally legendary. I used to drool over it when I was a teenager.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, no real useful information here. Just reminiscing.

In Remembrance
    Old man guns?????? C'mon now.

Boolit Buddy
    I loved the 721 I had in .270 win. It was an absolute tack driver with 150 grn bullets. As for opening the action with the safety on...I think that is a great feature. You can safely unload the rifle never ever having it on the fire position. Great system. How else would you unload it without a hinged floorplate....with the safety off, no thanks.

Glad you went back and got it. THey don't make em like that anymore. Good scoop

In Remembrance

I have a 722 in 222 that I bought for $200 a few years ago. It's not for sale! I was doing some wiring for a rancher a couple years ago and had the rifle in my truck. He asked me to shoot some of his prairie dogs and I was happy to oblige. He was so impressed with the accuracy of the rifle that he was a little offended that I turned down his generous offer for the rifle.

Boolit Master

had a 721 and a Weaver scope on it.
    I have an old steel Weaver scope just laying around, just realized what I need to do with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, no real useful information here. Just reminiscing.
    No worries. I think most of us here like old stories. Reminisce away.

Boolit Master

I recommend pulling the action from the stock and soaking the trigger assembly with solvent until all the old solidified oil is flushed out, followed by getting all the copper out of the bore with something like Sweet's 7.62 potion. I did that to a 722 in .300 Savage and it now shoots like a varmint rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 721 in .270 caliber with a K6 Weaver scope that shoots 130 grain less than 1 MOA. It was bought new by my father just after he came back from WW2, so has lots of sentimental value.

I have followed the problem with the trigger design. You have to remove the safety to open the bolt. There were situations where the rifle would fire when you opened the bolt after releasing the safety. At least one death occurred, and Remington offered a recall. People suggest the recalled trigger was not as smooth as the original, so I did not change mine, I just caution anyone who may be shooting it. The design continued on into the early 700's if I remember correctly. This info is easily available on the internet.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 722 in 300 Savage for many years, a very nice rifle and shooter, if a little plain looking. I sold it about 4 years ago, for well over $300 and the buyer was happy to get it. The trigger on the 721-722 allegedly have a safety problem. It is rarely possible with a worn trigger for the gun to go off when emptying the magazine by working the bolt. Simple solution, don't cycle rounds through the magazine with the gun pointed at your best friend or family member. Supposedly Remington will still refit the trigger on 721-722 for free if you send it in. A 721/722 with a decent action and barrel is a steal at $200.

Boolit Master
    if you have a problem with a 721-722 trigger, it is because the trigger was adjusted incorrectly. it doesn't hurt to glue the adjustment screws when making adjustments. as I remember, the safety had a projection on the safety lever that when you pulled the safety back to put it on safe, it raised up into a recess on the bolt. I would have to look to be sure. the safety wouldn't engage if the bolt wasn't closed. by removing some metal from the projection the bolt would work while on safe. if the trigger is adjusted right, there isn't a problem. I want to be able to slam the bolt closed without the gun fireing, on an empty chamber.

Boolit Master

The last time I checked with Remington, they were still reto-fitting the old safety Model 721's. I like 721's better than the Model 700 that replaced it, especially the early ones with 20" and 22" barrels. I want a 24' barrel in a 30-06 because I normally use slower burning powder in my 30-06's(bolt rifles that is). I also like the old Model 30's, great rifles and smooth as silk. My grandson has my Model 30 in 06 and it still will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards as long as you feed it a good bullet with IMR 4350 powder. I guess I'm showing my age here, but I am an old man who like old rifles. James

Boolit Master
    Fatelk, gonna do pictures? Be interesting to watch this project.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The last time I checked with Remington, they were still reto-fitting the old safety Model 721's. I like 721's better than the Model 700 that replaced it, especially the early ones with 20" and 22" barrels. I want a 24' barrel in a 30-06 because I normally use slower burning powder in my 30-06's(bolt rifles that is). I also like the old Model 30's, great rifles and smooth as silk. My grandson has my Model 30 in 06 and it still will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards as long as you feed it a good bullet with IMR 4350 powder. I guess I'm showing my age here, but I am an old man who like old rifles. James
    Same here, I have two 270's, one '06, one 722, 300 Savage and a model 30 in 30 Rem. I wouldn't trade any but one of the 270's for something like a 722 in 244 or 257. I also like the longer barrels.

Old guns for old guys

Frank

Nice buy on the Rem 721!
    My Dad has a Rem 721 in a 280 Rem he bought new back in the late 50's early 60's? and still has the Bushnell 3-9 Chief Scope that he originally put on the rifle,I've seen so many whitetail taken with that rifle.

The accuracy is still eye opening!
    Few years back I worked up some loads for him we went to the range for testing and dialing in the scope with the new rounds loaded,my wifes' uncle was at the spotting scope calling shots.
    Dad squeezed off the first of three rounds,the very first shot hit bullseye!
    The next 2 shots the spotter called miss?? not even on paper??
    We walked down to the target to see what was going on??? All 3 rounds hit the same hole,you could barely see where the one hole was a bit larger than the 28 cal. She's still a keeper!!

Congrats on the Rem 721!

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Just last summer (2011) I spotted a 721 ('06) in the rack- tag said $350- I checked it out, and everything was as it should be- stock finish was great for a rifle built over 50 years ago- bluing looked very good- no butchery evident-
    as stated by others, it looked better to me than newer model 700s- stell buttplate didn't show much wear-
    Offered $300, and it went home with me (after our lovely 10 day wait period)-
    I found a pristine Lyman receiver sight in my collection that will be soon mounted on this beauty to finish off "an old man's deer rifle".
    I hope it shoots cast well- we'll soon see--

On the price- remember, this is California- anything at all that shoots is worth $300 or more!

358wcf
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Well, you all shamed me into it. I'm usually not susceptible to peer pressure, but I gave in.

I went to the gun show this morning, and the shop that had the gun was there, as was the 721! I assumed since it wasn't on the rack the other day that it was sold. I even got it for a little less (195 with background check fee). I'll see if I can do something with the stock.

There were several good deals there this morning. A nice old Ithaca 37 for $150 and a steel-frame '51 Colt Uberti C&B for $115. I should have bought the Colt; I have a brass framed one but rarely shoot it because I don't want to wear it out. I saw a number of solid old $125 pump shotguns and $75 .22 rifles. Kind of like the good old days- if you like old guns to tinker with.
    Ah you need to share pictures and document the restoration for us.

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding the "alleged" safety problems with Remington 700 series trigger, here's a link that's worth reading. Whether you agree with the authors conclusions or not, you will know more about the trigger and how it works.

REMINGTON-WALKER TRIGGER EXPLANATION
    ©copyright 2010, H.J. Belk
    http://gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87
    Last edited by John 242; 02-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    John:
    Did you post a link to your own hard drive?
    Whatever it is it won't open for me.
    Uncle R.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast